Ferrets In The Heat

Theirs probably threads on this already ,I've had a look with search but I find the search function on here a bit shit .

Got my first ferret late last year and now the heat is here is just like any advice you lot got to keep them cool. at the moment he's in a large hutch in my shed that is facing the door out and said door is open constantly apart from when I'm in bed sleeping when it gets closed . He seems happy and content with the heat . I change his water for fresh cold water every day. I'm thinking of getting a frozen plastic bottle of water in there near his nest box to try chill it out while I'm at work.

Anything else you lot do to keep it chilled or anything I should be looking out for

I put frozen bottles of water in the hutches when it is warm and the ferrets will lie near them.I use less bedding as well and if it is cold mine just lie together to keep warm.

Pick your site of the hutch carefully in the garden a nice shaded area a inch welded mesh should let enough air in , and a overhang on the hutch should keep the rain off but shelter them during the heat of the day and a frozen bottle or two will help

Lost a few myself one year, and heard of a few over the years die from heat (lesson learned) I now use mist air conditioning on my cage anything above 30C I put it on. even if they dont die (lucky) at 45c you can bet they are suffering no doubt.