Keeping the dogs warm

Guest lurcherlamper

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kennels are sheltered from the wind and are built behind my garage. The kennels have a draught excluded entrance and the bedding area is small to enable them to maintain body temp. I also put in lots of fleece bedding. I also ensure my dogs are never kenneld wet.

What bedding would you recommend for a dog that rips its bedding to bits, will still be warm and won't get all over the place? This whippet of mine can trash a duvet in about an hour.

We have the same problem with our lurcher - she is now bedded on fleecy horse stable rugs cut in half so that they can be washed.

gnipper, you could get old blankets and towells from charity shops if the dogs shreds them. Mine occasionally shred the fleece bedding but I have supply, although thats running low. I got a couple of rolls at the midland a couple of years ago.

What bedding would you recommend for a dog that rips its bedding to bits, will still be warm and won't get all over the place? This whippet of mine can trash a duvet in about an hour.

use shredded jay cloth mate you can it from most greyhound tracks ..............

How do you keep your t hat are kenneled outside warm? Im looking for ways to improve the comfort for my dogs. Currently i've got shed with a square cut out the side with a run attached, i got a new pup which thought it was big and clever to piss and shit in side the shed. So today i put the kennel in the way of the square gap within the shed. I put a rubber sheet down to protect from damp and then stapled blankets to the roof and sides to further insulate. Then old clothes and sheets on top of the rubber to snuggle up to a bit more. The thing is, these keep getting damp so this must make it feel colder for the dogs. How do you go about stopping yours getting damp? Also how do you protect from the wind and rain? because now there right next to the hole so open to the elements. Might just be me being a big girl but its getting cold out :tongue2: and they have to sleep there.

So lets hear how you keep yours warm

John

when dogs muck in kennels its usually because the kennels too big try boxin it off inside.

My fathers just been fitting me a new covered run on the side of my shed. It has two ship lap sides, open cage front and a tin roof.

Inside the shed i've build a thick ply bedding box with underfloor heating.

The underfloor heating is of the type used in bathrooms, it's 150watts and cost 100 pounds with thermostat from screw fix. It's attached to the ply floor and covered with cheap ceramic floor tiles, just like flooring a bathroom. Going to use the carpet strips for the door to help keep draughts out.

Another possibility is to buy a steel tubular heater, they work out 60w per foot but need to be covered in mesh really, they are pretty much a zero fire risk. Cost about 15 pounds.

Does anybody know a good place to buy decent thick galvanised square mesh for the front of the pen?

Cheers,

Shepp

My fathers just been fitting me a new covered run on the side of my shed. It has two ship lap sides, open cage front and a tin roof.

Inside the shed i've build a thick ply bedding box with underfloor heating.

The underfloor heating is of the type used in bathrooms, it's 150watts and cost 100 pounds with thermostat from screw fix. It's attached to the ply floor and covered with cheap ceramic floor tiles, just like flooring a bathroom. Going to use the carpet strips for the door to help keep draughts out.

Another possibility is to buy a steel tubular heater, they work out 60w per meter but need to be covered in mesh really, they are pretty much a zero fire risk. Cost about 15 pounds.

Does anybody know a good place to buy decent thick galvanised square mesh for the front of the pen?

Cheers,

Shepp

Depends if you want to buy new or recycle Shepp.... Security fencing is an excellent option (like the renta fence stuff), cut to fit obviously, and if you have time to ask about, you'd be suprised how much there is about thats reclaimable.... ( and I dont mean go dismanteling some in situ!! :icon_eek: )

Guest john2007oliver

I've put a small kennel inside the shed in the gap in the side of the shed stapled rubber sheeting to the floor and blankets on the side and inside of the roof. I'm gunna get a bit of carpet and nail it over the door way to add a pit more protection fingers crossed it doesn't get pull down every day :doh: