Advice For A Broken Toe

As the title says lads my good young wheaten dog broke a toe last night. It's his front right paw, third toe in, second joint back from the nail. I've never had a running dog break a toe before but I had a feeling from a pup this lad could have feet trouble because he is very flat footed. I've spoken to a lot of greyhound men today and each has a different opinion, some say remove the toe, more say pin fire it, and others say leave it be and just stand him in for 6-8 weeks.

I'm looking for experienced opinions on this please lads, from lads who had it happen, what treatment and what were the results as in did it effect running/turning ability after.

I have him on anti inflammatory's and pain killers at the minute. apparently vets can't do much for a toe fracture, if I'm told otherwise here then I've no problem going down that road but I'm not one for frequenting the vets unless it's last resort!!

Cheers lads.

Let him stand has said above it'll callous over,it could be just bad luck . One needs ta see when toe repaired how the rest of the foot structure holds out.atb bunnys.

Cheers bill,

It's a sickner, dog had his first season last year and done extremely well, I wouldn't mind if he missed all of this one if I thought he would be back to normal for next year. I just want to do the best I can with him now before it's too late and not look back in time and say I should have done x y or z with him!!

Would putting a splint on help to hold it in place while its setting be any use?

Some advice given all may think differently if the toes broke it will callous and hold maybe hard ground it could play up but I would not remove it will still take the strain of twisting turning breaking etc no need ta splint it'll settle just give the necessary time six plus 2 Just give it a go early time ground still baked hard in places always wise ta wait for the ground ta ease before running with some types. Atb bunnys

• Like 3

Been there, about 15 year ago I had a lurcher that broke a middle toe in his front foot, just gave him time off.

As has been said it callused up, when I started running him at first he was feeling it after a few runs but eventually

he got over it and it never gave him bother again.

That would be the route I'd take if it happened again, the thing is if it doesn't heal and the dog is still feeling it and

the vet advises to take it off you can. But I certainly wouldn't have the toe off before giving it a chance to heal first

and to be honest I wouldn't be keen to have one of the middle toes removed as it will just put more strain on the toes

either side and there's every chance they'll end up breaking. Fair enough if it was an outside toe, I've had greyhounds

with them removed and they've ran spot on.

• Like 2

Tough call really...

Ive had one break a toe and it healed fine with rest and never troubled the dog again..

Another bitch broke a middle toe and it kept breaking despite rest ..

A xray showed it was smashed with loads of fragments..

With advice the toe was removed, however the outside toe went on to break mulitiple times & the dog was retired..

Id go for a pin before removing a toe if possible..

Hope it heals well for you..

• Like 1

Been there, about 15 year ago I had a lurcher that broke a middle toe in his front foot, just gave him time off.

As has been said it callused up, when I started running him at first he was feeling it after a few runs but eventually

he got over it and it never gave him bother again.

That would be the route I'd take if it happened again, the thing is if it doesn't heal and the dog is still feeling it and

the vet advises to take it off you can. But I certainly wouldn't have the toe off before giving it a chance to heal first

and to be honest I wouldn't be keen to have one of the middle toes removed as it will just put more strain on the toes

either side and there's every chance they'll end up breaking. Fair enough if it was an outside toe, I've had greyhounds

with them removed and they've ran spot on.

Many thanks tote,

That's the reply I was hoping to get! Getting the toe off would be my last resort I think, once it's gone it's gone!! I've seen some very impressive greyhounds come back to former glory after toe amputations, one in particular had one off on each front foot and went on to win pretty decent prize money and sold for 25k after winning out a stake.

Could be totally wrong but I think the twisting and turning of a lurcher would be more testing on the feet than a grey running pretty much a straight line. if it goes again after proper rest and time off then I may have to reconsider but I'm hoping that the risk of further damage is greater on 3 toes than on 3 and a half!!

• Like 2

Tough call really...

Ive had one break a toe and it healed fine with rest and never troubled the dog again..

Another bitch broke a middle toe and it kept breaking despite rest ..

A xray showed it was smashed with loads of fragments..

With advice the toe was removed, however the outside toe went on to break mulitiple times & the dog was retired..

Id go for a pin before removing a toe if possible..

I hope this isn't as bad as your bitch mate, I can feel the clicking if I move the toe, maybe an x-ray wouldn't be a wasted trip just to see the extent of the damage...

Back scratching the head now again!

Hope it heals well for you..

The toe will go again. Nip it in bud. If dog a runner and occupation running take the toe off.

Costs money toe lost its integrity more likely go again even after rest. Atb

The money isn't really an issue mate, well within reason anyway, But I think I'd like to try sort him with the toe on and see how it goes. Is it guaranteed to go again or just very likely to go do you think?

As soon as a dog knocks a toe up get it strapped up,it can make a big difference to its healing,ye need to try stop the swelling ASAP to prevent further damage to the toe, some antibiotics and anti inflammatory and a nice bandage dressing the stretchy type with bit of padding it can make the difference from the dog having to lose its toe, usually six weeks bandaged then hope its healed At

Cheers for the advice mate, it won't do any further damage to bandage it up I suppose so that's what I'll do. I will ring vets in to morn and enquirer about an x-ray. Taking bits and pieces from all of yer advice I think we will try bandage it, get an x-ray to show extend of the damage, then keep bandaged and leave him be for 8 weeks and hope for the best....