Horse Chestnuts And Leaf Miner

Does anyone have any healthy horse chestnut trees in their area?

Here are a few pictures of some of our local horse chestnuts trees taken last week. They are all suffering with leaf miner infestation and have been like this since around mid July. I've not seen any healthy horse chestnuts anywhere in England for several years and the only good ones I've seen are in mainland Europe, although I haven't looked in Scotland (yet).

I am surprised there isn't more publicity about this. It is crying shame to see thousands of these tress all over the country with dying leaves in July and August every year and no sign of a cure being worked on.

I emailed to the Forestry Commission about it a few years ago and they claimed that it doesn't harm the trees and is only an aesthetic problem. However more lately other 'experts' have said that it does have a detrimental effect, as well as making the trees more prone to other, more fatal diseases.

01%20IMG_3681e.jpg

06%20IMG_3663e.jpg

08%20IMG_3706e.jpg

09%20IMG_3710e.jpg

Had a look around the local park today where there are horse chestnut, and red flowered chestnut trees.

The red chestnut were showing some signs of the leaf miner,

IMG_0240_zpsquesamxk.jpg

IMG_0238_zpss1qudter.jpg

Less than 50 yards away there was a Horse chestnut that looked just fine.

IMG_0266_zpsfexrv4qj.jpg

IMG_0265_zpsaajsqq4y.jpg

TC

Edited by Tiercel

It's interesting that there seems to be some that are OK. In fact thought I passed some youngish ones the other day that looked OK, so I am going to go back and have a closer look soon.

Got one in the garden, gets weaker every year, think it's at it's worst at the minute. All the trees in the area here that are next to roads have it. And Ash die back is every were here, you can see all the young trees at the side of the roads are dead or dying.