Ferret Season Stops???

This is my first season ferreting, and i have had to teach myself and use this forum for knowledge from all of you wonderful people.

So my next question is...

When does the season stop?

Im thinking its different for different parts of the uk, as in when rabbits start breeding again.

Common sense tells me that if i see little rabbits (kits or leveretts) out and about, or i catch a pregnant doe, then ferreting stops?

Cheers in advance.

FF

end of feb or maybe into march as its a long summer. Going to get the odd pregnant doe it can't be helped. Then again depends on your ground you have to manage things a bit

Good advice there, say no more. You have the feel, you will know trust your feelings.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

You can get pregnant does and young at any time of the year now mate,but as Terry said it depends on your land,and more importantly the land owner.Most of ours is finished March,but some land owners want them gone regardless,if you want to keep the permission and he rings you in June,its time to get the nets out lol.We gained a lot of permission through people not turning up when arranged/needed and thats what we do ....Youll know its time when theres babies bolting every time you drop a fert in atb Dave

• Like 1

Depends what your doing ferreting ,pot hunting stop when you want, first pregnant doe or kittens running about , pest control mid april for me a bit more spade work but the spade comes out plenty anyway so what does it matter

• Like 3

Cheers guys,

The only trouble i have is no finder, so i have to rely on calling them out.

It maybe luck or i like to think they like me but, they do come out, but ive heard of them finding a litter and eating down the hole and laying up.

Most of the warrens i do are in open field but are on a steep incline so i would expect them to be deep and are into stoney sand.

I have permission to shoot over the land too everything pesty so i can always use the air rifles, if i do feel its time to put ferrets away.

I just love ferreting so much, its great. I dont know of many that ferret around my area, but all the permissions are taken up by shooters.

FF

Get a locator unless you want to lose the ferret at some point. The ferret can get stuck behind a dead rabbit in narrow tunnels. I normally finish when half the doe's I catch have young in them, which was last month for me and due to the fact that the bunnies have been scarce this year. But I usually go till at least april if theres plenty rabbits around. I dont get many rabbit jobs but would go anytime of year when one does come up.

• Like 1

Another thing if you or the farmers no bothered you can leave a few for breeding stock you don't have to kill every rabbit most farmers could supports a few rabbits it's just some farmers get really excited when they see a few rabbits

• Like 1

As above,we allways work on the principle of not killing next seasons sport,this is fine on most of our perms.However the garden centre/nurseries and riding schools wont tolerate them at any time lol On one of the nurseries we do a couple of rabbits dug into a huge polytunnel,and over a week or so destroyed £5000 worth of plants....the owner was not impressed lol