Indian/cornish Game Birds

Evening all, This summer i hatched half a dozen indian/cornish game from 2 different suppliers in hope to grow these on and to breed next spring to provide me with fertile eggs with the plan of hatching them and to rear for the table.

​Now my question is am i best of keeping the breed pure or to cross it with a bird with more size and muilti purpose breed such as a sussex?
​Any info and advice is welcomed as ive never reared for the table. Thanks!

• Like 1

I imagine they cross them with a bird to mature faster, I've never kept cornish but other oriental birds I have and they're slow to mature..... on a side note I bought some Carlisle game once from a local sale as they where going cheap, and the amount of meat they have was quite high, just food for thought..... but in my eyes yes, cross to a Sussex, it'll also produce hardier birds that'll rear better free range

On an episode of River Cottage they had a bit of trial to see which of 3 crosses was the tastiest and the Indian Game X Dorking won hands down.

But I remember reading somewhere before that that this cross was a good table bird.

Do your homework, do some experimenting but remember that with all livestock the end result depends A LOT on the rearing.

They say Col. Sanders used to go round the cock pits of the Deep South collecting the dead cocks.

He must have had one hell of a seasoning.

• Like 2

I imagine they cross them with a bird to mature faster, I've never kept cornish but other oriental birds I have and they're slow to mature..... on a side note I bought some Carlisle game once from a local sale as they where going cheap, and the amount of meat they have was quite high, just food for thought..... but in my eyes yes, cross to a Sussex, it'll also produce hardier birds that'll rear better free range

Aye that's a point. Yeah I knew a bloke that had some carlise game, what a dense bird they were!

​Yeah that's the idea , I mean the Cornish build isn't really ideal as I heard with them being so short and wide fertility is the breed is low but by creating crosses theyd manage better surely.

I'm sure I read the reason they crossed the Cornish with the Sussex was so the offspring layed better and to improve the breast meat quantity ?

I'm pretty sure I heard it a while ago hence me asking bud, as above id like to create a ' utility pen' mainly for meat birds with the bonus of eggs! I think ill definitely give it ago

On an episode of River Cottage they had a bit of trial to see which of 3 crosses was the tastiest and the Indian Game X Dorking won hands down.

But I remember reading somewhere before that that this cross was a good table bird.

Do your homework, do some experimenting but remember that with all livestock the end result depends A LOT on the rearing.

They say Col. Sanders used to go round the cock pits of the Deep South collecting the dead cocks.

Oh did they, I may have to try search and find that episode id like to watch that.

​Yes I couldn't agree more with the rearing side.

Remember that one with the Dorking, sure someone has them on here.

I know them cornish are not good breeders cos of the shape, fat legs.

Sussex would be a good cross

• Like 1

I've read that its best to use a female Indian game hen and male sussex. The male passes on amounts of eggs laid by young and female gives body size.plus a sussex can mate a Indian hen easier than the other way around. Im planning on having a bash at it in the spring

• Like 3

Evening all, This summer i hatched half a dozen indian/cornish game from 2 different suppliers in hope to grow these on and to breed next spring to provide me with fertile eggs with the plan of hatching them and to rear for the table.

​Now my question is am i best of keeping the breed pure or to cross it with a bird with more size and muilti purpose breed such as a sussex?

where did you get your hatching eggs from please ?only seen a few on ebay and they're fairly expensive

where did you get your hatching eggs from please ?only seen a few on ebay and they're fairly expensive

Ebay mate

Look up the breed 'ixworth', quite rare now but I think they're a cornish Sussex cross then line bred, dual purpose fowl I think

I live in the village their named after. When I first moved here, there was a game farm on the edge that still bred a few, white birds. Long gone now tho...

Yokel

Look up the breed 'ixworth', quite rare now but I think they're a cornish Sussex cross then line bred, dual purpose fowl I think

I live in the village their named after. When I first moved here, there was a game farm on the edge that still bred a few, white birds. Long gone now tho...

Yokel