First Ever Hunt

So, this time tomorrow, I'll have just gotten back from a days hunting with a friend. He's just added me to his local permission, all cleared with the owner and invited me along to get involved. This will be my first ever hunt. I've never shot a live quarry before, so not sure how I'll feel when or indeed IF I manage to land/take the shot. It's teaming with rabbits and has a good few rats in and around the stables. I'm going for the experience and to see whether or not I can get over the morality issues that are bouncing around in my head. We're doing it as pest and vermin control, rather than as sport, so I do have that angle to mull over.

I've spent a good while getting to grips with my Remington Express .177 and I'm reasonably happy with my grouping. I'm consistently hitting a 1/2" washer at 15 yards and hitting a marble 9/10 shots at the same distance. I won't be attempting anything stupidly long, as I don't want to injure and/or maim an animal for it to get away and suffer. We're going to arrive early and re-zero the rifles to a suitable range based on where we're going to be sat/hiding.

I guess I made this as a precursor to tomorrows write up, just to get something on paper and make sure I'm 100% aware of what I'm going to be doing. I'm sure some people may think I'm not really skilled enough or ready to be taking this on but I'm there for the experience and my friend will be there to make sure I'm sticking within my boundaries and with a swift follow up if needed. There's a certain amount of trepidation but it's something I've always wanted to do and I have been given an opportunity I want to grasp with both hands.

All being well, I'll have a write up and maybe some pictures to add on tomorrow...

• Like 3

Only one way to learn and thats get out and do it

Just listen to what your mate tells you

and if you do shoot a rabbit or some thing you can eat then take one home for the pot

it will make you feel better :yes:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi MJBL.

Mate, we were all beginners once - so no one can get away with that instance can they ? :good:

Remington Express you say ? - For the lower end market a decent springer for little money.

Mike, shooting a washer, or marble at 15 yards with a 9/10 strike rate is great, so please get within 15 yards of the rabbits so that your training and preparation " kicks in".

Mike if you push that range out to 35 yards or 40 yards +, which in the real world is your average bunny/ vermin range your 15 yard training is going to get " seriously tested" sir.

You are successful at 15 yards Mike ? - now you "must" become a 9/10 "at least" marksman at the vermin ranges 30 + yards before going after live quarry ! :nono:

Be right first Mike. Please.

post-85710-0-79899100-1462826072_thumb.jpgpost-85710-0-51335500-1462826126_thumb.jpg

The last photo is from a session with a spring rifle, the first photo a session with a HW 100 pcp - zero sesh - practice first mate at 30 + yards.

atb

• Like 2

Might pay to leave your gun at home for the first outing and see what it is all about . Hitting a washer at 15 yards is OK but i doubt you will get that close to any vermin

You need to pratice at 30-35 yards imo ,, Best of luck any how :thumbs:

• Like 3

I hear you on the more practice. In fact it was my friend that suggested I bring it, even if I just zero it to 30 ish and see what I'm like before taking a shot at anything living. At least then I'll get some longer range practice. I can't shoot any further at the moment as that's what I'm limited to. I tend to be a quick learner, so here's hoping I'm on the money with the practice shots. If I feel like I'm capable and my practice shots are good, I'll pick my opportunity very carefully. I'm not there to just shoot at everything that moves. I'm not even sure I could pull the trigger with live quarry in my sights anyway. The experience of being there, watching them through the sight and even just spectating my friend taking the shots will be invaluable I feel. I want to learn, gather experience and knowledge and I have this opportunity to do so. We're going to be in a "hide" of sorts, low slung tarp with camo netting. We have plenty of fields and stables to utilise. So maybe I'll get lucky and have an opportunity of something inside my current experience limit. If not, it's no biggy. I have a lifetime to learn. I just want to get out and be a part of it.

The Remington was a bargain I couldn't pass over. I'm aware its at the lower end of the spectrum but I'm in love with it. It will be a long, long time, if at all, I get the chance to upgrade. So I best get to making this thing an extension of myself. The guy I bought it from is a comp shooter and supposedly a good one. I've known him a while and he's told me it's shooting at about 11.5 and should be good to 35-40 with practice. So I can't see myself needing anything else for the near future at least.

Edited by Michael J B Lancaster
  • Like 2

I hear you on the more practice. In fact it was my friend that suggested I bring it, even if I just zero it to 30 ish and see what I'm like before taking a shot at anything living. At least then I'll get some longer range practice. I can't shoot any further at the moment as that's what I'm limited to. I tend to be a quick learner, so here's hoping I'm on the money with the practice shots. If I feel like I'm capable and my practice shots are good, I'll pick my opportunity very carefully. I'm not there to just shoot at everything that moves. I'm not even sure I could pull the trigger with live quarry in my sights anyway. The experience of being there, watching them through the sight and even just spectating my friend taking the shots will be invaluable I feel. I want to learn, gather experience and knowledge and I have this opportunity to do so. We're going to be in a "hide" of sorts, low slung tarp with camo netting. We have plenty of fields and stables to utilise. So maybe I'll get lucky and have an opportunity of something inside my current experience limit. If not, it's no biggy. I have a lifetime to learn. I just want to get out and be a part of it.

The Remington was a bargain I couldn't pass over. I'm aware its at the lower end of the spectrum but I'm in love with it. It will be a long, long time, if at all, I get the chance to upgrade. So I best get to making this thing an extension of myself. The guy I bought it from is a comp shooter and supposedly a good one. I've known him a while and he's told me it's shooting at about 11.5 and should be good to 35-40 with practice. So I can't see myself needing anything else for the near future at least.

You will.

Take your camera for god sake... I won't be able to sleep if you don't.

Well today was a long, long day. It's drizzled all day so has been utterly miserable. We arrived before lunch and baited up around the stables for the rats. They're sneaky buggers and stayed well away from us all afternoon. A couple were spotted but were up in the rafters and not able to be dealt with safely.

The rabbits are also, very, VERY wary and they were off as soon as they caught a glimpse of you.

We did manage to get into range of a couple of rabbits and 3 of them duly fell. I got 2 of them. Humanely. I'm pretty chuffed. I do have some photos so I'll get them sorted out but it's been a very long day and I've got a million and one things to do. Just wanted to quickly update you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 4

Well today was a long, long day. It's drizzled all day so has been utterly miserable. We arrived before lunch and baited up around the stables for the rats. They're sneaky buggers and stayed well away from us all afternoon. A couple were spotted but were up in the rafters and not able to be dealt with safely.

The rabbits are also, very, VERY wary and they were off as soon as they caught a glimpse of you.

We did manage to get into range of a couple of rabbits and 3 of them duly fell. I got 2 of them. Humanely. I'm pretty chuffed. I do have some photos so I'll get them sorted out but it's been a very long day and I've got a million and one things to do. Just wanted to quickly update you.

Ha your fecked

Now how are you going to tell the wife that your just about to spend £700+ on a hw100

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Ha your fecked

Now how are you going to tell the wife that your just about to spend £700+ on a hw100

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'd have to sell the Mrs to afford one. Hmmm, that's given me an idea hah.

Nah I'll be plodding along with my Remington until I win the lottery. I kinda like it, though it's a tad heavy to lug around all day. Either that or I'm a weakling.

• Like 1