Need A Partner For My Lurcher

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best thing I ever did was get myself a busher mate. I waited and was lucky enough to get a spaniel x terrier off here. The lurcher now gets to see a lot more stuff when we are out and it's good compa

good luck with your search, will be nice company for your lurcher, get yourself a pup, bring it on to your liking, and reap the rewards

I have done mate but replys a bit scarce not as busy as this section it seems. There's plenty of working pups on other sites just if I can get one off here and parents are working or one that maybe al

Posted Images

I do like the spaniel terrier x it's just I need something that doesn't go to ground. They seem to be a little vocal which alerts the lurcher and I like that. Do you think if you have a pup you can teach it not too I just imagine if it's on scent and it wants to go it will go down

The only thing that will ever guarantee a dog not going to ground is the size. I have seen cockers and springers do it if the hole was big enough!! Obv the more terrier in the mix then the chance is greater. I think you can train them not to up to a certain point but, like you say once on scent who knows. You are just reducing the chance I think by going more to the spaniel. Having said that, the best bushing dog I have seen and probably will ever see was a JRT. A very high drive but she never went to ground. If she would have had pups I would have taken the risk and had one in a heart beat.

I understand what you mean, when I've been out bushing with a mate his dog is a great. Goes in anywhere and he's vocal which has been a great help but he has also stopped our mooching a couple of times as he's gone to ground but has done his job so can't complain but digging just not for me as I'll be out a lot on my own a lot

The JRT White Van Man is talking about is my old bitch, she sadly passed away on Thursday.

She really was a decent bushing dog and really good marking dog, she loved ratting, never went to ground which suited me, but if something was in cover she'd find it..

She pushed everything out of cover from rabbit to Fallow, she pushed one Fallow along a covered stream for 200 yards or more before it finally broke cover, hearing her yapping away and the noise as she was pushing was electric...

She put a lot of gear in front of all our dogs, gonna be a hard one to replace...

I'm in the same boat now as you mate, I need to replace her but not sure with what yet...

Sorry to hear that mate I imagine your gutted especially as she was such a good bitch for you. So wat are you thinking about getting next. Whatever you decide I hope it all goes well for you ?

• Like 1

The JRT White Van Man is talking about is my old bitch, she sadly passed away on Thursday.

She really was a decent bushing dog and really good marking dog, she loved ratting, never went to ground which suited me, but if something was in cover she'd find it..

She pushed everything out of cover from rabbit to Fallow, she pushed one Fallow along a covered stream for 200 yards or more before it finally broke cover, hearing her yapping away and the noise as she was pushing was electric...

She put a lot of gear in front of all our dogs, gonna be a hard one to replace...

I'm in the same boat now as you mate, I need to replace her but not sure with what yet...

shame when you lose a decent dog weither it's lurcher terrier spaniel or what ever there hard to replace if there doing the job you want
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that mate I imagine your gutted especially as she was such a good bitch for you. So wat are you thinking about getting next. Whatever you decide I hope it all goes well for you

Cheers mate..

I'm not sure yet, I've had a couple of offers already off some decent lads for terriers.

I've enjoyed watching White Van Mans pup starting off, he's cocker x terrier, I like the idea of the mix, had a spaniel before, worked hard but drove me mad TBH.

Had JRT's from a kid, the last one was as good as I could hope for, done edxactly what I wanted her too... only concern going down the straight terrier route again is finding another that won't drop in every walk out.

I'll see what's about over the summer and take the plunge at some point.... with a bit of luck it'll be alright

shame when you lose a decent dog weither it's lurcher terrier spaniel or what ever there hard to replace if there doing the job you want

That's the worst of it mate, I was gutted I couldn't breed from her, unfortunately she had to be spayed at 3 due to extreme phantom pregnancies, she was mental with it, when they carried out the op they said her womb was infected so was certainly the right decision, I'd have had a litter off her no problem else...

• Like 1

Yeah them womb infection are nasty good call to get her spayed some things aren't meant to be sometimes I had a bitch years back bull greyhound she was a great dog and I'd been meaning to breed her for ages and this one season id made a decision to breed her but one night I was lamping with her and the last run of the night she took a tumble and she shattered the leg to but it was like jelly I was gutted would of cost me 4 grand to put her right and I just cudnt afford it at the time and sadly and regrettably she had to be put to sleep

I've got a Russell x patt to have a look at, just under 2 years old and never been to ground neither did the parents. Hopefully have a trial with Her and if alls good then I will take her

Never lasted long the fella supposed to have someone coming to take the dog but he will call if doesn't work out so out looking again. Not bothered if I have to get pup to be honest as I can then choose what I like and I'm in no rush for another couple of weeks as I'm off on holiday for a week soon and if I don't get something in place for when I get back I'll get myself a pup from good workers as soon as I back then put the time into it

• Like 1

Never lasted long the fella supposed to have someone coming to take the dog but he will call if doesn't work out so out looking again. Not bothered if I have to get pup to be honest as I can then choose what I like and I'm in no rush for another couple of weeks as I'm off on holiday for a week soon and if I don't get something in place for when I get back I'll get myself a pup from good workers as soon as I back then put the time into it

Personally I'd get a pup mate, you ain't inheriting somebody else's problems or faults that you don't know about... always bevlucj of the draw but at least you can put the time in and hopefully reap the rewards..

Good luck