Bonding

So as some of youse already know I started a few weeks back with my first 2 ferret kits. Been handling them as much as possible and thought it was time to show my young 7 month old lurcher what they where (first time for both of them) hopefully this is the start of many years of memories out in the field

IMG_6384_zpsw4b1w4bw.jpg

• Like 11

Lovely pic mate.

How are your kits coming along with regards to nipping? Are you using the knuckle in mouth method or tap on the nose method? I have two kits coming on for this season too and they are starting to understand not to nip although when they get playful they get a bit forgetful! :)

• Like 1

Lovely pic mate.

How are your kits coming along with regards to nipping? Are you using the knuckle in mouth method or tap on the nose method? I have two kits coming on for this season too and they are starting to understand not to nip although when they get playful they get a bit forgetful! :)

Cheers Lamper121

There doing good thanks mate. Have them out as much as I can letting them exsperiance as much as possible and getting picked in all kinds of ways.

There soft in my hands now mate they did nip a few times but I just put my knuckle in there mouth 2-3 goes An they soon learnt. I just find the more you pick them up An play with them the more they don't wanna bite and just accept that it becomes the norm being handled.

Lovely pic mate.

Cheers Lamper121

There doing good thanks mate. Have them out as much as I can letting them exsperiance as much as possible and getting picked in all kinds of ways.

There soft in my hands now mate they did nip a few times but I just put my knuckle in there mouth 2-3 goes An they soon learnt. I just find the more you pick them up An play with them the more they don't wanna bite and just accept that it becomes the norm being handled.

Totally agree mate, I'm using the knuckle in mouth method too and they are getting the hang of it now. Look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm relatively new to the whole hunting life and only airgun hunting at the moment, I just have a question about ferrets as I've been considering one as a pet but planned on feeding it with fresh meat that I'd shot, would a diet of fresh and I've no doubt quite bloody meat make it more inclined to bite as opposed to feeding on dried pet shop foods? Thanks.

If was me mate I would consider two as they like company and it would just as easy to keep two as one. As for feed them raw thats probably the best (best frozen for a week or so to kill off any thing they might be carrying) but I use a combo of dry and raw myself. Nipping and biting is usually down to the lack of handling, the more handling the better. Hope this helps.

Cheers Arry

I appreciate the advice arry I'm clueless when it comes to ferrets and dogs but eventually I would like a few ferrets and a lurcher, once my little girl is a bit older and I'm more educated on both species. Thanks again

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk