Bull Terrier X Terrier

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well FairPlay lads, I,ve owned and worked terriers since it was legal to dig and kill everything and anything, right upto the sorry state we find ourselves in today and I,m struggling to know what the

The trials were never about drawing the game,it was about working the game for a time limit in complete silence with judges listening for the slightest whimper.

I hope no one puts up a copy of the rules. It's a very private part of history in the Irish working dog game. Regarding the trials not being a game test ? I was going to stay out of a silly thread,

I hope no one puts up a copy of the rules. It's a very private part of history in the Irish working dog game.

Regarding the trials not being a game test ?

I was going to stay out of a silly thread, IMO, but to not give credit to two of the gamest breeds ever would be an insult. The trials resulted in the working type Staff and the Wheaten becoming very fine tuned game dogs. So there must of been something in the trials to produce game dogs.

IMO it was more of the level of competition than the trial itself. There were judges present and you had to have better than everyone else to get in the silverware.

Also, anyone who thinks that the ol' trial dogs of Ireland couldn't hold their own in other disciplines should educate themselves before making such statements. Even Wheatens.

Someone said they'd doubt a 20 lb dog could hold a Coyote.

If a 50 lb bulldog can hold a 100 lb feral pig or 2 Bulldogs can catch a feral steer to be branded then IMO a 20 lb dog could hold a 40 lb Coyote.

BUT, only if he wants to.

Fact is the best of these Staffs and such were about average in the APBT world. I don't see why posting the rules of a historic sport should be kept as private, hell you can find Cajun Rules plastered all over the web. What's silly about the thread? A guy was asking a honest question about what took place with his uncles dogs...

Fact is plenty of men were coming up to the Midlands to cross there pits with (about average)staffs.As for six minutes,most trial men had shores for training,the good ones done a lot more than six minutes in training.This was all a long time ago.

• Like 1

The thing is with keeping things to private that sooner or later they get lost to history..I don't thing posting rules of something that no longer happens realy matters as it's not like antis can ruin it or get it banned..if anything history of these outstanding dogs should be celebrated/admired/ respected ...not hid away like some naughty little dirty taboo secret.

I hope no one puts up a copy of the rules. It's a very private part of history in the Irish working dog game.

Regarding the trials not being a game test ?

I was going to stay out of a silly thread, IMO, but to not give credit to two of the gamest breeds ever would be an insult. The trials resulted in the working type Staff and the Wheaten becoming very fine tuned game dogs. So there must of been something in the trials to produce game dogs.

IMO it was more of the level of competition than the trial itself. There were judges present and you had to have better than everyone else to get in the silverware.

Also, anyone who thinks that the ol' trial dogs of Ireland couldn't hold their own in other disciplines should educate themselves before making such statements. Even Wheatens.

Someone said they'd doubt a 20 lb dog could hold a Coyote.

If a 50 lb bulldog can hold a 100 lb feral pig or 2 Bulldogs can catch a feral steer to be branded then IMO a 20 lb dog could hold a 40 lb Coyote.

BUT, only if he wants to.

Fact is the best of these Staffs and such were about average in the APBT world. I don't see why posting the rules of a historic sport should be kept as private, hell you can find Cajun Rules plastered all over the web. What's silly about the thread? A guy was asking a honest question about what took place with his uncles dogs...

Fact is plenty of men were coming up to the Midlands to cross there pits with (about average)staffs.As for six minutes,most trial men had shores for training,the good ones done a lot more than six minutes in training.This was all a long time ago.
Fact whoever did that had shit APBT's, the proper dog men replaced their Staffs with the APBT.

If you really believe what you've posted then I don't know what to say, folk used the Staff because that's all they had to play with. Once the APBT became popular over here the true dog men realised their Staffs weren't good enough. Don't get me wrong there's been some very handy dogs over the years but truth be told not in the same league as a decent APBT.

Edited by DogFox123

The thing is with keeping things to private that sooner or later they get lost to history..I don't thing posting rules of something that no longer happens realy matters as it's not like antis can ruin it or get it banned..if anything history of these outstanding dogs should be celebrated/admired/ respected ...not hid away like some naughty little dirty taboo secret.

But if folk shared what they know how would they be able to look cool talking about their super secret private knowledge they can't share? :no:

• Like 2

But if folk shared what they know how would they be able to look cool talking about their super secret private knowledge they can't share? :no:

I'm giggling to myself here, blokes asking people to keep secrets on a public forum of all places.... ?

• Like 1

Aye it's playground stuff pal :laugh:

Sad really, these forums should be about passing knowledge on keeping our history alive...

They aren't exactly difficult to find. I'll stand by what I said, the Trials weren't a true test of the dogs gameness....

DF,i have seen 1st hand very game dogs in the field that no way would travel a shoot,different kettle of fish completely,trials dogs had to enter a shore,travel a specified lenght of shoot before they even came in contact with there game,different story looking across a pit at whats in front of them,respect has to be given on both accounts,horses for courses as they say.

• Like 3

Aye it's playground stuff pal :laugh:

Sad really, these forums should be about passing knowledge on keeping our history alive...

They aren't exactly difficult to find. I'll stand by what I said, the Trials weren't a true test of the dogs gameness....

DF,i have seen 1st hand very game dogs in the field that no way would travel a shoot,different kettle of fish completely,trials dogs had to enter a shore,travel a specified lenght of shoot before they even came in contact with there game,different story looking across a pit at whats in front of them,respect has to be given on both accounts,horses for courses as they say.

It's not the gameness that gets them up there though, taking punishment and keep on going back for more is the true test of gameness. I'm not for one second trying to say none of the dogs were game, I'm just saying the Trials weren't a true test of gameness...

Historically speaking , I was never at the trials, wouldn't be my thing anyway, but I'm sure them dogs were game, but for a pit to take a hammering sometimes for hours in the box and still find it within to win the match IMHO thats deep game historically speaking of course, jmho

• Like 1

Hi was wondering if any of you guys with more experience with terriers could tell me if this sounds right there was a guy saying that the old man that learned him to run a trap line used a dog that was a x between a bull terrier and something he called a German terrier that would track coyote bobcat fox and Badger that pulled the traps off and if they made it to a den the dog would go in and pull the animal out of the den I was wondering if anyone of you had ever heard or seen terrier used to pull the game out I always thought they bay them under ground and the hunter dig the game out but terrier hunting is still kind of new here so I thought I would ask some people that had more of a history with them

I know of one 1/2x bull in Cali that killed a coyote underground and pulled it out. He's about 21lbs

Him and a brother of his (about 26 lbs) caught and killed another above ground. Opportunities with terriers on coyotes are very limited.

Don't know of any dog, of any breeding even managing to be regularly dug to with badger in the states, not to mind killing them.

Would depend on how much of the killing the trap is doing.

• Like 1