.243/.223 New Setup

That's interesting! I'm putting a variation in soon (also North KENT) and would like .243 for fox and later on deer. Who was your FEO? We may have the same one as I met several before my .22lr & .17hmr were put on an open certificate.

I have Mark. Da12 area. I only have .22 closed so have to get written permission send it off before I'm allowed to shoot the land.

if you have a closed condition, I.E words to the effect, the .22 rf rifle and sound moderator,shall be used for shooting ground game and vermin, over land deemed suitable by the chief constable for the area the land is situated, you do not need to send in permission slips before shooting, PROVIDING the land is passed for a .22 or above, and you have permission obviously.
I think that's the thing with the closed license is that you do need to send in the permission land permission form for each permission as you don't know if it's been passed for that calibre till you do. Can't just take the word of the land owner all the time as it may have been passed before but things/ buildings etc have changed which means the land it's suitable for that calibre anymore.

All you need do is ring your local (or any firearms licensing dept) and ask about an individual piece of ground it is all on national computer, if the ground is passed off you go, I will repeat, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEND IN PERMISSION SLIPS BEFORE SHOOTING,IF THE GROUND IS PASSED FOR YOUR CALIBRE OR ABOVE.

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would be unusual to have the rifle conditioned for fox only nowadays, both .223 and .243, I think you will find an all other legal quarry condition will apply, which of course means you are free to

Insist on speaking to your FEO too, the admin that answered the phone for Lincs f****d me off with;   "I'm not allowed to give any information regarding what land is passed for, it's against data pr

You don't have to have deer on your land....you don't even need any land of your own to shoot on to get a rifle for deer   Tell them your going paid stalking   I would pass on the Remington packag

Posted Images

That's interesting! I'm putting a variation in soon (also North KENT) and would like .243 for fox and later on deer. Who was your FEO? We may have the same one as I met several before my .22lr & .17hmr were put on an open certificate.

I have Mark. Da12 area. I only have .22 closed so have to get written permission send it off before I'm allowed to shoot the land.

if you have a closed condition, I.E words to the effect, the .22 rf rifle and sound moderator,shall be used for shooting ground game and vermin, over land deemed suitable by the chief constable for the area the land is situated, you do not need to send in permission slips before shooting, PROVIDING the land is passed for a .22 or above, and you have permission obviously.
I think that's the thing with the closed license is that you do need to send in the permission land permission form for each permission as you don't know if it's been passed for that calibre till you do. Can't just take the word of the land owner all the time as it may have been passed before but things/ buildings etc have changed which means the land it's suitable for that calibre anymore.

All you need do is ring your local (or any firearms licensing dept) and ask about an individual piece of ground it is all on national computer, if the ground is passed off you go, I will repeat, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEND IN PERMISSION SLIPS BEFORE SHOOTING,IF THE GROUND IS PASSED FOR YOUR CALIBRE OR ABOVE.

Insist on speaking to your FEO too, the admin that answered the phone for Lincs f****d me off with;

"I'm not allowed to give any information regarding what land is passed for, it's against data protection"

followed by "are you sure there are deer on the land?".................. no luv, I'm phoning just for a chat ffs!

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3

Exactly! If the land is passed for your calibre, and you have the landowners permission ............. happy hunting. :boogy:

• Like 1

More bullshit from a licensing authority, don't stand for it. You only need show good reason and you have,

Exactly. No where do the licensing laws state that to show good reason every species you intend to shoot must live on or visit your own permission. You have good reason for the calibre independent of deer and you have a confirmed standing invitation to shoot deer over a known deer permission in the company of an established stalker. So as you're granted a deer legal calibre there needs to be some justification as to why you can't have AOLQ or a deer condition on your certificate. Just strikes me as pedantic. As I said earlier, talk to the BASC and maybe they can intervene on your behalf.

Insist on speaking to your FEO too, the admin that answered the phone for Lincs f****d me off with;

"I'm not allowed to give any information regarding what land is passed for, it's against data protection"

followed by "are you sure there are deer on the land?".................. no luv, I'm phoning just for a chat ffs!

Yeah I'd insist on speaking to the FEO and ask him to confirm the clearance in an email. You might not get the latter, but it never hurts to ask.

First off I don't like packages, because they never offer what I want.

I would rate the Tikka top, then Howa.

However, this isn't for me its for you, and frankly I'd give serious consideration to the 770.

:thumbs:

I went and look at the 3 rifles and after looking at the 3 side by side and what they feel like and what they compare to one another in price etc. I feel the tikka t3 lite in a standard stainless barrel is going to be the one for me.

As for the packages the tikka seems to come with a fair package as well. It comes with the mod sl5 I think, a Burris 3-12x56 scope and optilok mounts. Where the mod is I think the guy said was £200, the mounts £200 and the scope £600 and then the rifle is I think was £895 so overall a fair package and saving of £400 and I think it covers all the basics I need especially to start with.

Do what you like but Optilock for £200?

