Bit Of Fitness...

Gaz_1989

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the only fitness my lad does and it keeps him trim, they must cover some ground when out.

Had the busher out with the bike this morning. She's been with me a week now so her fitness is coming along but didn't know how she would fair out with the bike.   She really surprised me and was in

Posted Images

Aye interestin to see how others do it they all look well anyway lads, it might surprise you then that I only give mine about 350 grams of meat the day before there ran, anymore than that n Iv found they don't run aswell, I feed more on return and when proper winter kicks in tho but still not much more before being ran but like say I bang the meat n some offal in on return..

Mine get a tin of mackerel and 2 eggs with some cod liver oil at around 16:00 if we are starting lamping around 22:00-00:00.

Then they get a good feed on return.

If I was feeding that I'd give it at 12 or 1pm if going lamping but that doesn't mean I'm right plus eggs are digested real well arnt they so, I'd prefare tho one or the other the two eggs n some brown bread or rice or the mackerel with the same but that's just me, I always feed a wet meal pre running tho..
Yeh everyone is different. I can't see the advantage of swapping the mackerel for brown bread or rice but that's just me. If we all did things the same then it would be a boring world.
Dogs can digest a whole meal in 8 hours .... Also there is no benefits to feeding a carb based diet pre work ... If the dog is going to be worked hard then a pre diet of fatty meat is of much more benefite ...........
  • Like 2

Aye interestin to see how others do it they all look well anyway lads, it might surprise you then that I only give mine about 350 grams of meat the day before there ran, anymore than that n Iv found they don't run aswell, I feed more on return and when proper winter kicks in tho but still not much more before being ran but like say I bang the meat n some offal in on return..

Mine get a tin of mackerel and 2 eggs with some cod liver oil at around 16:00 if we are starting lamping around 22:00-00:00.

Then they get a good feed on return.

If I was feeding that I'd give it at 12 or 1pm if going lamping but that doesn't mean I'm right plus eggs are digested real well arnt they so, I'd prefare tho one or the other the two eggs n some brown bread or rice or the mackerel with the same but that's just me, I always feed a wet meal pre running tho..
Yeh everyone is different. I can't see the advantage of swapping the mackerel for brown bread or rice but that's just me. If we all did things the same then it would be a boring world.
Dogs can digest a whole meal in 8 hours .... Also there is no benefits to feeding a carb based diet pre work ... If the dog is going to be worked hard then a pre diet of fatty meat is of much more benefite ...........

That's my thinking Ken. That's why I feed the mackerel, eggs and cod liver oil. Plenty of protein and fat. Plus easily digested. 4pm gives 6 hours before I leave the house and closer to 8 hours by the time we've got to where we are going and started lamping. Plenty of time in my opinion to digest a small light meal.

The danger time for a lurcher after feeding is the first 2 hours ... After that time has passed you can run a dog safely even if it has had a full meal as it will have been broken down enough not to cause gastric torsion ........

• Like 1

The danger time for a lurcher after feeding is the first 2 hours ... After that time has passed you can run a dog safely even if it has had a full meal as it will have been broken down enough not to cause gastric torsion ........

That's good to know mate. Cheers.

I'm a fan a fan of raw food natural/barf diet whatever folk want to call it myself it's hard to beat but I just don't think it covers all basis for some dogs and needs tweaking..

Agree it's impossible to get the full range of vitamins and minerals from meat and bone alone ........

• Like 1

I know they don't need much in the amount of liver/kidney in a serving but with it being a muscle meat what's your thoughts on amounts of heart you can give in a serving socks and how often as I can get a fair amount of fresh ox heart lately, Iv been giving the lurchers about 50-60 grams in there food 3 or 4 times a week could I increase that abit more..

I know they don't need much in the amount of liver/kidney in a serving but with it being a muscle meat what's your thoughts on amounts of heart you can give in a serving socks and how often as I can get a fair amount of fresh ox heart lately, Iv been giving the lurchers about 50-60 grams in there food 3 or 4 times a week could I increase that abit more..

Could be wrong I've allways been told not to feed too much heart I've seen a litter of lurchers reared on nothing but hearts tripe n the odd leg bone every dog out of the litter went into break bones man told me that bred them heart contains something that stops dogs using calcium making there bones and teeth weak if fed too much.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

Heart is packed with vit b12 which is essential for dogs as a lack of it can cause a few nasty ailments ... I've never heard of any adverse effects from feeding to much heart ... I wouldn't feed it as a main meal as beef chicken etc is a better all round meat in my opinion .........

• Like 1