Closed Or Open

Again don't know if its just scotland I got 17. Hmr ,22-250 on what's classed as an open ticket on my first application. Sent in copy of two letters of permission. Neither were visited or checked.

They don't have all that nonsense in Jockland mate. Best idea. :thumbs:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless of course the land is already cleared

It does in west yorks too.

My mate lives in town centre, his garden is only 7 yards long by 5 yards wide, he has a 30-06, for stalking and Scotland, am sure they never cleared any of that, they took the paid stalking as reason

Bit confused so

If you own a 308 but have no land cleared for this round

How would you get the 308 in the first place

Where is the proof of reason for wanting the round

You can't just say just in case ........

You don't have to have land, cleared or otherwise to own a particular calibre. You have to show good reason amongst which are payed stalking, invites to stalk etc.

So if you wanted a 308/30-06 a letter confirming your booking for a payed stalk is good reason, likewise a written invitation to stalk is good reason.

• Like 1

Bit confused so

You don't have to have land, cleared or otherwise to own a particular calibre. You have to show good reason amongst which are payed stalking, invites to stalk etc.

So if you wanted a 308/30-06 a letter confirming your booking for a payed stalk is good reason, likewise a written invitation to stalk is good reason.

In your force area perhaps.

So when it comes to renewal time and the bit of land you show them is a small field, they'd just let you keep the 308? Or would you have to book more stalking?

Taking deer out of the equation, if you fancied a 223 for example, how would you get one without suitable land?

Bit confused so

In your force area perhaps.

So when it comes to renewal time and the bit of land you show them is a small field, they'd just let you keep the 308? Or would you have to book more stalking?

Taking deer out of the equation, if you fancied a 223 for example, how would you get one without suitable land?

No in any force area, paid stalking is good reason and you cannot be refused. You do not have to show ANY land at renewal time just evidence that the rifle is being used for paid or invited stalking. So a letter confiming one or the other at renewal is sufficient, no matter what force you come under.

A great deal of people hold FACs under these conditions, there are business men who have no land and very little time so they just book whatever time they can spare with a stalking estate, job done.

As for foxing calibres i do not have any experience of anyone applying for one without land, but i would imagine a similar scenario. IE: if a friend gives you a letter requesting assistance with a fox problem then in theory that would constitute good reason.Or you could own a .222, .223. 22-250 etc for paid muntjac stalking in England or Scottish Roe.

However if you owned say a .243 on an open cert for paid stalking there is nothing to stop you using it for fox or whatever if you are asked to do so.

• Like 1

cheers for all that info very interesting, like i said thinking of a 17 hornet i no it will be up to the job for fox but would a 222 be better ?

Define better? I have a .17 hornet amongst other calibres and i got it to replace a hmr. It is cheap to load for if you do load, flat shooting, quiet and just a good all round vermin calibre. Fox capable to 200yds, rabbits, crows etc to 300yds. Cheapest c/fire to run if you don't load, i can currently buy factory ammo for £16.95 for a box of 25, although i load for everything i have barring rimfire.

cheers for all that info very interesting, like i said thinking of a 17 hornet i no it will be up to the job for fox but would a 222 be better ?

Define better? I have a .17 hornet amongst other calibres and i got it to replace a hmr. It is cheap to load for if you do load, flat shooting, quiet and just a good all round vermin calibre. Fox capable to 200yds, rabbits, crows etc to 300yds. Cheapest c/fire to run if you don't load, i can currently buy factory ammo for £16.95 for a box of 25, although i load for everything i have barring rimfire.

Is that a "everyone" normal price?

I'm about to put in for a .17 Hornet and thinking bout reloading for economy. Peeps on here have said about 40p to reload. I know reloading is not all about the cost but factory is doable at that price.

Is that a "everyone" normal price?

I'm about to put in for a .17 Hornet and thinking bout reloading for economy. Peeps on here have said about 40p to reload. I know reloading is not all about the cost but factory is doable at that price.

Yes everyone can buy them at that price at the moment at the rfd i use.

It might just be Essex I'm not sure, but I'm about to be granted my FAC (had the interview and they emailed last week saying its on its way), but they have granted every thing from 17hmr to 30-06 on a first application but it's a 'semi open' ticket. I can use rifles only on land that has been cleared up to that calibre. I'm not restricted only to the land that I have written permission for and used for my application, but neither can I use the rifles where only I deem suitable. (I think that makes sense)

Does anyone else have experience of this?

It might just be Essex I'm not sure, but I'm about to be granted my FAC (had the interview and they emailed last week saying its on its way), but they have granted every thing from 17hmr to 30-06 on a first application but it's a 'semi open' ticket. I can use rifles only on land that has been cleared up to that calibre. I'm not restricted only to the land that I have written permission for and used for my application, but neither can I use the rifles where only I deem suitable. (I think that makes sense)

That's what most first time "closed" tickets are like now. I don't know of anyone limited to one bit of land.

That's what most first time "closed" tickets are like now. I don't know of anyone limited to one bit of land.

Thanks for the info. I know a few guys a while back were restricted to only the land they had with their application and had to send in the written permission for new permissions gained so they could be added to their ticket. But then I know Essex can be a little over zealous with their conditions! We will see when it turns up I guess!