Beagle X Big Land

FKOF

She rarely leaves the field your in. Id say she's best of both worlds. 100% down to the lad who had her before me as she's getting better all the time so 3 yrs old and she's still learning, this is her first season on reds only. Had her out today she's worked well.

Edited by FKOF
  • Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've hunted a number of pure beagles on rabbit pest control & found a terrier x beagle to suit my needs better .I have 3 of this cross ,they stick like glue once they put up a rabbit in heavy cov

Why don't you lot chill out and. Feed some bull x beagles, you'll be ok then. Bugger me you lot over complicate stuff.

Spaniel/beagles are the way forward with a good man behind the dog there unstopable and a pleasure to watch work.   Spaniel terriers are great ditching dogs but cant live with the spaniel/beagles wh

Posted Images

She rarely leaves the field your in. Id say she's best of both worlds. 100% down to the lad who had her before me as she's getting better all the time so 3 yrs old and she's still learning, this is her first season on reds only. Had her out today she's worked well.

Would like see that bitch of yours work . Like I say most people I no have them for working far out si be good to see them work in a different style .

I've got a young bitch here , she,s 3/4 beagle harrier 1/4 springer Russell .I've put a lot of time into her , she,s got very good recall very obedient and hunts up well she,s only 12 months old BUT ....... she will follow a scent zigzagging in and out of hedges ditches out into the field wherever the scent goes but she,s heavily relying (spelling) on her nose and not using her head , which may come in time I have seen her walk straight past cover scenting the ground only to come full circle to the back of cover and then enter to knock something out , also when in dense woodland and on a scent she will follow on out of sight getting her back is not a problem at all , but as time,s gone on she,s pushing on a lot harder and that could be a problem , when not on permission and she's in full voice and takes the lurchers with her what they catch out of range can/

will be problematic ,when pushing out woodland on my own can't help think that she,s driving quarry away from me and the lurchers , I've been watching her and she,s doing nothing wrong at all.(what she,s bred for) but think unless there's a few of you working the wood , driving the quarry to waiting guns or dogs on slip leads there would be better dogs suited to that task .............

Edited by singles

How bigs she mate

she,s 17/18 in tts , and will flatten cover , I've always managed to not have a bushing dog ,and have had some very good hunting up lurchers that put their fair share away by for the last 3 seasons my mates had a couple of beagle spaniels that did and still do a very good job but me always going against the grain said did,nt need 1 , then when I lost my older lurcher last year I also lost my busher in him and decided its time!!!was looking for 3 quarter springer 1 quarter beagle and ended up with my bitch , her dam is beagle x harrier sire is beagle x springer x beagle Russell ,

Basically they work infront of me mate soon as they get on a Charlie there away then, they come back soon as they've lost him, the bitch works similar but don't stray as far soon as there on I just leave them to it but the bitch always comes back first and don't stay on the scent as long as my other dog.

With all the areas you state your dogs can bush and how proficient they are at their task do you not find it frustrating that they can lose a scent and their ambition with such ease.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I've hunted a number of pure beagles on rabbit pest control & found a terrier x beagle to suit my needs better .I have 3 of this cross ,they stick like glue once they put up a rabbit in heavy cover ,that's what I require ,I find they are better at finding a rabbit than some of my terriers and are better at catching one than my pure beagles were however I do have a foxy bitch (type of JR here in NZ ) that's sticks & catches just as good . I also have a spaniel x JR who's a very good hunting bitch . A great dog doesn't know how its bred nor does it care ,its only knows its a dog and it loves hunting rabbits .For those of you you might not know we have a HUGE number of rabbits in certain parts of New Zealand .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 4