Retriever Crosses.. ??

Does anyone have Retriever cross Lurchers.... I.E. Golden retriever, Labrador, or even Standard Poodle....

My own opinion is that they should make a good cross..

Mars.

I think a golden retriever 1st cross would be a decent dog, they should be fast enough to catch a rabbit, hopefully have the brains passed on decent coat, and a natural want to retrieve..

WHAT?? Golden retriever s are as much use as a chicken with tits

Edited by MIK
  • Like 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All kinds of crosses can make good lurchers but if your looking at the pointer cross I personally cannot see any point in using anything but the GWP. They are a proven breed second only in numbers wor

Saw a few lurchers with lab in them years ago from the same line that were decent dogs n a couple that would do anything, later on I used one over a saluki whippet greyhound type bitch I had not much

Here you go fella. The deerhound bitch was 29" just to give you a rough idea of what height the poodle cross was at this point (roughly 12 months, so he ended up a tad taller than in this pic. His coa

Posted Images

All kinds of crosses can make good lurchers but if your looking at the pointer cross I personally cannot see any point in using anything but the GWP. They are a proven breed second only in numbers worked to the GSP. Now with the GWP being seen as a bit tougher with that wire coat it gets the nod ahead of the GSP for me for lurcher breeding where quarry that bites back may be involved. What can a Musterlander do that a GWP can't. There's not many of them about which says tells me that the real serious gundog/falconry lads choose the GWP over it. It's hard enough getting a good lurcher without taking a gamble. The GWP is well established up here in the north east and has been getting worked for years now.

• Like 5

All kinds of crosses can make good lurchers but if your looking at the pointer cross I personally cannot see any point in using anything but the GWP. They are a proven breed second only in numbers worked to the GSP. Now with the GWP being seen as a bit tougher with that wire coat it gets the nod ahead of the GSP for me for lurcher breeding where quarry that bites back may be involved. What can a Musterlander do that a GWP can't. There's not many of them about which says tells me that the real serious gundog/falconry lads choose the GWP over it. It's hard enough getting a good lurcher without taking a gamble. The GWP is well established up here in the north east and has been getting worked for years now.

Hence why I said "wanting something different". :thumbs:

Edited by trenchfoot

Fair enough, I'm all for trying something new and whilst the pointer cross is nothing new it's still rare compared to other crosses ( it never seems that way to me because I've been around them for 14 years ). Still I think if your going to try something different there has to be a good reason for it. I've only seen GWP, GSP and a Brittany out working never one of the other Hprs but I'd only think about using anything other than the GWP if another type had a better nose and more hunting drive. Some GWP crosses are as big as donkeys so I'd never want anything that could make a bigger lurcher.

Krawnden ..... You got any pic's of the dog that you had ?

To my eternal regret I took very few - it was in the days of film, so none of the snapping away without a care in the world that we do these days. But somewhere I've got one of him around a year old. I'll have to hunt for it but if I can find it I'll stick it up.

Here you go fella. The deerhound bitch was 29" just to give you a rough idea of what height the poodle cross was at this point (roughly 12 months, so he ended up a tad taller than in this pic. His coat also got quite a bit heavier.) -

post-92720-0-63664500-1461785036.jpg

• Like 3

He looked a lot more poodley as a pup, especially in his gait and tail carriage. What I loved as he got older was that he looked less and less like a lurcher as his thick coat hid his body shape. By the time he was about 18months old, unless you knew what he was you'd never have said he was a lurcher. It meant I could wander about in all sorts of places I shouldn't have been without raising anything like the same suspicion I would have done with an 'obvious' lurcher type. :D

• Like 1

Does anyone have Retriever cross Lurchers.... I.E. Golden retriever, Labrador, or even Standard Poodle....

Mars.

I think a golden retriever 1st cross would be a decent dog, they should be fast enough to catch a rabbit, hopefully have the brains passed on decent coat, and a natural want to retrieve..

I dont think other bodies such as police, armed services, guide dogs for the blind, and the odd one or two that still use them as gun dogs would agree....

Saw a few lurchers with lab in them years ago from the same line that were decent dogs n a couple that would do anything, later on I used one over a saluki whippet greyhound type bitch I had not much lab at that point but it was in there, here's a couple of pics of the dog I kept one as a young dog with his brother and one as an old dog caught alot of tackle with him liked him a lot..

post-1471-0-71324600-1461844473_thumb.jpeg

post-1471-0-95277000-1461844549_thumb.jpeg

post-1471-0-01871600-1461844840_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Mars.

I dont think other bodies such as police, armed services, guide dogs for the blind, and the odd one or two that still use them as gun dogs would agree....

I know a couple up here that pick up at the grouse and pheasants 4-5 days a week during the season and they work a line of working retrievers and they are very very average you name one thing a golden retriever would bring to the mix when adding to a running dog ?

Mars.

I know a couple up here that pick up at the grouse and pheasants 4-5 days a week during the season and they work a line of working retrievers and they are very very average you name one thing a golden retriever would bring to the mix when adding to a running dog ?

Arthritis!!
Epilepsy?
  • Like 1

Preban I used to have a first cross standard poodle x greyhound. I had pick of the litter and chose the raciest looking one. He ended up just over 23" tts. Was shaping up to be a really useful alrounder. Had taken daytime hare, was good with ferrets and sensible around the nets, took roe and munty and was showing potential on the lamp. Very bright and biddable, had a good coat and wonderful temperament. Great with the kids and a real pleasure to have around. One of those dogs that just got under your skin and wormed right into your affections. Killed on the road in pursuit of bambi age 21 months. Broke my heart...

Interesting that, I used to bump into a couple of standard poodles on a walk and they were into everything,not saying there all like that but those two defiantly had summet about em, sounds like you had a gudden there krawnden..

Preban I used to have a first cross standard poodle x greyhound. I had pick of the litter and chose the raciest looking one. He ended up just over 23" tts. Was shaping up to be a really useful alrounder. Had taken daytime hare, was good with ferrets and sensible around the nets, took roe and munty and was showing potential on the lamp. Very bright and biddable, had a good coat and wonderful temperament. Great with the kids and a real pleasure to have around. One of those dogs that just got under your skin and wormed right into your affections. Killed on the road in pursuit of bambi age 21 months. Broke my heart...

Interesting that, I used to bump into a couple of standard poodles on a walk and they were into everything,not saying there all like that but those two defiantly had summet about em, sounds like you had a gudden there krawnden..

The sire of mine was a white standard that was used as a gundog - picked up on a couple of shoots and used for a bit of rough shooting.

• Like 1

Fella said the parents to the two I mentioned were bred off gundogs, I remember thinking it must be a long time since that breed was used as a working dog n he might of been lead up the garden path but looking back now they probably were ; )