The Spring Traps Approval (Variation) (England) Order 2016

I had a couple of the Koro's sent over to have a play with, i agree with Jdarcy the bar will push the target species out of the trap, i also think the the treadle plate on the larger ones is too small,

I also think the trap would work better if the target approached from the side [the side furthest away from the bar] , but reading the regs this would be illegal.

Just my thoughts.

Brian

EXACTLY mate..... i've redesigned a koro and it looks very good, even if I say so myself. Different trigger and tredle...

Can you put your design into use JD, as just say, a modified trigger?

I had a couple of the Koro's sent over to have a play with, i agree with Jdarcy the bar will push the target species out of the trap, i also think the the treadle plate on the larger ones is too small,

I also think the trap would work better if the target approached from the side [the side furthest away from the bar] , but reading the regs this would be illegal.

Just my thoughts.

Brian

EXACTLY mate..... i've redesigned a koro and it looks very good, even if I say so myself. Different trigger and tredle...

Can you put your design into use JD, as just say, a modified trigger?

Illegal buddy.....although totally more humane. i've shown it to a trapping legend who knows far more about traps than I ever will and he's impressed.....but it's a financial no-no.....IMO defra have too a big leap backwards into footholds with the koro ha ha ....

Hopefully a cheaper option than a kania...

I have 5 Kania`s they are bloody expensive, but do the job + humanely.

But twice I have had the traps at ground level with the approved safety cage, & both secured to a plank of wood, only for a hedgehog to get through the small square opening, turn right angle and walk into the trap.

I now place the traps above ground on a couple of bricks to help prevent this happening again

Hopefully a cheaper option than a kania...

I have 5 Kania`s they are bloody expensive, but do the job + humanely.

But twice I have had the traps at ground level with the approved safety cage, & both secured to a plank of wood, only for a hedgehog to get through the small square opening, turn right angle and walk into the trap.

I now place the traps above ground on a couple of bricks to help prevent this happening again

I have had Hedgehogs on a couple of occasions over the years,(hate killing them - I know there can be issues with ground nesting birds) it is amzing how small a gap they can get through, about 20 years ago I watched one force its spikey body through a chain link fence that had been dug in at the bottom. Saw the first one dead on the road yesterday.

There have been some othertraps that were listed on the schedule but I have never seen them available, Skinns Superior Squirrel Trap, VS Squirrel trap. Does anyone have any info pics diagrams of how they work.