Ferret Coughing ?

does anyone know wht a ferret would cough for ? iv just aquirred 2 ferrets hob and jill atleast 18 months old, brother and sister. the guy i bought them off said one has a cough, of which iv just heard whilst in my hutch, can anyone let me know what this may be ? ( fur ball) saw dust ect ) of which he gave me some, imo too thin, ill get rid of it and get some proper shavings, other than that, will he / she be ok ? thank in advance :thumbs: FT

does anyone know wht a ferret would cough for ? iv just aquirred 2 ferrets hob and jill atleast 18 months old, brother and sister. the guy i bought them off said one has a cough, of which iv just heard whilst in my hutch, can anyone let me know what this may be ? ( fur ball) saw dust ect ) of which he gave me some, imo too thin, ill get rid of it and get some proper shavings, other than that, will he / she be ok ? thank in advance :thumbs: FT

Hi mate sawdust is a no no with ferrets it will make them cough change to good quality wood shavings if this doesn't stop it have a look at the back of its throat by picking it up with your thumb and index finger on the scruff of its neck much like you pick a terrier up this doesn't hurt them at all it makes them relax like there mother used to carry them this will make them open there mouth like they are yawning. Have a look at the back of its throat I have had ferrets with a small feather stuck on the roof of ther mouth hence making it cough my niece gets them out I'm not that brave LOL

I would say the sawdust is the most likely culprit if no joy then it's a trip to the vets GOOD LUCK

• Like 1

Mine had the flu this year coughing and an associated upper respitory sound that was noticeable I have encountered this before and applied the same remedy , 14 days twice a day of Antibiotic (Clavulox) treat ALL ferrets at once or it will go in circles

I would take one to the vet get it diagnosed and treat both if the above mentioned checks fail

Antibiotic won't cure the flue sirblessed,,,

They will cure bacterial chest infections however..

Check the ferrets mouth first,,very easy for it to have somthing stuck,,,bones stuck on teth is very common

• Like 3

Antibiotic won't cure the flue sirblessed,,,

They will cure bacterial chest infections however..

Check the ferrets mouth first,,very easy for it to have somthing stuck,,,bones stuck on teth is very common

The flu they get here always drops to their upper chest with infection its a real bastered, if left untreated it will kill them, spreads like wild fire, ones got it they all get it.

That being said once they had it once it seems to go past them but gets the young

Definitely get them seen to by a vet mate, it can be serious and infectious, if so the ferret prob got around 2-3 months to live.

On the ither hand (fingers crossed) might be somthing less sinister ??

Definitely get them seen to by a vet mate, it can be serious and infectious, if so the ferret prob got around 2-3 months to live.

On the ither hand (fingers crossed) might be somthing less sinister

they dont last that long when there poorly..trust me one day not looking good...next day dead if your not on the ball.. you don't get many early warning signs with ferrets.

Mine had the flu this year coughing and an associated upper respitory sound that was noticeable I have encountered this before and applied the same remedy , 14 days twice a day of Antibiotic (Clavulox) treat ALL ferrets at once or it will go in circles

I would take one to the vet get it diagnosed and treat both if the above mentioned checks fail

the person i bought him off said it may be the flu, hes given me Baytril , two squirts once a day for 5 days ! ( the hob is the one who is ill) the sister jill is fine ) atb FT

Still coughing, if still the same over the weekend i will take him to the vets, he has calmed down a bit, but still coughing, im using the stuff/medican the guy gave me, i give it to them with egg twice a day, hopefully will be better if not a trip to the vets, thanks for your advice guys, ATB FT

Don't be feeding them too many eggs mate.atb dc

the seller said give them the whole egg ( not just the york) with 2 squirts of his medican twice a day, hes not coughing as much, but still is atleast 4 - 5 times a day, they,v got a nice warm hutch, plenty of water / food ect, i even have them in the house, which the misses goes mad about lol, :laugh: .... ill let you know how they get on over the next few days :thumbs: atb FT