• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this winter will be the fifth hunting season for my little bitch, theres 45 years of breeding on her dams side and the same on her sires side, iv spent a lot of time on this bitch, and had a lot of pl

Its how you fetch them on..   I run small land ,fells and moors..   Mines dynamite  

you've obviously never been if you think it's easy , it takes a special type of dog to kill down there

Posted Images

I wonder why the saluki hasn't taken off in Australia like the deerhound crosses have

how many "deerhounds " worked down under are pures? Or are their staghounds line bred deerhound crosses?

I don't think the saluki is strong enough for the quarry that's run in Australia the deerhound offers roughly the same characteristics as in endurance and hardiness but with the added bonus of size and

How big a dog do you need ?

I wonder why the saluki hasn't taken off in Australia like the deerhound crosses have
how many "deerhounds " worked down under are pures? Or are their staghounds line bred deerhound crosses?

I don't think the saluki is strong enough for the quarry that's run in Australia the deerhound offers roughly the same characteristics as in endurance and hardiness but with the added bonus of size and power

I don't think the saluki is strong enough for the quarry that's run in Australia the deerhound offers roughly the same characteristics as in endurance and hardiness but with the added bonus of size and power

How big a dog do you need ?

In England I do sort of agree with you the saluki is a just as good as a proper deerhound and can do what the deerhound can and sometimes better but in Australia when it was legal pulling a 7 foot kangaroo or a 250 kilo pig the deerhound is a better choice than the saluki but enough about Australia back to discussing England

Most lads here hunt pigs, where you need strength, endurance and jawpower. Salukis would not be suited for pig hunting. I have to say deerhounds are not ideal either but i would rather a deerhound for pigs. Salukis could easily run down kangaroos or wallabies, if it were legal, but dispatching them is no easy feat for a dog, especially one out. The staghound (deer x grey) or pure deer, i believe is better suited to this task, especially big male kangaroos. I dont mean to take anything away from pure salukis as it is obvious to me they do things a deerhound could never do but i think for the quarry here deerhound or deer crosses are more suitable.

• Like 1

Birds Buck more a one off man and dog team max mate but I doubt run for run it would out last a good pure on bigger game

Me n me pal take you lamping with pures this year local max between your place n ours n back ought too be enough too prove point of pop over in day anytime n I show ya first hand not a mile from mine

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 2

Coursing dog x Sal bull grey simple answer for someone wanting high geared dog for bigger stuff far out perform deerhound, greyhound, dhx gh, collie x grey bull etc

I agree with you there and a dog like that would carve up kangaroos (if it was legal) and pretty much anything else on this continent, but i would prefer something stronger and thicker with more jaw power for holding boars.

Arctic I'm not saying Sslukis won't catch bigger game

I was just pointing out they would not benefit the deerhounds we have today in any way if deerhound fanciers were trying to get their stock more towards the dogs of yesteryear

I also doubt Salukis on a whole would of bettered Scottish Deerhounds of yesteryear on a whole up them Scottish Highlands Raceing thru that terrain after Reds.

But a night or two out this winter would be great as would a day out.

I do not know how salukis would go against deerhounds of yesteryear but i agree greyhound would be better to 'recreate' the breed. If Saluki was used it MIGHT make a superior running dog but would change the temperament and build too much imo. Aparently theodore roosevelt had some success running pronghorn with deerhounds so they had to be pretty awesome back then.