First Trip Ot For The Ultra

Well, I said I'd stick a post up regardless so, here goes ......

There's no doubt that it's a lovely handling little rifle - heavier than I thought but, still a lot lighter than I'm used to, well balanced and stable on aim. With 60 good shots from a 220bar fill, I have every faith that this will prove to be a good little hunting tool :yes:

I put a few pellets through it before work yesterday morning - at 30yrds, indoors, it gave 2 nice little tight 10 shot groups. The Bisley Magnums hit hard enough to drill a hole through 1 1/4" stack of brochures.

After buying the Bushnell scope for this, I heard that they don't work too well with NV add-ons - typical. Apparently it's something to do with the lense coatings.

When I fitted the Viper last night, it was like I could see the inside of the scope tube on the screen, with just a small portion of the sight picture in the middle. Reducing the magnification from x10 to x8 did help a little - I couldn't see the inside of the scope anymore but, the picture was only filling around 3/4 of the screen :rolleyes:

....... With my Hawke Airmax on x10 mag, I get a nice full screen.

Due to finishing work late and needing to grab a bite to eat, I didn't have much time to piss about so, it'd have to do.

I left the bipod off because I wanted to keep the balance as it was. I opted for just a sling and the shooting stick.

Before I head out, I like to check the weather and moon phases - last night was dry and clear with a little wind. The moon is heading toward full with 98% illumination last night - I knew that wouldn't make life easy on the open pitches.

When I got there and parked up, I decided to check my zero. There's an old gate post that has a bolt head sticking out of it. I stood 30yrds back, put the Ultra on the stick and, took 3 shots at it - each one ricocheted into the woods behind - no issues there :thumbs:

We headed off across the carpark and through the bottom gate, toward the main pitch.

There was no cloud at all so, we were casting 20ft shadows.

The main pitch has a long oval, 3 1/2ft solid fence all around it - a scan of the pitch and the bank revealed nothing at all.

My mate walked round the bottom end while I crossed the middle, toward the small stands, so that we could creep up on the treeline at the far side without being seen.

When I got there and peeped round the stand, all that was there was 2 foxes. They clocked my mate and ran as soon as he rounded the bottom end.

A check on the archery field revealed more of the same - 1 fox, no rabbits, 2 hedgehogs.

We moved onto the top pitches - there's usually some activity from the warrens in the treeline up there - normally rabbits moving about between the trees.

We hung around, 1 at either end for a good 45 mins but, again, no rabbits. All we saw was 1 fox and 2 cubs.

There is another area containing 3 football piches - it's part of the same complex but, it's separated by a 2mtr high fence.

The permission owner has said not to worry about that bit too much because he can't stand the bloke that leases it so, he likes the rabbits digging his pitches :rolleyes::laugh:

Anyway, that part is surrounded by banks and trees with farmland beyond.

Last night the gate was wide open so, at around midnight, we went in for a look.

Theres a corner in there with a couple of storage sheds - my mate likes that area because it's been pretty fruitful over the last 12 months. He hung around, watching for nearly an hour but, where there had once been rabbits, he only saw fox cubs :no:

I had the best chance of the night up in the top corner - I scanned the ground before I walked in and took up position - there was nothing there so, I stood by the corner of the fence for a little cover, rifle on the stick, NV turned down so that the IR glow didn't show up too bad.

I'd been there for around 20 mins, trying to focus on the small field of view while scanning around when a flash of white went past the screen.

I span round to look for it - there was the only rabbit I'd seen all night - big and blurry on the screen. I had no idea where it came from - it completely sneaked up on me.

It must have been less than 15yrds away and, it was alert :o

I put the crosshair right between it's eye and ear and fired.

..... I missed it and, it ran off and disappeared. Bollocks. I hadn't adjusted my aim for how close it was :chair:

After that, we checked a couple more areas, saw some more foxes, then buggered of home for the night.

I fired 1 shot all night but, the little Ultra was easy to carry and move around. I think it still needs a better run - I'm going to dig the home-brew style NV kit out next - it's more adjustable than the Viper so, I may be able to get a better field of view.

I'm going to wait for a darker night before I visit this permission again but, after what we saw last night, I'm definitely going to search for a fresh rabbit perm :hmm:

No pictures from last night but, I thought this one fitted well .......... :laugh:

post-102688-0-00243300-1494414242.jpg

• Like 5

Think you need to take the centre fires up there JJ. Loads of foxes by the sound of it lol

From what I saw last night mate, it's screaming out for it up there - we were less than 80yrds from every fox that we saw.

The thing is, I don't have an FAC and, the permission owner has stated airgun only.

I don't think the land has been cleared for any live fire rifles.

That's a pity mate.

Could explain the lack of rabbits with so many foxes about

That's what I was thinking.

Also, the rugby club is surrounded by farm land so, if the farmers have been hitting them, they may have moved in there where it's safer.

Could just be one of those days? Like buses when you want one they are never there. Always good to have more land to shoot if you have the time to give them the time they deserve. Good post Jonjon, and good luck and hunting next time.

All the very best for you and yours

• Like 1

You could always try lamping it for a bit to try and spook Charlie off the patch. If he sees you up there regularly enough he will hopefully bugger off.

It's worked on the golf course over here pal.

Before I started on there properly I was calling Charlie in just for fun to see how close I could get him. And boy did he come close!! Since I've been on it for a good while now I hardly ever see any. Just a thought?

• Like 1

Could just be one of those days? Like buses when you want one they are never there. Always good to have more land to shoot if you have the time to give them the time they deserve. Good post Jonjon, and good luck and hunting next time.

All the very best for you and yours

Cheers Renos,

From what I saw mate, I think they may be getting muscled out :(

I'm quite lucky in that my 3 permissions don't put any pressure on me to turn up - I try to keep on top of the issues and, they're always happy to see me But, I reckon I can squeeze another.

Hope your hands and arms are going well mate :thumbs:

Atb

• Like 1

That is a shame Jon but as already said, it sounds like the foxes have a well established food supply. Perhaps you are right mate, it's time to find another perm.

Phil

That's what I'm thinking mate.

I'm lucky to live in Wiltshire - there's loads of farm shops, livery yards, farms, garden centres, sports clubs, industrial estates, agricultural colleges, manor houes etc, that I can approach :thumbs:

I'll still keep checking the rugby club - it was my first permission.

...... I just wish I could have a dark foggy night to go at it.

You could always try lamping it for a bit to try and spook Charlie off the patch. If he sees you up there regularly enough he will hopefully bugger off.

It's worked on the golf course over here pal.

Before I started on there properly I was calling Charlie in just for fun to see how close I could get him. And boy did he come close!! Since I've been on it for a good while now I hardly ever see any. Just a thought?

That's actually not a bad idea Matt :hmm:

...... I've got a Ledray 1000 - it's like a spotlight on full beam. It may well scare them off if they've been lamped before.

It's got to be worth a go :yes:

Cheers :thumbs:

• Like 1

Haha..... I like the owners attitude to that bloke :)

Time to get knocking Jon....

good luck

Atb Si

Cheers Si,

The owners a good 'un mate :yes:

....... I love it when he starts moaning and ranting :laugh:

I've had a couple of places held back for a while that, I'm pretty certain will allow me to hunt if I ask :thumbs:

• Like 1

Good write up John ,

Get up on that high bank at the back by that bit of a wood , and lay up !

Ab mate

Cheers Dave :thumbs:

It's those treelines on the banks that we saw the foxes in mate.

But, you may be right about laying up somewhere - the same though crossed my mind :hmm: