Big Rabbit Chasing Goes To Court

That was a while ago.600 euro fine each. They live only round da corner from me.was there third time caught so

and there was I thinking it was current ffs,it was just sent to me by a greyhound coursing buddy thats really a lurcher man ,lol......how old is it SS?

yeah 2 stags,head cut off one,the other found alive but severly wounded,put to sleep by authorities,,,there'll be zero tolerance on ''WILDLIFE'' crime the way things are going,killed by gun men too i might add

Couple more from 2015 below, 2 different versions of the same story, goes to show how the media blow things up an make some things up as they go along..lol.. as the saying goes, paper never refuses ink.. !

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-illegal-hare-coursing-tipperary-earlier-2414467-Oct2015/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/hare-coursing-arrests-inquiry-362567.html

Lurchers are bred using greyhounds and other herding dog breeds, and can be used to catch hares without killing them. The hares are then used for coursing on farmland.

“They go into a field and let off a hare and could have three, four or five dogs after it. The hare has no chance,” a garda said. “They’re coming from all angles of the field.”

I found this rather strange....

• Like 2

Lurchers are bred using greyhounds and other herding dog breeds, and can be used to catch hares without killing them. The hares are then used for coursing on farmland.

“They go into a field and let off a hare and could have three, four or five dogs after it. The hare has no chance,” a garda said. “They’re coming from all angles of the field.”

Had the garda a hip flask of curacho ?
  • Like 1

Had the garda a hip flask of curacho ?

It sounds like nothing I've ever seen or even heard of and I very much doubt if the guard had seen that happen either. It sounds like he came out with a mish mash of misunderstood, garbled up and neurotic semi fictional anecdotes. :huh::hmm::yes::laugh:

• Like 2

To put these press reports in context

Many of people involved in this kind of illegal coursing are members of the travelling community poaching on the preserves of the local coursing club, the clubs can never say that they are nurturing or trying to protect the hares for their sport, as it draw the 'antis' on them

As well as being a lifetime Lurcher man, I have been a member of a park coursing club for many years, and there are very strict rules on running a coursing meeting from the point of view number of hares per courses etc, hares are netted for up to 2 months prior to the meeting and acclimatised to the coursing field, the escapes etc, and the hares are only ever coursed by two dogs

The rules state that the hares must be released back into the wild where they were taken from, straight after the end of the coursing meeting or the next day at the latest.

While the hares are being acclimatised they are in an enclosed park, 10-15 acres of fenced grounds, so you can imagine the scene to come into look after hares a couple of days before running a meeting to find 60 to 70 dead hares, torn apart by packs of dogs. Seemingly the 'Sport' is betting which out of a pack of dogs kills the hare.

It helps them that there is about 100 hares in that 15 acre field with no way out, bit of a bloodbath really.......and one of the favoured pastimes of the 'travelling sportsmen' , especially when we are kind enough to put in months of work to provide them with a lots of hares....

The upshot for the coursing club can be bankruptcy, no annual meeting and if run the following year club members must provide a night watchman service to mind the hares.....so we members sit for hours in a field at night for a couple of weeks before a meeting....!!

The coursing clubs try to survive between the Antis trying to shut them down and 'Knackers' with Lurchers trying to wipe out the hares prior to the meeting,..... generally we can cope with a few 'Anti' gobshites with placards, but because of the Ban in UK the next target will be Ireland, and while the various hunting sports try to not draw attention to themselves or their sports, these b*****ds bring the spotlight on us all, and then we are all guilty...and we are viewed in the very same light as these Sportsmen.