Money gets you in, the lack of it keeps you out.

I have been a member of two rifle clubs, found it not to my liking to be honest, very clicky folk, to clicky for my liking, but good luck it might be your thing.

Tell them your from Billingham and not the Boro ffs :thumbs:

• Like 1

Unfortunately attitudes never change. Anyone who is member of a select club tend to view vermin controllers as the lower end of shooting; something that wouldn't be missed if banned. And as for game shooters ...........poor ikkle defenceless animals "Shouldn't be allowed" (yes I've actually heard it said in the clubhouse).

And then on the other hand vermin shooters tend to view target shooters as stuck up eejits, whilst game shooters have too much money to be anything other than dangerous.

And so it goes on.

Thank gawd I shoot Match rifle, Gallery rifle, do rabbit control with .22 air rifle, .22rf and 17Hmr, do Fox control with .22Hornet and .243Win AND shoot deer with .308Win

I have also been invited to shoot Pheasant (OK it was only as a "back-gun") but it was at a great shoot in Wiltshire.

So I have a love of all forms of shooting, which is why I never make assumptions about someone else's sport.

Single Barrel, go join the club. All you have to remember is to listen, don't try to teach anyone something they already know and always carry your rifle with the muzzle up in the air.

And most of all never get involved in the club's politics. Whilst they're stabbing each other in the back they will leave you alone. :thumbs:

G

• Like 1

Thse clubs are looking to see you are safe first, and fit in with the general way of life at the club second.

I am Secretary of a Home Office Approved Club at Bisley and I can assure you there is no attitude whatsoever in my club.

It is a small friendly club with all manner of folk from all backgrounds and financial standing, including a Team GB member.

We have Home Office rules to follow re new/existing members and probationary periods, as well as NRA/MoD Shooter Certification.

As walshie says, we major on safety and disposition, we enjoy the club primarily as fun, that's why it exists!

I would not want to be part of any club that exhibited attitudes mentioned by some above.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Some in my club never use either a rifle or shotgun on live quarry. Others, like myself enjoy Pigeon, Rabbit, Squirrel and Rat on their own permissions. Other also shoot Pheasant and some are Wildfowlers. I've never had any class differences! Without a club, how would UK shooters get to shoot .50 cal BMG?

• Like 1

I would not want to be part of any club that exhibited attitudes mentioned by some above

I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as a member.

Groucho Marx :D

Edited by Graham M

I would not want to be part of any club that exhibited attitudes mentioned by some above

I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as a member.

Groucho Marx :D

:laugh::thumbs:

it seems a divide on the votes, lol theres those for them and those against, but i must say from the people i have spoken to most of them think its a klicky klicky thing, like i say my main reasons for joining are to learn from experienced people fingers crossed any way

When I joined the City of Birmingham club @1987 I was amazed at how up-their-own-arses some of them were. I was a member for over a year before anyone on the committee actually deigned to have a conversation with me, and that was only because I was shooting very well.

It can be off-putting if you let it, but I doubt you will find many clubs as uppity as they were.

As with so many great things it was brought to its knees, not by legislation, but by land developers who wanted the land to build on.

Get past any snooty upper class nonsense and most of the other members are usually great.

G

• Like 1

One I went to they were real arse holes.

I agree with being safe as a top priority, although I was a guest of a friend. Walked in, they had a club rifle laid out on the range facing down range BOLT OUT.

I asked the friend is it was safe to have a look. He said yes and I was duly bollocked by this range master as he didn't say it was safe himself.

Now I know I'm no expert but pointing an unloaded rifle, without a bolt in down a range on which it is laid out for members use isn't the end of the world.

Had it not been the done thing at the club I would have happily accepted being told so in a respectful manner, rather than scolded like some naughty child and shouted at.

I never went back and much prefer going out with lads who do vermin control and game shooting / deer stalking.

I also found many members are the club to be what some describe as "gun nuts" , "fanatics" "fantasists" and "Walter Mitty" .

However I also shot one for a local air rifle gun club, shooting .177 rifle in building at a steel bell. It was a fantastic time I had and every club member was helpful, nice to be around and generally great people. Therefore we can see they are not all the same.

• Like 1