A few questions of eradicating bad mouth's (under/over shot) in your line.

1. Does the sire and dam have to carry the gene for it to pass on to pups?

2. Would a pup from a mating of 2 bad mouths which itself has a perfect mouth carry the gene?

3. Would a pup from a mating of 1 bad mouth which itself has a perfect mouth have less chance of passing the defect on?

4. Would the defect show its head again on good mouth to good mouth mating's further on in time?

Thanks Raynardman :thumbs:

• Like 1

I can only speak from experience, both parents have to carry the recessive gene, once it's in, it's in. I've had undershot pups from two perfect mouthed parents and perfect mouths from two undershot parents. It can and will pop up to varying degrees whenever you breed from two dogs that carry the fault, the only way to begin to come away from it is plenty of research on the parents to keep away from it, but in all honesty if that's the only problem you've got I wouldn't loose any sleep about it.

• Like 15

i've owned and worked a few with supposed bad mouths the bitch in my avatar was under shot but a fine terrier to work , i think in my own and maybe in the base stock they came from that undershot is dominant and scissor bite recessive as one branch of these where bred from two undershot good workers that produced good workers most of there pups came with scissor bite, mated to cousins also with scissor bite produced scissor bite any way its complicated shit and although i havn't had a undershot pup in a couple of gens it could still pop up , and if that pup is healthy with good bone and of a nice over all type it would be given the same chance, knew a guy used to put them in a bucket , KC bullshit !!!

• Like 3

Bad mouths on dogs aren't a problem they'll still work. Big mouths on their owners is something to worry about its far more common and detrimental to the breed.

That brightened my day, thank you
your welcome

the only way i have heard of identifying the ones less likely to be carrying the reccessive gene is to do test matings . using a dog that shows the fault. over a bitch that may or may not be a carrier. any pups in the litter with bad mouths means she is reccessive for the fault. no pups with bad mouths means a better chance she does not have the gene.

• Like 3

Some of the best working dogs I've seen were undershot.

I'd made a post about this awhile back.

Unless it's so bad it prevents the dog from working properly I don't see a problem with it.

I can't remember who( maybe Dave Harcombe?) wrote that an under bite is like an upside down scissor bite.

And I agree.

Surely in a perfect world we would have the perfectly conformed proper bite dogs.

But that's not always the case.

While many good terriers are of good conformation, there are many great dogs that are less than perfect in structure.

I'd rather have a solid undershot dog than one the had a scissor bite but lacking in other areas.

I know people that are the opposite.

They will bypass a proven undershot dog to breed to one with the ptca standard but lacking the other qualities in order to better their chances of getting conformation correct pups.

I'm not suggesting that sway backed splay footed undershot dogs be bred.

But I've often seen dogs that were a little shorter or longer backed and undershot that got the job done far better than their Standard correct counterparts.

(Just my thoughts)

• Like 3

Agree with Dilly Dog,too many lads worrying about what a terrier looks like when they really should be worrying more about how it works and the standard it works to.I have had terriers with undershot overshot mouths and they worked no prob and worked well,unless your a rossette hunter who gives a flying f**k what the terrier looks like aslong as it does a job for you after all your the one that cleans up the shit after it no one else.Same with colour,i could not care less what colour they were,they could be pink and if they worked the way i wanted then who cares.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies guy's

Not overly bothered about the few bad mouth's I have but it was something I'd like to try and wean out in future mating's, got a few different ways I could go but as for now I'm ok with having 4 working, 2 of which went well in their 1st season, then I have 2 more to start this coming season.

ATB :thumbs:

• Like 3