Preserving Fox Brush

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

I bumped into Miss Charlie earlier and kept her brush.

She had a rather nice brush so i would like to keep it and give it as a present later on in the nex year.

Could anyone give me any advice into this as i dont have a clue,,, And it would be a waste of such a nice brush.

You want a bottle of methylated spirits [the purple stuff] and a coffee jar, put the brush in with the spirits, fully immersed for 4 weeks, take it out, and let it dry, and then give it a light brush.If the spirit has turned the white hairs on the tip a bit discoloured, wash the brush, then let dry.

If you didn,t leave the bone on the fox, you need to get that out first.

Just as Baldie says but I've only ever left my brushes in the soak for a couple of days, maybe four or five and they've remained ok to this day. Did one last week for a friend I was with out lamping and it now hangs proudly from his rear view mirror. :thumbs: I always wash the brush afterwards under a tap and then with a whipping motion, remove the excess water. They normally come up a treat. Hang it up to dry. Hoping to do one or two more this week.

OTC, you must have left "something in" when you took the tail off. The small mustelids can be reet tough, (as in getting everything out) to strip cleanly. I've several Mink tails here and they're all a little stiff.

Snowdonia taxidermy supplies do small kits just for this purpose, but i,ve never used one, so cant comment. They will leave it supple though, but as usual, they cost money, and meths is cheap......you can even drink.......no maybe not :D

when you've taken the bone out which should of been done whilst still on the fox, i always fill with salt and then get a small wine bottle cork and stick that in, leave to hang for a few weeks :victory:

:thumbs: use a chopstick to pack the salt right to bottom making sure that you leave no gaps or else the fur starts dropping out done proper they will stay supple and last for ever its got to be the easyest and cheapest way

lloyed all you have to do is cut the skin all around the bone at the base of tail,but try not to cut

into the flesh.

pull skin away ,untill youve got a bit of room to rap a bit of bail twine around.

wrap it around twise ,and pull on twine,and tail will come off .

no need for meths,peths,saltor shit,

just hang it up in the wind.

where did you come across it then mate ?

side of road ;)

:thumbdown: Bailing twine my arse

Get a stick,, split it down the middle and place around the cut you have already made on the Fox tail.

Grip hard, stand on the Fox's neck and pull, keeping knee's bent and back straight for HSE purposes ;)

Job done :doh:

Make sure the Fox is dead before you do any of the above as they don't like it :no: