On a small back road around our village there's a cock pheasant attacking people.

He's attacked mostly women and has even attacked someone walking a dog.

Several people have footage on their phones and I've seen a video of him attacking two lads ,one of which ran away screaming like a bitch, LOL.

At our pre-season meeting the subject of this pheasant came up and because he's such a beauty some lads said they'd try and get him on the opening day to win the longest tail.

Some of us said to leave him alone and my suggestion was to throw out a few hens with him and he'd go away.

The day before the season opened our Chairman had to send out a text to all Gun Club members saying that the landowners did NOT want the pheasant shot.

On the other hand some locals said to shoot him as they'd stopped walking this road.

You can't win, LOL.

To cut a long story short, a lorry killed him on the opening day.

But I've just been reading last weeks Shooting Times and there's a story of a similar pheasant.

Is it a common thing and is it a territorial thing ?

Nothing to do with pheasants but few years ago there was a roe doe charging people from a crop of rape .She had a kid hidden therein . The final straw was when she upset a horse carrying a young rider .I was told she had to go but fate was on her side when the farm lab caught the kid ,alive and they were relocated it to some set aside.The doe was never a nuisance again and the kid definitely survived as one of the grooms saw it daily .Wildlife never cease to amaze .Reminds me of the reeves pheasant we had on a shoot once that followed us all day whistling as only they do .

• Like 4

Had some yellow,golden pheasants years ago and they were ruthless .Made the mistake of putting a few partridge and quail in with them.

Worked on a game farm years ago and saw some proper cannibalistic goings on but then again they were confined.

The laying partridge that were overwintered would devour anything that died in the night plus I also witnessed one chase down a young mouse and kill it to swallow it whole.

I was amazed at the bravery of a hen pheasant once. She was on the road wth her brood and I tried to push her and the chicks onto the grass verge to save them from being run over. She thought I was after her chicks and attacked me repeatedly. I stood back and waited until she took them off the road in her own good time as I was obviously not going to be allowed anywhere near.

• Like 1

There's no doubt about it but folk under estimate the love of blood some game fowl have.

When I used to keep Quail in a mixed aviary you rarely found dead Canary or Finch chicks on the ground. The only way you knew they were gone was when they'd be missing from the nest pan.

I've often seen my Game Fowl swallow Mice and young Rats and when I used to get any amount of minced beef for free I used to give every bird a walnut sized piece of mince most days. They used to be able to smell it and would bounce off the wire as I approached them.

But, this Pheasant who was attacking people was IMO carrying out and territorial instinct rather than a desire to kill things.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...