Track Greyhounds

Iv had several off the track so to speak. Only one, out of the 7 i had, worked reasonably well. She was too fast for her own good and broke her neck and got killed, tumbling striking a hare, she died instantly.

When i first got her, her recall was aloof and only slightly improoved. But, she did bond with me and i was sad to see her go, but she died happy. ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah then ive had a couple of ex track dogs as pets (not workers) both dead now R.I.P. :cry: Got a new one coming in New Year.

I am experianced though in ex track dogs and personally i wudnt get one if you want it as a worker...I have heard lots of sucess storys about ex track dogs running the fields on fox and hare (pre ban) - but not a common story for the amount of time youd need to put in training it recall,jumping ect like its allready been said youd probably do best getting a lurcher pup.

Not only this but Greyhounds are wimps its as simple as that! - The slightest cut oh my god TRAUMA :icon_redface:

Now as much as i love Greyhounds and will always have a couple lounging about the house - if i was to work a dog in the near future it wouldnt be a track dog :no:

Bad recall, easy to injure, not broken to stock, most too fragile to jump nahh put your time and effort into a nice pup :yes:

:help: can track greyhounds make decent workers? if u could get a free one to work would u bother?

No I wouldn't bother.

ddsr can I ask you a question,what's the attraction with a track greyhound?

Is it because it's free?

You would be far better buying a lurcher pup and taking the time to train and bond with it.Then in about a years time the pup will be ready to start.

I've had greyhounds for more than 20 years and never once in all that time have I considered them suitable for working.I've watched a few over the years that some mates have tried :no: I've seen them bounce off hedges,fences even stone walls :doh:

[there must be something wrong with their braking system].

A lot of them suffer from broken toes unless the ground is perfect :(

To be honest what might look like a cheap option might and often does turn into a lot of expensive trips to the vet.

Not only this but Greyhounds are wimps its as simple as that! - The slightest cut oh my god TRAUMA :icon_redface:

Whimps :o I've seen a different side of them to you FastDogz,many times I've witnessed greyhounds breaking a leg in a race and on a lot of occasions they will complete the race.

Same with injuries,if something live or artificial gets up infront of them it doesn't matter to them if they are injured or not they will still take off after it.

Have you ever been unfortunate enough to see two greyhounds fight or saw them after a fight,wimps they are not.I have unluckily been in that situation :doh: After I'd cleaned them up both dogs stood quietly as I stitched their cuts,not a hint of a TRAUMA.

Whimps :o I've seen a different side of them to you FastDogz,many times I've witnessed greyhounds breaking a leg in a race and on a lot of occasions they will complete the race.

Same with injuries,if something live or artificial gets up infront of them it doesn't matter to them if they are injured or not they will still take off after it.

Have you ever been unfortunate enough to see two greyhounds fight or saw them after a fight,wimps they are not.I have unluckily been in that situation :doh: After I'd cleaned them up both dogs stood quietly as I stitched their cuts,not a hint of a TRAUMA.

a bit dodgy on these replys :whistling: i ad aex track greyhound 2 years old when i got her she come off the track cos she use to limp when she finished a race she took a while to start running rabbits but when she got in to it she turned out to be a good coursing dog and lamping dog when she use to creep up the beam like a cat she wont a 3 out of3 hare dog but she did her job wat was asked of her :thumbs:

Must have just been my 2 then - But saying that i do take on retiree's and im not involved in racing at all so...Im giving MY point of view from how MINE have been when in the home enviorment as pets.

Saying that my brindle boy DID have a fecker of a old racing injury that caused him exrcuiating pain (and hell yes he screamed) and he ended up PTS by his 6th birthday because there was nothing that could be done to help him :cry::no:

Then there is ebony if you so much as stood on her toe (accidental) she would scream like a banshee :o

My Mums retirees the same - the slightest bit of pain is trauma. :no:

Chase through a brick wall with a broken leg they may do but i wasnt really refering to on the track - i was just giving my personal experaince :drink:

DON'T ANYONE GET :censored: WITH ME BUT DOGS THAT ARE BREED TO DO A JOB DO IT A LITTLE BETTER THEN ONES THAT ARE NOT. BUT THATS NOT SAYING THAT THE OTHERS CAN,T GET IT DONE AND IF YOUR NOT LOOKING FOR PERFECTION WHY NOT TRY A RACER?AND AS FAR AS RECALL PROBLEMS ANY DOG CAN BE TRAINED TO RETURN. TRAINING IS THE FIRST MAJOR BONDING EXPERIENCE BETWEEN MOST DOGS AND OWNERS ANY WAY.AS FAR AS INJURIES ANY DOG CAN GET HURT AND WETHER IT WIMPERS OR SCREAMS OR JUST GOES ON MAKES NO DEFFERENCE TO THE FACT THAT SOME MENDING IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE DONE. I'D SAY IN THE END MORE DPENDS ON THE DOG AND YOU THAN ANY THING ELSE. :)

I thought the same thing Tote, totally agree, they are desighned with shock resistance in mind. :yes:

I took on an ex track bitch ..........just three when I got her.One month of bonding,new name to learn,get her used to a whistle too.Sound in kennel,never any mess,quiet,good with other running dogs,and taken to job with ease.When so many "running dogs are 3/4greys does that 1/4 make that much difference?Its got me thinking,having had bedixgreys,whipxgreys,bullxgreys over the years.

I thought the same thing Tote, totally agree, they are desighned with shock resistance in mind. :yes:

Just out of interest (and appreciating that any dog can get in a scrap, given the right circumstances) would you say in general that they are given to fighting easily? Just wondering, iv'e never had a grey but have been told by peolpe who do, that they are very laid back in their ways. In racing kennels are they usually kept singly or in with others? I would consider taking one on in the fututre and would be interested in your opinions.

Cheers.

my uncle (ghengis) had racing greyhounds,he also had a retired bitch called gutsey which he worked on the lamp and caught rabbits with,when she caught them she would retreive as proud as can be,when she missed them she would hunt up and not come back for ages.

if anyone is looking to take on a greyhound my uncles old trainer always has dogs of all ages available..pm me for details

Just out of interest (and appreciating that any dog can get in a scrap, given the right circumstances) would you say in general that they are given to fighting easily? Just wondering, iv'e never had a grey but have been told by peolpe who do, that they are very laid back in their ways. In racing kennels are they usually kept singly or in with others? I would consider taking one on in the fututre and would be interested in your opinions.

Cheers.

very laid back dogs, aggression rarely shows in them but they can be deamons if they are pushed into a fight. But i also agree that they can be right wimps, screaming about the slightest thing. Ours ran straight through a barbed wire fence, slashing her leg and 3 veins in the process, blood was pissing out and the mussle had been sliced open n she didnt make a sound, just let me try and help her.

Cheers.

Greyhounds are as a rule littlefish laid back,but some can be fiery depending on the circumstances and it can be a trivial thing that kicks them off.

Most greyhounds in racing kennels are doubled up and usually they have box muzzles on,better to be safe than sorry.