Permissions... To Many?

ive got 8 perms that me and mate share 4 are local and within 15 mins drive -mostly ferals woodies crows & a few rats other 4 are a decent drive away and are keepered -these are all woodland and its where I do my squirrels shooting and rookery -if i,m really honest you can have too many perms -this is enough for us ------------------------------ for now lol

• Like 1

3 years ago i put 30,000 miles on the motor just for hunting i was off out shooting , hunting or ferreting every chance i got , folk said can you get me and i said aye i can have it by next weekend we had great times killed a lot of stuff but the buzz wasnt there it was turning into work now i plan to ferret most places 4 times a year if i want i can go out with the guns and have a go enjoying myself a lot better

• Like 2

How many permissions is enough? Apologies those looking for there first, legitimate question.

Just a thought I had a moment ago as I ask for another reference from one of my land owners. I have 5 at the moment, 4 I visit regularly, 1 I've not been for a while, like 6 months and I know very well how lucky I am but I've worked hard for those, but, I'm always on the look out for new ones and the possibility has arisen of perhaps two others.

My issue is and it's a good issue to have, am I, or we, spreading ourselves to thin with more than 2-3? After all, as much as this is a hobby to us, a land owner sees it as a service. And if a job isn't getting done well enough, i.e. Not visiting enough due to so many other permissions... you catch my drift... Get someone else in.

My landowners always ask how I'm getting on, to which I say yeah great, got this that and the other, even if I haven't, but it's just something I've thought about.

So, is to many permissions actually a detriment?

can i ask, how do you manage to get soooo many perms ? are you a game keeper or a pest controller ? FT

How many permissions is enough? Apologies those looking for there first, legitimate question.

Just a thought I had a moment ago as I ask for another reference from one of my land owners. I have 5 at the moment, 4 I visit regularly, 1 I've not been for a while, like 6 months and I know very well how lucky I am but I've worked hard for those, but, I'm always on the look out for new ones and the possibility has arisen of perhaps two others.

My issue is and it's a good issue to have, am I, or we, spreading ourselves to thin with more than 2-3? After all, as much as this is a hobby to us, a land owner sees it as a service. And if a job isn't getting done well enough, i.e. Not visiting enough due to so many other permissions... you catch my drift... Get someone else in.

My landowners always ask how I'm getting on, to which I say yeah great, got this that and the other, even if I haven't, but it's just something I've thought about.

So, is to many permissions actually a detriment?

can i ask, how do you manage to get soooo many perms ? are you a game keeper or a pest controller ? FT

It would seem I dont have the amount that some do here. But my very first one came about when I asked a accountant friend who's well connected if he knew any lands owners. To which weeks later he called me and said call this number. So I did. It was a farmer in the surrounding county. I went and met him, and started shooting there. Then I went to old letters route. I blanketed the area around where I live. But with a twist, I didn't approach them for shooting vermin, I asked if I could 'just set a target up on there land'. It seemed a bit of a softer approach to just get on the land. 2 weeks later, a call back and he said I can shoot my targets in his field... "As long as you get rid of the rabbits first..." :) You see, my plan worked to some extent. Then word spread as I did a half decent job, and I ended up shooting on his colleges land, and then an estate.

Getting permissions is always about who you know, not what you know.

Now with those, I can use the references and my insurance as a way in to others. Thats kinda how it worked for me.

• Like 4

i have 5 permissions 3 off them halfhour drive away and all on the same road nextdoor to each other 2 farms either side with horse livery yard in the middle witch produces plenty off rabbits and the other 2 farms have corvids rabbits and odd fox now and again one of the farms and livery yard can go when ever i want but the other farmer likes a phone call wich i can understand . then 10 mins away i have a garden centre and golf course the garden centre has the odd rabbit to go at but not big numbers 2 or 3 is all i manage to get when ther the golf course took me 8 month to get on to after meetings paperwork and other authorities to go through but with the golf course practice greens and land surrounding it i got about 230 acres so worth it and yet again i can call when i want as long as it dark and golf course shut . the head green keeper keeps intouch with me were the rabbits are digging up and coursing damaged but apart from that i have no pressure of them and been there 2 year in summer .

Wow. I can't imagine having so many permissions.

I have just one , although decent one (large farm surrounding the quarry) and technically it's not even mine - belongs to friend of mine, but we always go hunting together. The downside is that I can't go if he can't go.

Two factory perms with the surrounding farm land on one .

The old perm as we call it nice little farm not far from where we live

Then theirs the three farms right next door to each other that we call the 6500acres

as that is the size of all the land when you put the three farms together

and thats enough for us lol

mind could do with a rat perm :yes:

And how did we get started we were doing what every one else douse when they have no land to shoot on lol

POACHING :whistling:

Only we got court ,and ended up with the permission and signed permission to boot and the rest just follow,d :laugh::yes::D

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Two factory perms with the surrounding farm land on one .

The old perm as we call it nice little farm not far from where we live

Then theirs the three farms right next door to each other that we call the 6500acres

as that is the size of all the land when you put the three farms together

and thats enough for us lol

mind could do with a rat perm :yes:

And how did we get started we were doing what every one else douse when they have no land to shoot on lol

POACHING :whistling:

Only we got court ,and ended up with the permission and signed permission to boot and the rest just follow,d :laugh::yes::D

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

And i would not suggest anybody going down that route , it could land you with 5 years inside