How Good Is An 18 Year Old Weihrauch Hw80 .22???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good evening Gentlemen.   Well, I went out on a farm permission tonight and decided on taking my ' old girl ' 18 years old HW80 .22. I haven't been out with her for almost a year now but, after a c

Nice shooting Simon   And lads this old baby of Simon's is going to have a make over a full strip of the old stock all the way back ,stain,d and oil,d   so she looks like new or better.   Both

Awsome mac   This my last refinish job, it's my mates gun I just got him to send me a pic.........  

Posted Images

REZ.

Meet up with me to shoot my HW80 in Summer will be fine James. I'll dare say I'll have my stock back from Mac by then!

Looking forward to meeting you James.

Best.regards

Simon

• Like 3

REZ.

Meet up with me to shoot my HW80 in Summer will be fine James. I'll dare say I'll have my stock back from Mac by then!

Best.regards

Simon

I may deliver the stock in person

and then i can show you how to shoot a springer properly lol :whistling:

Or i could just stay for a cuppa and you can show me how to shoot one lol :laugh:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

REZ.

Best.regards

Simon

I may deliver the stock in person

and then i can show you how to shoot a springer properly lol :whistling:

Or i could just stay for a cuppa and you can show me how to shoot one lol :laugh:

And we'll have the evidence on your camera and uploaded ! If you don't mind the drive down to RAF Coningsby's area in Lincolnshire then, I think we can run to something more than just a cuppa for you Jim. ;) That would be really proper as we can fit the stock and zero her back in. And ,as I don't film my shooting but, I feel bit uncomfortable at times when I can't show something or how a particular rifle I have performs.

Ban him from bringing his camera Simon :rtfm:

He`ll take a picture when your in a "relaxed posture" :laugh:

atb

Just not how I LOOK! :laugh::tongue2: There may be people of a nervous disposition looking in. :blink:

But there'll be some right shooting here to show the lads, eh!

Best wishes mate.

Simon.

• Like 1

Im sorting the gear now that i need to do your stock Simon .

and ill try and sort some thing out to bring it down my self iv just google,d it ant it will take 3hours 47mins to get to you so not that bad .

Right what stain do you want put on it

or i could dye the stock but i must stress iv not dye,d a stock yet ,iv just been and had a look at some of the dye,s and stains but need to know what you want on it ,

like i say,d ill post the progress on hear for you to see

BUT if your not happy with the color let me know strait away so i can change it

im going to true oil it when the staining processes is sorted

to give it that little bit of shine to it

• Like 1

I love that Tru Oil finish as I actually like a polished shine on my stocks jim, It's a fairly dark finish this HW80 stock which I like but, that is possibly a series of dye coats that make it appear this way. Just bring out the grains and figures with whatever you think is proper.

It's not heavily dinged or dented but, just tatty and worn from years of use, so, anything you can do, is only going to vastly improve its appearance.

We have a spare room so you will stay the night with us........

Only the two ghosts here...

An old man, which once scared the hell out of Helen when she was in bed alone . She'd gone to bed earlier than me and he just appeared out of the gloom of a dark corner of our bedroom and she freakin screamed!!. And a beautiful young woman. I saw her once she's quite lovely. I saw her combing her hair in the bedroom window as I came back into the cottage. I though it was Helen's daughter Rosie as she was staying with us, in the spare bedroom. But then, when I came in, Rosie was in the lounge watching TV and Helen's asking me who was I smiling at?

But they won't keep you awake.

Much!

• Like 1

I love that Tru Oil finish as I actually like a polished shine on my stocks jim, It's a fairly dark finish this HW80 stock which I like but, that is possibly a series of dye coats that make it appear this way. Just bring out the grains and figures with whatever you think is proper.

It's not heavily dinged or dented but, just tatty and worn from years of use, so, anything you can do, is only going to vastly improve its appearance.

We have a spare room so you will stay the night with us........

Only the two ghosts here...

An old man, which once scared the hell out of Helen when she was in bed alone . She'd gone to bed earlier than me and he just appeared out of the gloom of a dark corner of our bedroom and she freakin screamed!!. And a beautiful young woman. I saw her once she's quite lovely. I saw her combing her hair in the bedroom window as I came back into the cottage. I though it was Helen's daughter Rosie as she was staying with us, in the spare bedroom. But then, when I came in, Rosie was in the lounge watching TV and Helen's asking me who was I smiling at?

But they won't keep you awake.

Much!

Well iv got to stay now or ill just get some stick off vm and mark then theirs David and vizlauk the list will go on and on lol

If im staying over may as well bring my hunting gear with me and make a night of it .

or we could just go on the p*ss :drinks:

ill sort your stock for you mate no worry's iv got a old smk hear ill strip it and dye it to see what it turns out like

before i do yours and if i dont like it then it will be the stain for yours

No simon it'll be Mac keeping them awake all night!!

