Night Out Shooting Cubs...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the camera of course... Boring time of year so been passing my nights watching a local litter. 7 cubs, the vixen and the dog all in the area most nights. Hopefully keeps the area well stocked f

This years batch, about a mile or so from last years litter. Same vixen maybe? Who knows. (Apologies for quality, photo'd them off my camera screen)  

:

Posted Images

post-93038-0-36742400-1500410374_thumb.jpg Cracking Pictures Rabbit Hunter. I used to see this vixen a few months ago always crossing the road, chancing for food in the day .the be loads of rabbits about. Not seen nothing of any for a while but she must have had a litter on the ground

Yeah I know Neil it's a big litter.

We watched them over a 2/3 week period. Towards the end they seemed to be living without their parents, the vixen would appear about 8pm, have a scout about and then disappear into the nettles, re-appearing again 5 minutes later with all the cubs and playing with them on the grass until it got too dark for us to see them proper. We never noticed the dog until the last couple of times we went. He didn't seem to get involved but kept watch from a distance.

They've gone now and all around it the fields are being cut, so hopefully they don't fall victim to the local lurcher lads.

• Like 2

Oh, OK, well observed on your part.

I've never heard of 7 in a litter and am thinking of two litters.

In the photo of one chasing the other it looks like a larger cub chasing a young one.

I know someone said it's a vixen but that's no vixen that's reared 7 cubs IMO.

• Like 1

You could be right Neil. Could the same vixen have had one litter straight after another and kept the lot together? Or is that a last years cub that has stayed with her throughout? I don't know.

The vixen is the pic on my avatar, like you say she was very bedraggled and knackered looking.

Many years ago when i lived in a different area we once dug 2 different litters in the same earth.The terrier we were using back then was belonging to a mate of mine and a complete sounder.We dug to her 1st with 4 cubs still black in colour and soon as we broke through the little bitch moved back and we could then hear her baying away about 15 ft away.We left the cubs for now and again dug to the bitch this time with 5 cubs about 4-5 wks old and way bigger then the 1st lot.We tidied up the earth puting the roof back on both digs and leaving the cubs so as the vixon would come back to them.As we were walking up the ditch we actually saw her down the bottom end for a minute,i have heard of 2 different litters in the same earth a few times through the years.

• Like 2