To My Sunderland Mates That Traveled To Game Today

As far as England is concerned I'm with Max on the Defoe argument, let's face it England are a struggling international side but like Sunderland in the PL (just not quite as shit lol)... Defoe makes goals out of nothing, absolute natural finisher, he also runs his ass off, offering outlets down the channels... why he has ended up at a struggling side I'm not sure, but he scored plenty for Tottenham too...

Kevin Phillips on the other hand, was no doubt a great finished but there were better options for England at that time, Shearer and Sheringham were a dream front pairing, then players like Ferdinand and Fowler (IMO the best finisher of the lot) were banging on the door, look at Ian Wright too, great goal scorer but struggled for England... I just don't put Phillips in some of those blokes class,

Defoe however hasn't got the same competition, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and Rooney firmly at the end of his career.... I don't see a better Finisher amongst them

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whats this a f****n youth club !........do they have better space invaders machines for f**k sake what a toby !

Its always comforting to know what an important club you are when clubs that are totally irrelevant to you at the opposite end of the country hope you go down !....personally i couldnt give a shit who

Changed my mind ,hope they finish bottom .

As far as England is concerned I'm with Max on the Defoe argument, let's face it England are a struggling international side but like Sunderland in the PL (just not quite as shit lol)... Defoe makes goals out of nothing, absolute natural finisher, he also runs his ass off, offering outlets down the channels... why he has ended up at a struggling side I'm not sure, but he scored plenty for Tottenham too...

Kevin Phillips on the other hand, was no doubt a great finished but there were better options for England at that time, Shearer and Sheringham were a dream front pairing, then players like Ferdinand and Fowler (IMO the best finisher of the lot) were banging on the door, look at Ian Wright too, great goal scorer but struggled for England... I just don't put Phillips in some of those blokes class,

Defoe however hasn't got the same competition, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and Rooney firmly at the end of his career.... I don't see a better Finisher amongst them

Ole Gunner Solskier was one of the most deadly strikers I've seen......but he only ever really played a bit part and there must be a reason for that.....there's a reason players like Defoe end up at clubs like Sunderland and don't get picked for England........and it's not just bad luck ;)

England don't lack ability, they lack attitude and beleife IMHO

Edited by WILF

I reckon Defoe hasn't been an England star is because he is a greedy little b*****d. No doubt he will score a few goals but he would cause he never passes.

Sorry but you can't go on about how good a goal scorer he is and be doing shite. I'd be interested in how many chances, break down of play happen at Sunderland because Defoe is hitting it from everywhere.

If you have a look Youl see why I returned.

To try highlight a very poorly little lads Personal fight against a terrible disease.

And I def did not stop posting because Safc were playing at the track and field council funded stadium that's for sure.

Theres no stripes no tassles you are a very basic cowardly big mouth.....nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

I sort of get what you are saying about Defoe, I used to say the same about Kevin Phillips as he was a natural goal scorer ..........but then I would give myself a reality check and realise that if indeed they were as good as all that then they wouldn't be playing in nothing teams.

It's like Noble for us, now I love him and was thinking that he should have fine with England but in the real world if he was really top of the tree he wouldn't be playing for us.

That's just football reality mate

It really is as simple as that.....Mark Noble is a very good fit for West Ham the way Defoe was a good fit for West Ham and is a good fit for Sunderland......players who are tops in their position.....any position go to top clubs.........when Ian Wright was at Palace it was clear he could do it at a much higher level which Arsenal proved.......the biggest clubs can see the biggest players.

Im a big fan of Mark Noble but ive never thought he was England quality.

• Like 1

Ole Gunner Solskier was one of the most deadly strikers I've seen......but he only ever really played a bit part and there must be a reason for that.....there's a reason players like Defoe end up at clubs like Sunderland and don't get picked for England........and it's not just bad luck ;)

Ole was the ultimate impact player mate, when a defence was tiring he could come on and change a game, some players need time to get into a game, not many can play off the bench... so he was used perfectly imo

I'd say Defoe would be perfect for England using your analogy then, as he must have bundles of self belief to continually perform in a shit side like Sunderland

• Like 1

Lab he's paid to score goals

He's prob the 5-6 highest scoring Premier league striker ever.

And that's after wasting two seasons in Canada.

He's been at a struggling club for two seasons where the service he is getting ain't no where near the strikers of Chelsea ' City ' Spurs ' Liverpool ' United ect and he's still banging them in .

It's difficult to argue with a fan off another club as I don't see much off him mate, I'm only saying what I see.

If he was a star striker and all round good team player no manager could turn him away. He certainly doesn't come across as an arrogant little arse hole so I've no idea why managers have let him slip the net.

Anyway I hope he bangs the goals in for ye.....maybe pass a wee bit more often though eh..??

Ole was the ultimate impact player mate, when a defence was tiring he could come on and change a game, some players need time to get into a game, not many can play off the bench... so he was used perfectly imo

I'd say Defoe would be perfect for England using your analogy then, as he must have bundles of self belief to continually perform in a shit side like Sunderland

I dont think in the same league as a player as ole but do you remember david fairclough (liverpool) the super sub certainly was a impact player and im anything but a liverpool fan.

Edited by darbo

Out of interest just checked Defoe's stats...

19 goals for England in 55 games and 7th highest goal tally in the PL

No idea why a big club hasn't took a gamble, like you say Wilf there will be a reason but it's certainly not his ability to find the back of the net IMO

Out of interest just checked Defoe's stats...

19 goals for England in 55 games and 7th highest goal tally in the PL

No idea why a big club hasn't took a gamble, like you say Wilf there will be a reason but it's certainly not his ability to find the back of the net IMO

Got to be a reason mate, I have just found out something about Carroll which has gutted me and I don't for the life of me know why we are keeping him.....