3 Blanks In A Row.

I popped out tonight with my shooting mate. He knew that I was in a paddy with my latest performances so, we went off to a yard that his friend owns and, had a plinking session in the dark.

We shot everything from aerosol cans to bits of hi viz jaccket on sticks.

It was a good couple of hours. Also, I'm now 99% sure that my recent results are down to human error.

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oops, sorry mate - it's .177.  Yes, when using a bipod, either bench or prone, I'm still putting 14 shots well within a 5p sized group.   I will give oiling the face of the mag a go. I must admit,

Make some of these   and go in the day light before you go shooting and plce them out up to 50,,,,,60 yards   starting from 10 yrds up over paced or with a range finder   you will need the high

Yep, that's right, my last 3 trips out have resulted in exactly f**k all. 3 visits to the rugby club in 2 weeks and, there's just as many rabbits as when I went last Tuesday.   There's been opportun

Posted Images

Human error is what I thought too.

You have a perfect zero, off a bench, using a bipod ?

So what suddenly goes wrong off the sticks , you have just checked your zero at the friends yard, off the sticks and all seemed ok again.

Forgive me if I`m wrong Jon but the symptoms sound like scope cant with a touch of " hold sensitivity" ? If you shoot your rifle off the Primos, take away any contact with your leading hand "from the gun itself" but "do hold" the sticks just below the yoke. Now check your vertical crosshair is "truly vertical" and "squeeze off" that shot.

I`ll bet your zero has returned.

p.s. you didn`t tell us your calibre mate ?

Hope it helps any.

p.s. give a very light spray of gun oil to the loading side of your HW 100 magazine,every other refill - makes a big improvement to group sizes.

• Like 1

Human error is what I thought too.

You have a perfect zero, off a bench, using a bipod ?

So what suddenly goes wrong off the sticks , you have just checked your zero at the friends yard, off the sticks and all seemed ok again.

Forgive me if I`m wrong Jon but the symptoms sound like scope cant with a touch of " hold sensitivity" ? If you shoot your rifle off the Primos, take away any contact with your leading hand "from the gun itself" but "do hold" the sticks just below the yoke. Now check your vertical crosshair is "truly vertical" and "squeeze off" that shot.

I`ll bet your zero has returned.

p.s. you didn`t tell us your calibre mate ?

Hope it helps any.

p.s. give a very light spray of gun oil to the loading side of your HW 100 magazine,every other refill - makes a big improvement to group sizes.

Oops, sorry mate - it's .177.

Yes, when using a bipod, either bench or prone, I'm still putting 14 shots well within a 5p sized group.

I will give oiling the face of the mag a go. I must admit, I've never done it but, when were talking about pellets going at 750fps+, I'm happy to try any tips that improve accuracy in the field.

After talking to my mate last night - what you, Phil and Matt say about hold and trigger control is ringing true. He told me that I've been a grumpy prick for a while and, that I'm probably grabbing and snatching at my rifle like a grumpy prick (We work for the same company). Obviously, he's not as eloquent as you guys :)

I did feel relaxed last night and, everything was back on form. Maybe it's just something that I've never noticed before but, thinking about it, I'm kind of glad that those shots were all clean misses, not a whole bunch of screamers.

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 2

Good stuff John.

Regarding the spraying of the mag, it really does tighten the groups up.

Just the lightest spray at arms length on the loading side of the empty mag is what Mark told me and it's one of the best tips I've had yet pal.?

• Like 1

Quote: (p.s. give a very light spray of gun oil to the loading side of your HW 100 magazine,every other refill - makes a big improvement to group sizes.)

I have not heard of that before Mark but will give it a try, what spray oil do you use.

As I now have a good rabbit perm with ideal night shooting from a statuary position on undulating ground, I had thought of getting one of these which can be used as a night viewing scope as well as a range finder rather than scanning with the gun. A few of the guys on another forum really rate them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x32-Digital-IR-Night-Vision-Monocular-Black-500m-Scope-Laser-Range-Finder-/172186467816?hash=item28171cfde8:g:BywAAOSwqv9V67WL

Phil

Edited by philpot

The spray oil I use Phil is "Brunox turbo- spray" but any decent gun oil spray will do the job. I was told the seating of the pellet benefits from this tip, from the transfer from mag` to breech, so I tried it and "bingo" - very tight groups with AA Fields 8.4 g, 4.52 head size but I`ll be trying AA Express 7.9 g, 4.52 soon.

In .22 cal Falcon Accuracy Plus, - very tight groups again using this tip.

I`m the last person on the forum to ask about night vision Phil, - I don`t shoot at night mate, - slippers and telly but used to be beer and chasing women :whistling:

VM ( Mitch) knows his night vision Phil.

I regularly use my Hawke LRF 400 range finder Phil but daylight hours.

good luck lads.

Yes I have the same rangefinder Mark and I think Mitch has forgotten more about NV than I will ever know but for someone like me who has never been involved in night shooting other than wildfowl on a winters night on the salt marsh, this little device looks okay for the money, I will how ever be shooting without one first to see (or not see :laugh: ) how I go on.

I wonder if Napier Power Airgun oil will do the job as I have some. Does it affect the 'O' ring with oil on the mag Mark.

Phil

post-85710-0-55933600-1464187950.jpgBRUNOX turbo- spray,- gun care spray- for hunting , sporting and collecting guns.

Cleans , lubricates and attends- neutralises hand sweat, displaces humidity, loosens powder, lead , tombac, copper and nickel residues.

Contains no silicone, no PTFE, no graphite,- contact spray.

You maybe looking in the wrong place

The wigan council tax form to the left is signed by "Dick Turpin" by the way

Thieving gets.

Hope that helps any Phil ( no motorbikes)

Ahh, a different type Mark, I am surprised the RFD didn't know of the product but in truth I don't normally deal with him, strange bloke, it was just that he is close to me. I will try the RFD I usually go to as I will be in there this week.

Cheers Mark

Phil

• Like 1

Yes I have the same rangefinder Mark and I think Mitch has forgotten more about NV than I will ever know but for someone like me who has never been involved in night shooting other than wildfowl on a winters night on the salt marsh, this little device looks okay for the money, I will how ever be shooting without one first to see (or not see :laugh: ) how I go on.

I wonder if Napier Power Airgun oil will do the job as I have some. Does it affect the 'O' ring with oil on the mag Mark.

Phil

can't help with the nv phil, i use lamps!

but napier spray is fine, some lads wash there pellets and spray some in a sandwich bag then use it to give the pellets a fine coat, same affect as what mark suggests but back in the tin and ready to go!

i did a few tests with washing and lubeing a while ago and it put the fps up slightly on the crono but no major gain

atb si

Thanks Si

I put the link for the NV range finder really for Jonjon as I thought it might be of interest if he thought that was an issue, as for me, I have little experience and may get one as time goes by if my little pension provider lets me. :hmm:

I really want a .22 so that is higher on my wish list.

Phil

Cheers Phil,

I did have a look at the link. I do like the idea of a NV range finder. I'm just reluctant to order from China after some bugger stiffed me when a cheap tablet stopped working.

I'm using a Nite Site Viper at the moment. It's a good bit of kit. I keep looking at their new rangefinder.

• Like 1