Sounds an interesting place you've got...

It is random. :thumbs:

A three bedroom cottage and former village bakery built in 1850. The bakery was wound down in the 40s and joined to the cottage as an extension is now my dining room and kitchen. Sometimes we get a whiff of baking bread early at dawn. I thought I was imagining it but, Helen smells it too. And there's a rich smell of pipe tobbacco occasionally rises in my study in the early hours.

It really is haunted this old place. But it's really lovely here. We have an achre of beautiful garden of three lawns and orchards of fruit trees. Apples, Plum, Pear and Damsen. Helen makes good gin with Damsen berries ;)

Our three little cats don't seem to get spooked much, but, not long ago, they all stopped playing in our lounge, to look down the hallway at nothing at all.

• Like 2

Very interesting :icon_eek:

We live in a large house that had an old and lovely lady by the name of Mrs Ashurst (a seamstress) living here long ago that was burgled,she was tied up to a chair in the hall and left. The poor lady died in my hall from these thieve`s actions. :no:

Anyways being a builder all these years you start "respecting" old property and when i bought my place i asked "openly" to Mrs Ashurst could i "please live here", bring my children up here and "love the house", - it was accepted.

Because of the past i play a joke on visitors, :D ,it goes like this,- "Is this house as haunted as they say Mark" ? - oh yes, just the other night i was watching telly and the door from the hall slowly opened, as usual :icon_eek: .A misty figure floats right up to me, - leans forward and gently whispered,- " y`all right love" ?

Gets some laughs that does.

Yep, 40 years building, i could tell you tales, (that`s happened) to make your hair curl ." Twice"

• Like 1

Aw Mark you've got to tell a story or few now mate.! :icon_eek: Never met a builder yet who says he didn't believe in ghosts.

:hmm: And for the sceptical rest who say There's no such thing? That's only because you ain't seen or experienced one......YET! :icon_eek:

I had an old farmhouse in North Yorkshire fifteen years or so ago. It was haunted by a cloaked figure who wandered about outside as well as in. I never saw him but, our neighbours told us there were some strange sounds coming from the place while it was empty. A man sobbing was what they said. Their property joined this place

My partner at the time saw this spirit and just froze to the spot. It went past her and wandered off through a wall! We had a cat who wailed and hissed like Hell at an old stone wall at the time. I was later told that one of the builder's lads who was renovating the place before we bought it, was working in one of the lounges clearing the fireplace alone, when this figure of a very tall man in a hooded cloak appeared behind him! He refused to work there after that.

Back on shooting, I have a permission at a famous hotel near here, set in fantastic acres of grounds where the rabbits are chewing up the lawns and garden plants. That place has Dambuster Wg Cdr. Guy Gibson's ghost seen wandering the passageways and hallways into 617 Sqns bar when the place was their Officers mess during the war!

Spirits in search of spirits!

We'll go over there Mac if you like, when you come down! If you get down early for mid morning/lunchtime, you can relax, we'll fit the stock to the 80 zero it up and out in the afternoon for bit of rabbit shooting till nightfall and a couple of pints of good beer afterwards. Home and supper. Not a bad day eh mate?!

Rabid

Thanks very much sir. It is an idylic spot. I have the Battle of Britain Memorial flight up the road who overfly the cottage when they are out training with the Lancaster and Spitfires and Hurricanes. The RAF Typhoon Force trains here. So you have a free air show most days of the week. And some of the best shooting and hunting anyone could want. I'm absolutely at peace here with life.

Honestly. Even if I won the Lottery. I don't think I would want to move.

• Like 2

Ok, a quick tale that happened to me as a 16 yr old apprentice.

Byrom Hall, Lowton.

I was working here straight out of school as apprentice glazier for Harvin Glass.

Each and every morning our tools were strewn across floors/ rooms and we had to collect them up. Doors all opened up. Locked doors opened up with the lock still on and the boss was the only person with keys.

Doors slamming shut on their own.

Now heres the bit that frightened the hell out of me,- working on edge by a ground floor window, a radio was playing music on full blast, my boss arrived and shouted " turn that radio down"! So i did, 30 sec`s later it was on full blast again.

My boss, Vinney, was a "no nonsense" type of boss and angrily came over and pulled the plug out of the wall.

The on sight electrician who was in the hall shouted, "Why has that radio been working, the electrics been switched off all morning" ?

My boss put the silent radio down and started to walk away,- the radio came back on as loud as ever,- no nonsense Vinney grabbed the radio, opened the battery compartment - no batteries !

We all shit it and ran outside. The radio played full blast, on its own for about another 5 mins then suddenly fell silent and two doors slammed shut, HARD.

Just one tale of a few lads.

P.S when we opened a false wall up by where the radio caper occurred we found a long forgotten priest hole.

It was here that i learned from an old glazier,- "Ask their permission, in places like this, first lad and then it should be alright "

atb

• Like 1