22 Hornet: 35Gr V-Max

Happy with how my Hornet performed at 100 yards today. Took my first rabbit and woodpigeon at 120 yards. The headshot rabbit was, shall we say, humane!

Think I'm settled on a load using the 35gr V-Max. 12.5gr of Lil Gun; Winchester Brass, CCI BR4 primers and a COAL of 1.730 which, fortunately, just fits in the CZ mag.

The shot on the left was the aim point and three shots fell within the group on the right: collage-1467572753181_zpsshmowrzd.jpg

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

Thats a good load in your hornet mate,and lil gun produces quite low pressures at a good velocity, my hornet performed very well with H110 and the same bullet, as always when dispensing hornet loading advice, the Lee case flare and factory crimp die, are almost essential in my humble opinion,assuming you dont use them already of course, as your grouping is very nice.

Thanks Charlie, it's performing really well. In fact I've found it really easy to develop a good load.

Incidentally, I haven't crimped any of the rounds. A good dechamfer helps the flat base bullets to get seated. Without that I think it would be difficult to seat the bullets in the mouth of the case

• Like 1

Yes I agree mate, and the Lee case flare die puts a tiny gentle flare on the case neck, which does a superb job of seating the bullet,in fact it almost feels too slack upon seating,but it is not, but mate seriously for the sake of a tenner or so, get the factory crimp die, your groupings are good, as I said, but the crimp die will probably tighten them further, will almost certainly eliminate the odd flyer, and will DEFINITELY, eliminate the occasional and very frustrating bullet being pushed down in the case neck,something that the hornet with its thin brass and long case neck does suffer from occasionally, get one mate, they really are worth the small outlay :thumbs:

Yes I agree mate, and the Lee case flare die puts a tiny gentle flare on the case neck, which does a superb job of seating the bullet,in fact it almost feels too slack upon seating,but it is not, but mate seriously for the sake of a tenner or so, get the factory crimp die, your groupings are good, as I said, but the crimp die will probably tighten them further, will almost certainly eliminate the odd flyer, and will DEFINITELY, eliminate the occasional and very frustrating bullet being pushed down in the case neck,something that the hornet with its thin brass and long case neck does suffer from occasionally, get one mate, they really are worth the small outlay :thumbs:

My apologies if this takes things a little off topic, but do I remember you had a 17 version CC, what is your longer term opinion please?

Cheers

Not me mate, I only had the .22 I would like to see one in operation, and all the reports I have heard have been positive, but if I bought one, I dont know if I could rid myself of the niggling doubt about if I should have got the .17 rem :hmm:

I'm obviously getting old/forgetful!

:laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1

I'm looking to put in a variation soon. Just looking for more reach than the .22lr. Can't get away from the .17hmr for price but reloading might appeal. What are the practical differences between the .17 hornet and the .17 Rem and what roughly are the costs?

Ok I hate the .17 hmr but I have to say its cheap as chips to run, and an effective round out to 150 yards or so, and it will do on foxes at close IE 70-100 yards range with a well placed shot, now the .17 rem.... a necked down .223 rem case capable out to 300yards plus, factory ammo is not that easy to get hold of, and is expensive, that said, if you re-load for it, it would be comparatively cheap to run, and oooooooh so much more fun than an hmr, the .17 hornet falls somewhere in between and is probably a good compromise, so might well be worth a look mate.

Ok I hate the .17 hmr but I have to say its cheap as chips to run, and an effective round out to 150 yards or so, and it will do on foxes at close IE 70-100 yards range with a well placed shot, now the .17 rem.... a necked down .223 rem case capable out to 300yards plus, factory ammo is not that easy to get hold of, and is expensive, that said, if you re-load for it, it would be comparatively cheap to run, and oooooooh so much more fun than an hmr, the .17 hornet falls somewhere in between and is probably a good compromise, so might well be worth a look mate.

Agree but it, the 17rem may be based on the long forgotten sadly 222 rem magnum.

Agree but it, the 17rem may be based on the long forgotten sadly 222 rem magnum.

The .17 rem is indeed based on the .222 rem magnum as is the .204. It's realistic effective range according to three people i know who own one is 250 yds on fox and up to 400yds on crows etc.The .17 hornet is a realistic 200yd fox gun and up to 300yds on rabbits crows etc, i have the .17 hornet instead of the hmr i used to have.

Presumably, because the .17 hornet is c/f it doesn't have any of the issues associated with the hmr?

What's a rough price for the factory and reload rounds?

I assume the .22 Hornet will be more expensive.