.243/.223 New Setup

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would be unusual to have the rifle conditioned for fox only nowadays, both .223 and .243, I think you will find an all other legal quarry condition will apply, which of course means you are free to

Insist on speaking to your FEO too, the admin that answered the phone for Lincs f****d me off with;   "I'm not allowed to give any information regarding what land is passed for, it's against data pr

You don't have to have deer on your land....you don't even need any land of your own to shoot on to get a rifle for deer   Tell them your going paid stalking   I would pass on the Remington packag

Posted Images

Where's the best place to get the wildcats from??

The sports match scope mounts, are they good enough for a centre fire rifle?? For less than £20 they seem to be more for air rifles and rimfires.

Most RFD will be able to get Predators, and always worth a chat about the price!

The Tikka Sportsmatch are designed for Tikkas, Sportsmatch also make mounts for other centrefires, you will not find anyone complaining about their mounts. Like I said earlier I run Sportsmatch and Optilock on my Tikkas, (the first 2 in the picture #29). I consider the Optilock overpriced and flawed, there is one joining screw between base and ring and it a problem getting them lined up. Some Like Optilock, they are welcome, but I have found no difference in performance between Optilock and Sportsmatch, and would never buy Optilock again having found the Sportsmatch. Sportsmatch are also easier/quicker to mount. If the Sportsmatch didn't work I wouldn't use them. Don't let the price influence you, Optilock just make a Huge profit!

:thumbs:

I can't find anywhere that seems to say compact p8?? They have p8s but no search brings up a compact version can you put a link to where you get your ones from please??

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

This should tell you all you want to know.

Anywhere that sells the Wildcat will be able to get the Compact. Same price as the full version last time I checked, the baffles are the same, just a smaller tube etc.

Thanks for the info I'll look into those sportsmatch mounts

If you are going down the Howa route I don't think you will find the Optilock any use, "as far as I'm aware" they are designed for Tikkas and Sako.

Not sure what Sportsmatch make for Howa either. This is so often the problem, different rifles often need different mountings!

Edit

Just had a look at Sportsmatch site and they do appear offer some for Howa http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/products

Edited by Deker

From what I've seen so far quick search that is they seem to standard of 1" or 30mm mounts for dovetails so will need to check what the howa base is

Sportsmatch site says they make mounts for Howa, if you can't work out which ones, a call or email to them will bring answers I'm sure.

I don't know what fitting the Howa has off hand, but "if" the Howa has standard dovetails you will have a massive choice of mounts from loads of manufacturers!

Actually, thinking out loud, I seem to recall you will need bases and rings for the Howa...I could be wrong, do doubt a Howa owner will come along and clarify.

Edited by Deker

I can't find anywhere that seems to say compact p8?? They have p8s but no search brings up a compact version can you put a link to where you get your ones from please??

Here's the P8 models available. http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/complete-moderators.html

I'm not sure if this is true of all Howas, but mine and my son's have a picatinny rail to mount the scope on.

Your choice of rifle is a good one also the optilocks are a good idea on a Tikka. I would however think again about an ase utra mod. They are efficient but unbalance a rifle too much for my liking. I get Dave Mercer DM80 to make all my mods as he makes them calibre specific, over barrel and can be stripped to clean. I always have them made so that they come back to virtually touch the end of the stock. They weigh the same as a jet z cqb but the weight is dissapated over a longer area. They are very well made and cheaper than ase utra.

Is that Dave mercer on this forum?? What sort of price do the mods come out at??

You have a pm ;)

Here's the P8 models available. http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/complete-moderators.html

I'm not sure if this is true of all Howas, but mine and my son's have a picatinny rail to mount the scope on.

:thumbs:

Now I think about it more doesn't the Howa have the same mount/fixings as the Remington, that should give you a fair few options! :thumbs: