Back in the days when life was in black and white, a school teacher got in touch with a friend of mine who ran a field sports shop at Hampton Court. The teacher had his 5th form pupils type up a book that he had written, this book was published mostly at his own expense but also with donations from other like the owner of the field sports shop. As I was a very good friend of the owner of this shop I was given a signed copy.

The book was called 'The Jack Russell Terrier, its training and entering'

The author was David Brian Plumber (or just Brian)

The shop owner was Doug Cooper who's dog was Dylan

I still have the book and thought it might be worth a fortune but guess what, it's worth about 16 blooming quid!

post-105437-0-68445900-1499401233_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Back in the days when life was in black and white, a school teacher got in touch with a friend of mine who ran a field sports shop at Hampton Court. The teacher had his 5th form pupils type up a book that he had written, this book was published mostly at his own expense but also with donations from other like the owner of the field sports shop. As I was a very good friend of the owner of this shop I was given a signed copy.

I still have the book and thought it might be worth a fortune but guess what, it's worth about 16 blooming quid!

Haha! Some of his other books go for a wee bit more than that though mate. I think he wrote one called 'Cottage at the Edge of the World' which goes for over hundred in some cases!

Good craic with Doug,...Halcyon Days, eh.... :thumbs:

a friend of mine who ran a field sports shop at Hampton Court.

Was CTF at Hampton court mate?I thought they were in Sutton?I live very close to Hampton court palace,i used to order nets etc from CTF when I was a kid in the north east,didnt know the shop was so close.

I wish I had the slip ons he used to wear while lamping foxes in the ice and snow pmsl now they would be worth a mint and a collector's item lol

• Like 3

Was CTF at Hampton court mate?I thought they were in Sutton?I live very close to Hampton court palace,i used to order nets etc from CTF when I was a kid in the north east,didnt know the shop was so close.

Yes, CTF was at Sutton run by Doug's dad, it was a funeral pallor. Doug used the company to start the Field Sports Shop at Hampton Court.

• Like 1

Yes, CTF was at Sutton run by Doug's dad, it was a funeral pallor. Doug used the company to start the Field Sports Shop at Hampton Court.

Didn't know that mate,when I first came to the area there was an archery shop near bushey park and a fishing tackle shop on the other side of the river,interesting :thumbs:

I remember Doug,got my first lamp kit from him,met him few times back in the day,he used get to the gamefair,when it was run by the cla,they didn't like him because they said he sold too much stuff for poachers,nice fella,must over 40yr ago,you could get some rare stuff from him,still got my original lamp, the old blue eye,wonder what ever happened to him?

I remember Doug,got my first lamp kit from him,met him few times back in the day,he used get to the gamefair,when it was run by the cla,they didn't like him because they said he sold too much stuff for poachers,nice fella,must over 40yr ago,you could get some rare stuff from him,still got my original lamp, the old blue eye,wonder what ever happened to him?

Most of that era have passed on,...a few left,...but not many... :victory:

I remember Doug,got my first lamp kit from him,met him few times back in the day,he used get to the gamefair,when it was run by the cla,they didn't like him because they said he sold too much stuff for poachers,nice fella,must over 40yr ago,you could get some rare stuff from him,still got my original lamp, the old blue eye,wonder what ever happened to him? Most of that era have passed on,...a few left,...but not many... :victory:

With Brian Plummer, Bill Brightmore, Mick Douglas and Doug Cooper gone, you're right they have, but this one is returning to the UK soon to see what's going on after 30 plus years away and out of the game. Don't worry I won't be knocking on any doors but hopefully will bump into a few, now very old associates at the shows. BTW, Doug died after getting aggressive cancer thought to be brought on by using a wasp killing chemical in confined spaces without the proper mask. He was a business man through and through, he took CTF into the Pest Control business hence the wasp clearance.

Edited by Tratante
  • Like 2