Retriever Crosses.. ??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All kinds of crosses can make good lurchers but if your looking at the pointer cross I personally cannot see any point in using anything but the GWP. They are a proven breed second only in numbers wor

Saw a few lurchers with lab in them years ago from the same line that were decent dogs n a couple that would do anything, later on I used one over a saluki whippet greyhound type bitch I had not much

Here you go fella. The deerhound bitch was 29" just to give you a rough idea of what height the poodle cross was at this point (roughly 12 months, so he ended up a tad taller than in this pic. His coa

Posted Images

Preban I used to have a first cross standard poodle x greyhound. I had pick of the litter and chose the raciest looking one. He ended up just over 23" tts. Was shaping up to be a really useful alrounder. Had taken daytime hare, was good with ferrets and sensible around the nets, took roe and munty and was showing potential on the lamp. Very bright and biddable, had a good coat and wonderful temperament. Great with the kids and a real pleasure to have around. One of those dogs that just got under your skin and wormed right into your affections. Killed on the road in pursuit of bambi age 21 months. Broke my heart...

• Like 1

Does anyone have Retriever cross Lurchers.... I.E. Golden retriever, Labrador, or even Standard Poodle....

My own opinion is that they should make a good cross..

Mars.

I think a golden retriever 1st cross would be a decent dog, they should be fast enough to catch a rabbit, hopefully have the brains passed on decent coat, and a natural want to retrieve..

• Like 1

Krawnden ..... You got any pic's of the dog that you had ?

To my eternal regret I took very few - it was in the days of film, so none of the snapping away without a care in the world that we do these days. But somewhere I've got one of him around a year old. I'll have to hunt for it but if I can find it I'll stick it up.

Does anyone have Retriever cross Lurchers.... I.E. Golden retriever, Labrador, or even Standard Poodle....

Mars.

I think a golden retriever 1st cross would be a decent dog, they should be fast enough to catch a rabbit, hopefully have the brains passed on decent coat, and a natural want to retrieve..

Or flat coat retriever ,I often thought a setter would be good cross to.
  • Like 1

Mars.

Or flat coat retriever ,I often thought a setter would be good cross to.

Yeah, an Irish or English.. :thumbs:

If I was looking at breeding this "type", and wanting to be different, the large Munsterlander would be an ideal choice. I've seen pures work on shoots, retrieve half hit foxes and hold injured deer. They don't seem as headstrong as the GSP or the GWP, but have more fire than the traditional retriever type.

• Like 2

If I was looking at breeding this "type", and wanting to be different, the large Munsterlander would be an ideal choice. I've seen pures work on shoots, retrieve half hit foxes and hold injured deer. They don't seem as headstrong as the GSP or the GWP, but have more fire than the traditional retriever type.

Seen a non worker walk past my allotment last year,seemed nice type of dog theres couple different sizes isn't there

Seen a non worker walk past my allotment last year,seemed nice type of dog theres couple different sizes isn't there

there is. Large and small. The small are like a leggy ESP, I have never seen one work though. The large are GSP sized, in fact they are almost unidentifiable from longhaired german pointers. They are liver and white and large munsterlanders are black and white, though I have seen liver and white Munsterlanders in litters with black and whites. Work wise they tick a lot of boxes for me.

• Like 1