Boxing Weigh In

The brain sits in a bag of fluid to protect it...the more dehydrated the more chance of brain injury...leave things as they are...both fighters are at liberty to put weight on...its not like they will put any muscle on within24hrs...cant really see how carrying an extra stone in weight would really be much help to a light welter over a 12round match

well say if a fighter was 13st, and say fought at light heavy 12 st 7lb, he could poss fight on the night go up 13 st 7lb near cruiser weight , surely he be stronger at the extra weight, with more punching power :hmm:
Weight gained so suddenly is unlikely to be muscle and therefore is water and fat. That's not gonna give more punching power I don't think.

I've come down 3 stone the last 6 months and my punching power hasn't suffered at all. If anything I've gained muscle and I'm hitting harder and I've definitely gained speed which affects force.

I dont think thats how it works, theyve already got the extra size/muscle they just dehydrate all the fluid out of them

I agree with weighing on the night or whatever to get rid of weight cutting but to be honest if a fighter wants to risk themselves by fighting dehydrated thats there call, what boils my piss is two equal size blokes both draining themselves down then fighting shit cos theyve no energy, just have an agreement and come in heavy and give the fans a spectacle!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its pretty much all been covered already.....but the weight a fighter gains between weighing in and fighting is the weight he will be working off during the fight....all fighters lose weight during a

Im not talking about later in the day or a few hours after the weigh in.....im talking about f****n off these 30 minute ring entrances and getting the weigh in done with the introductions......as in h

Mayfield was a great conditioner in his day but would be left behind in todays times back then the idea was drying a dog out would create more haemoglobin in the blood which using dex or azium would c

The brain sits in a bag of fluid to protect it...the more dehydrated the more chance of brain injury...leave things as they are...both fighters are at liberty to put weight on...its not like they will put any muscle on within24hrs...cant really see how carrying an extra stone in weight would really be much help to a light welter over a 12round match

well say if a fighter was 13st, and say fought at light heavy 12 st 7lb, he could poss fight on the night go up 13 st 7lb near cruiser weight , surely he be stronger at the extra weight, with more punching power :hmm:
Weight gained so suddenly is unlikely to be muscle and therefore is water and fat. That's not gonna give more punching power I don't think.

I've come down 3 stone the last 6 months and my punching power hasn't suffered at all. If anything I've gained muscle and I'm hitting harder and I've definitely gained speed which affects force.

I dont think thats how it works, theyve already got the extra size/muscle they just dehydrate all the fluid out of them /quote]

That's what I said? Weight gained suddenly is likely to be water and fat, not muscle. Hence no change to power like Ray mentioned.

I dont think thats how it works, theyve already got the extra size/muscle they just dehydrate all the fluid out of them /quote]

That's what I said? Weight gained suddenly is likely to be water and fat, not muscle. Hence no change to power like Ray mentioned.

Of course there will be a change in power, a well hydrated fighter will be much more powerful than one in a dehydrated state.

Of course there will be a change in power, a well hydrated fighter will be much more powerful than one in a dehydrated state.

But he won't be dehydrated on fight night, and no sensible fighter is gonna fight dehydrated so I don't really get your point?

But he won't be dehydrated on fight night, and no sensible fighter is gonna fight dehydrated so I don't really get your point?

Some fighters are though when they fail to make the weight correct Oscar De La Hoya was in bad conditioning when he faced Pacman.

Like gnash said ,,,let them weigh in at the fight,,,there's no excuse for not knowing your exact weight in competitive sport,,,,,,,,even Ray knows his and every dogs weight at any given time ,,lol

• Like 1

That's not how it works.

2 fighter agree to fight at say 12 stone,if one actually weighs 12 at his best lean weight, he'll be tiny compared to his opponent.

his opponent likely weighs 13+ stone at his best but dehydrated down to 12,he then puts back on his water weight in the day he has,so in effect he is just a bigger man who dehydrated up until 1 day before the fight,then comes in almost fully rehydrated.

Some people can dehydrate and rehydrate very well,McGregor is a good current example,but I always think of Corrales in boxing,early in his career at least.

• Like 1

Thats not how it works either though. Cuz the first man wouldn't of weighed in at 12 stone, he would of weighed in much lighter and wouldn't be fighting the man 13 stone plus.

It's just one of them things what happens. Not saying I agree with it. But it happens. Same as when you leave the bread in the toaster too long, it burns. I don't like it but just gotta deal with it ?

If I weigh in 12 stone well hydrated and fit to fight,and my opponent weighs 12 too but is dehydrated and rehydrates straight after the weigh in,it stands to reason he'll weigh more by the time we get into the ring.

Because he's a bigger man who decided he could take advantage of the next day weigh in and fight smaller opponents,not everyone takes advantage of that by dehydrating.

You'll find amateur boxers go up to pro,put on muscle but fight at the same weight or sometimes even lighter,that's the reason.

I'd double like your post about weighing in the ring gnasher if I could, makes so much sense and overall has to be safer for the lads in the ring,

Just makes sense all round dont it Baz.......i was in the company of someone quite high up in British boxing a while ago and put it to him........the answer i got was no promoter would risk the mayhem of a fight not going ahead once the paying customers were in the door should a fighter miss the weight.
You could still have a weigh in the day before, what would be the difference then?

I'd double like your post about weighing in the ring gnasher if I could, makes so much sense and overall has to be safer for the lads in the ring,

Just makes sense all round dont it Baz.......i was in the company of someone quite high up in British boxing a while ago and put it to him........the answer i got was no promoter would risk the mayhem of a fight not going ahead once the paying customers were in the door should a fighter miss the weight.
You could still have a weigh in the day before, what would be the difference then?

Because that gives the naturally bigger man more time to put his weight back on which is unfair IMO....

Because that gives the naturally bigger man more time to put his weight back on which is unfair IMO....
I mean a weigh in the day before and 5 to 10 minutes before the fight, that way if they don't make weight the day before fight is cancelled, no packed stadiums, disgruntled fans, etc and weigh in immediately before the fight so there is no drastic weight changes by extreme dehydration/rehydration. Two weigh ins would be fairer on fighters and fans alike unless i am missing something. Atvb.

I mean a weigh in the day before and 5 to 10 minutes before the fight, that way if they don't make weight the day before fight is cancelled, no packed stadiums, disgruntled fans, etc and weigh in immediately before the fight so there is no drastic weight changes by extreme dehydration/rehydration. Two weigh ins would be fairer on fighters and fans alike unless i am missing something. Atvb.

Whats the point why not just weigh in once in the ring before the fight ?.....whats to be gained by 2 weigh ins on different days if both weight limits are the same ?

The difference would be a welterweight on the scales and a middleweight in the ring.

• Like 1

The difference would be a welterweight on the scales and a middleweight in the ring.
This statement is clearly misunderstood, if you had to weigh in the day before and the next day, losing the purse if you miss either weight, fighters could not be so weak anyone could push them over as they would get destroyed and if they make weight the day before it is not likely they would pile on weight overnight if it meant losing their purse. As i tried to explain fighters could not dehydrate/rehydrate severely as they would be too weak which would make it fairer weight wise and fighters wouldnt want to lose their purse so they would also make weight in front of the packed stadium. I hope this is clearer as i cannot be bothered to explain again and it is just a suggestion i dont care too much about anyway.