Surely Someone Has...

Come up with a silencer that "really!!" Works on a .17 HMR?

Who's not talking and keeping something secret :laugh:

There has to be someone fettling away in a workshop somewhere.

Please spill :thumbs:

It's not that load, lol. I find the crack of a 22 head shot just as disturbing as the sonic crack of a 17 bullet. I recently put my SAK on my hmr having disappointingly rendered my Sirocco useless, personally I think the Sirocco was superior.

I've never tried a 17 cal specific mod, I think that's half the problem, all standard mods are 22 cal.

The best mod i have seen on a hmr is an over barrel DM80, however my .17 hornet is quieter with a DM80 mod. I think the problem lies with the bullet speed. At 2,400fps ish it is a relatively fast rimfire round but slow in comparison to c/f bullets of the same calibre ( 3,600fps upwards). As such i think the extra time the bullet takes to reach it's target is the reason it produces a prolonged sonic crack.

Lucky man if you find one, the muzzle can be silenced, but the sonic crack of the bullet is a different matter,

That is totally the issue.

There are minor variations on the effectiveness of the propellant moderation, but nobody has found a way to stop the bullet sonic crack a few feet out of the barrel.

The best mod i have seen on a hmr is an over barrel DM80, however my .17 hornet is quieter with a DM80 mod. I think the problem lies with the bullet speed. At 2,400fps ish it is a relatively fast rimfire round but slow in comparison to c/f bullets of the same calibre ( 3,600fps upwards). As such i think the extra time the bullet takes to reach it's target is the reason it produces a prolonged sonic crack.

That's an interesting theory but I'm not sure it's supported by evidence. If that is correct then a moderated 300winmag should be quieter than a moderated 308win?

My own suspicions are that most mods are not designed to perform optimally with the 17hmr. They are either designed to perform optimally for 17 centerfire rounds or for 22 rimfire.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

The mod I have is the ASE ultra and it's stamped up for WMR .22. Not .17

Can't fault the gun. Insanely accurate just bloody noisy.

It surprises me that no one has had a set too and fettled up something efficient.

It surprises me that no one has had a set too and fettled up something efficient.

Then try a caliber specific one, such as a Wildcat Whisper.

• Like 1

Then try a caliber specific one, such as a Wildcat Whisper.

I will take a look. Thanks.

Tried a wildcat whisper .17 baffles on mine recently.

Definately a bit more muffled than the sak but guess what......... Still a sonic crack.

Unless someone creates a subsonic .17 hmr bullet I reckon a definitive answer will be hard to come by.

I had a Logan decimater in past and it was definately quieter than the sak but it still went crack when the round left barrel.

Put a .17 baffle stack on a large baffled centre fire mod and put it on hmr and it still goes ...... Crack !

Also to consider is the sound when heard from different angles.

My mate had a hardy sound mod on his .223 and when fired it sounded like a blunderbuss compared to my p8 and wildcat evolution but if you stood down range out the way in a safe position so as not to get shot.........and listened carefully,there was little between them.

Most people compare .17 hmr sound mods from behind the rifle but it would be interesting to have someone else shoot them and stand 150 yards away and see how they compared .

• Like 1

http://www.onelesscharlie.co.uk/products.html

Thanks Decker.

Does the .17 mod actually work with a noticeable reduction in noise or is it a £130 suck it and see?

http://www.onelesscharlie.co.uk/products.html

Thanks Decker.

Does the .17 mod actually work with a noticeable reduction in noise or is it a £130 suck it and see?

The 17 calibre (hole size) specific seem to be a tiny bit quieter than the normal .22 size mods fitted to HMR. Just the same I have only heard 2, and frankly my HMR has a Sirocco SM11 .22 hole size fitted.

As the theme continues and as I mentioned earlier, the difference in sound moderation is almost entirely down to minor variations in propellant bang reduction, nothing stops the sonic crack.

So the difference between pretty much all the HMR mods, whether they be calibre specific or .22 is marginal in my opinion.

The best I heard was a DM80, but it was a hulking great lump compared to many, the Wildcat Whisper has been mentioned but that has never impressed me, in 17 or .22.

You may find this interesting, but it isn't exactly up to date!

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/17hmr-calibre-sound-moderators-review

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

That's an interesting theory but I'm not sure it's supported by evidence. If that is correct then a moderated 300winmag should be quieter than a moderated 308win?

My own suspicions are that most mods are not designed to perform optimally with the 17hmr. They are either designed to perform optimally for 17 centerfire rounds or for 22 rimfire.

The 300 win mag may be as quiet as 308 IF the moderator manufacturer did his job properly and dialled out all the muzzle blast, It would be an interesting experiment to undertake.

DM80 makes all his mods calibre specific, nothing generic and it does make a difference. They are the quitest mods i have heard, they are also light and you can strip them to clean them.

• Like 1

It's not that load, lol. I find the crack of a 22 head shot just as disturbing as the sonic crack of a 17 bullet. I recently put my SAK on my hmr having disappointingly rendered my Sirocco useless, personally I think the Sirocco was superior.

I've never tried a 17 cal specific mod, I think that's half the problem, all standard mods are 22 cal.

As I understand it, the speed is irrelevant. Once you break the sound barrier you break the sound barrier, it doesn't matter by how much.

The size of the boom (crack) is related to the size of the object causing it and thus the amount of air moved, so the larger the calibre, the larger and heavier the bullet and the larger the boom.

Try taking the sound mod off a .22 RF and taking a shot with a hv after using subs. I guarantee you'll go from a rifle that can barely be heard to one that echoes off distant hillsides. Even subs are fairly loud when you add the muzzle blast back in. Most of the additional sound from a same calibre CF comes from the muzzle and or possibly the use of a heavier bullet.

Edited by Alsone