Optilocks list a total here of £120, http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/en-uk/d495_Optilock_scope_mounts.html and if you shop around cheaper. I run Optilock on one of my T3 and Sportsmatch (£18.49p ALL in) on the other http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/mounts--rails-1-tube-mounts-(11mm-38-dovetails)-sportmatch-1-mounts/smto48c-sportsmatch-2-piece-double-clamp-1-mounts-45mm-[to48c]-15mm-dovetail.html , there is no difference in performance, but frankly I think the Sportsmatch are easier to mount, and if there is a next time it will 100% be Sportsmatch for me.

The SL5 is a good mod in my book, but sits on the ends of the barrel, it isn't over barrel, that adds front end imbalance and on a T3 Lite it would not be my choice!

Burris at £600, what reticle? Again, get/do what you like, but there is no need to spend £600 on a scope.

This lot explains why I don't like packages!

ATB!

Edited by Deker

Sportsman gun centre usually have deals on scopes. You can get some Zeiss for that type of money or less:

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/optics-accessories/rifle-scopes/zeiss-scopes/sort-by/price/sort-direction/asc

It might be worth making some comparison and looking up reviews on glass quality and tracking for each model, before making a decision.

Your choice of rifle is a good one also the optilocks are a good idea on a Tikka. I would however think again about an ase utra mod. They are efficient but unbalance a rifle too much for my liking. I get Dave Mercer DM80 to make all my mods as he makes them calibre specific, over barrel and can be stripped to clean. I always have them made so that they come back to virtually touch the end of the stock. They weigh the same as a jet z cqb but the weight is dissapated over a longer area. They are very well made and cheaper than ase utra.

Your choice of rifle is a good one also the optilocks are a good idea on a Tikka. I would however think again about an ase utra mod. They are efficient but unbalance a rifle too much for my liking. I get Dave Mercer DM80 to make all my mods as he makes them calibre specific, over barrel and can be stripped to clean. I always have them made so that they come back to virtually touch the end of the stock. They weigh the same as a jet z cqb but the weight is dissapated over a longer area. They are very well made and cheaper than ase utra.

Is that Dave mercer on this forum?? What sort of price do the mods come out at??

Optilocks list a total here of £120, http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/en-uk/d495_Optilock_scope_mounts.html and if you shop around cheaper. I run Optilock on one of my T3 and Sportsmatch (£18.49p ALL in) on the other http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/mounts--rails-1-tube-mounts-(11mm-38-dovetails)-sportmatch-1-mounts/smto48c-sportsmatch-2-piece-double-clamp-1-mounts-45mm-[to48c]-15mm-dovetail.html , there is no difference in performance, but frankly I think the Sportsmatch are easier to mount, and if there is a next time it will 100% be Sportsmatch for me.

The SL5 is a good mod in my book, but sits on the ends of the barrel, it isn't over barrel, that adds front end imbalance and on a T3 Lite it would not be my choice!

Burris at £600, what reticle? Again, get/do what you like, but there is no need to spend £600 on a scope.

ATB!

Yeah speaking with a friend of mine who is the one that's going to be taking me out stalking at least to start with, I've decided to look again at the rifles and what secondhand mods and scope I can get for the same sort of money in the end. So he's suggesting and I'm leaning more towards that way of thinking now is to get the rifle on its own, leaning more towards the howa 1500 for that and then looking to get a 8x56 Schmidt and Bender scope with a wildcat mod. Looking at prices around I'm looking at £550 for stainless steel howa. £350-£400 for scope and then

£220 for wildcat predator 8 or £240 for predator 12. Plus £120 for mounts so looking at £1240 roughly for that package but with a better scope and mod than any of the other standard packages.

ATB!

Yeah speaking with a friend of mine who is the one that's going to be taking me out stalking at least to start with, I've decided to look again at the rifles and what secondhand mods and scope I can get for the same sort of money in the end. So he's suggesting and I'm leaning more towards that way of thinking now is to get the rifle on its own, leaning more towards the howa 1500 for that and then looking to get a 8x56 Schmidt and Bender scope with a wildcat mod. Looking at prices around I'm looking at £550 for stainless steel howa. £350-£400 for scope and then

£220 for wildcat predator 8 or £240 for predator 12. Plus £120 for mounts so looking at £1240 roughly for that package but with a better scope and mod than any of the other standard packages.

I run the Predators as it happens, on my .223, .243 and .308.., They are all the P8 COMPACT version. There is no need for the Predator 12 on a .223 or .243, noise wise you will struggle to notice any difference, it will simply add unnecessary weight and cost more.

As I say, mine are all the Compact version, I started with a Full P8 and bought the parts to convert it after comparing my Full P8 to a pals Compact P8. Then I bought the Compacts for my others. The tube top right (ish) of the picture is from the Full P8 so you can see how much shorter the Compact is, it also saves weight of course!

post-10759-0-34538900-1458887597.jpg