Wrong Manufacturers Mpg Figures

Are people really so gullible as to believe anything anyone who's in business to make a profit for themselves and their share holders says? Our Fiesta, leased from new quoted up-to 64 mpg. Now, I'm someone who can obtain 18.6 mpg out of a 1998 4.0lt 6 cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee yet I never bettered 46.5 mpg from our 'new' Fiesta!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/mitsubishi-motors-mishandled-fuel-economy-tests

All these figures are produced in ideal conditions - i.e indoors with no wind resistance and no braking, accelerating or hills to contend with. Once the first manufacturer got away with it, they all did it. You can take at least 10% off quoted figures, and more in most cases.

Are people really so gullible as to believe anything anyone who's in business to make a profit for themselves and their share holders says? Our Fiesta, leased from new quoted up-to 64 mpg. Now, I'm someone who can obtain 18.6 mpg out of a 1998 4.0lt 6 cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee yet I never bettered 46.5 mpg from our 'new' Fiesta!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/mitsubishi-motors-mishandled-fuel-economy-tests

What engine is that fiesta? Is that local or motorway?

46.5mpg is piss poor. I can get that driving round town in my Vectra. Much more on long distance runs.

• Like 2

Gullibility is easy to produce in society, if one wants to believe that it is true then that is how it is, Governments, Advertisers and Manufacturers will make it so for you. In my day it was smoke this brand of cigarette and splashing on a bit of Henry Cooper "Brut 33" and any and all women would be yours. My pet hate is extra Virgin Olive Oil, there has and never will be such a thing. Unless produced by the genuine Mary Mother of Jesus, Nazara "Nazareth" Olive Oil Co.

Apologies for my blasphemy

• Like 1

What engine is that fiesta? Is that local or motorway?

46.5mpg is piss poor. I can get that driving round town in my Vectra. Much more on long distance runs.

That's why we got shot of it! All that monthly expense and poor fuel figures. Now we have a 2000 Peugeot 106 and get the same mpg!

All these figures are produced in ideal conditions - i.e indoors with no wind resistance and no braking, accelerating or hills to contend with. Once the first manufacturer got away with it, they all did it. You can take at least 10% off quoted figures, and more in most cases.

Minus 10% = 57.6 mpg, I could live with that! I was getting 46 mpg so that`s minus 27% on their official figures, that's taking the micky!

Minus 10% = 57.6 mpg, I could live with that! I was getting 46 mpg so that`s minus 27% on their official figures, that's taking the micky!

Have you taken the handbrake off? :whistling:

most of you still don`t get what the quoted figure is and how they reach it, its a standard (and that standard is set by the government) test to be used to compare figures from car to car, it was never intended to be what anyone could achieve in real world driving conditions, there are way too many variables to make any on road test reliable, give you one extreme example, same driver, same car, does 500 miles at home in Norfolk, takes "x" amount of fuel, comes up here to north wales during the summer and does 500 miles here, takes "y" amount of fuel, how useful is that as an indication of how thirsty or not the car is

when I worked in motor dealers there used to be loads coming in who got more than the quoted figures even round here, shame that the petrol engines were as tight as hell through never being revved and diesels smoked and clogged exhausts like there was no tommorrow