Rucksack Box

Ok lads had a idea for a box to drop in rucksack & lifelong Cumbrian on here come up with a design for me, then he made it then he delivered it what a lad, anyways would like to thank him openly for sorting this out proper man wouldn't take anything for his trouble so I owe him big time so thanks again Joe, sorry lads don't do pics but Joe has them so he will oblige, top man atb Flacko

• Like 2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1mm stainless scratch plates, fitted to inside obviously.  

No bother mate, i was making a couple of new boxes for myself (double and single) as i gifted mine to a good mate. I did the 3 as i went along. The box should work well in the ruck sack, it is very li

I like the weight of these (or lack of weight) the big box will take 3 Gills a side or 2 big hobs, Middle one 3 Gills or a hob and small one 2 Gills or a hob. I normally take the small box 2 Gills, a

No bother mate, i was making a couple of new boxes for myself (double and single) as i gifted mine to a good mate. I did the 3 as i went along. The box should work well in the ruck sack, it is very light, 6mm 5 ply plywood and 3mm for the bow, stainless catch, hinges and scratch plates. i have heard people say 3mm is to light for the bow, i have used them for years with no problem. The ferrets scratch at the breathing holes that is why i fit scratch plates.

DSC_1402_zpsmr1slhpg.jpg

DSC_1400_zpsf2w89zap.jpg

I have a pic somewhere completed.

• Like 5

I think it is 10" deep 8" wide. I would agree when carrying in the bag it is deep but when the bag is laying down there is plenty of room for 2 or 3 gills or a big hob. Can't see the point in craming the ferrets up when you don't need to. They could be in there 12 hours or more.

Without seeing it in the flesh it's hard to say if this is a good idea or not. It doesn't look like it's got the footprint when being carried to be comfortable for 2 Ferrers. It's all well and good being big enough laying flat but it's going to spend a fair bit of time vertical.

What may be a good idea along similar lines is to use an old school frame based rucksack to hold the ferret box at the bottom of the frame with the bag altered above to allow breathing room

I found the template i kept of the bottom, thats the inside size of the box. As you can see it isn't much smaller than the small box i make and it easily takes 2 Gills or a big hob. I had to get it to fit the rucksack or it wasn't what he wanted. I can see the reasoning in making one of them. Ferrets are safe inside the rucksack that isn't conspicuous to all these nosey crag rat types that like sticking their sixpeneth in. It is 10" deep, so when the bag is laid flat the ferrets have loads of room. You are just a hiker out for a walk. I was just trying to help flacko out, as for not taking money, i would rather make a friend than a pound note. I will make another set of the green ones over the summer to keep my hand in, i have someone in mind to gift them to.

DSC_1488_zpsbh6f2cd7.jpg

DSC_1489_zpswxuxtenk.jpg

• Like 1

its not as deep as i thought then,,just the pic,,,, :thumbs:

as for not being big enugh,,,i dont agree,,i carry two good sized hobs in a small single box,,,its 13 inch wide,,,by 8 deep,, by 8 high,,,,and narrower at the bow....its made from 9 mil ply,,,,as aposed to my standard double that 18 wide,,,and made from 12 mil

you should check out vins rucksack box,,,its normal shape,,rectangle...but has a door at the front,,,it goes in the botom compartement of a rucksack,,,so you can still get ferrets out,,whist rabbits are on top..

I like the weight of these (or lack of weight) the big box will take 3 Gills a side or 2 big hobs, Middle one 3 Gills or a hob and small one 2 Gills or a hob. I normally take the small box 2 Gills, a small basket with 50yds net and a few purse nets in my pocket, can't be doing with carrying loads of weight, rabbits excluded.

DSC_0808_zpsko3vgh6i.jpg

• Like 4

you should check out vins rucksack box,,,its normal shape,,rectangle...but has a door at the front,,,it goes in the botom compartement of a rucksack,,,so you can still get ferrets out,,whist rabbits are on top..

Put a pic on please pal, i would think this one was a one off though. ATB

Put a pic on please pal, i would think this one was a one off though. ATB

i havnt got a pic mate,,vin wil have though