Seasonal Power

Anyone else notice there PCP's drop a tad during winter?

For example, my 100. It hasn't been used in a little while, just sat, so I dropped it over the crono today and noticed it's down on power. Same everything, pellets and so on. It was @ 11.1, now its down to 10.6, 12 shots into a full tank.

Its not something Im worried about at all. Happy with it whatever, but the general thought is its down to the weather.

So, yeah, thought Id put it out there.

Down to ambient temps, air expands when warm, that's why you want your cylinder filled slowly and preferably sat in cold water or you won't be getting what your paying for. It could also be the lube thickening up.

Edited by treecreeper
  • Like 2

Probs explains why mine is shooting like that then for this time of year...

This house is a proper oven since i got the combi boiler in and 4 extra radiators. Fill mine inside and then go out to use the chrono so i guess i'm shooting in summer temps really? Hopefully i won't see an increase in power over the hotter months.

Probs explains why mine is shooting like that then for this time of year...

This house is a proper oven since i got the combi boiler in and 4 extra radiators. Fill mine inside and then go out to use the chrono so i guess i'm shooting in summer temps really? Hopefully i won't see an increase in power over the hotter months.

If you fill inside and mostly go straight out in to the cold you may even see the power drop in the summer (depending on just how toasty your new boiler keeps the house and how warm your cylinder gets when it's filled ;) ) It's the difference in temperature that causes a difference in pressure. If you fill quickly without letting the cylinder cool then go straight outside in to the cold winter air there will be a greater difference in temp (and hence pressure), hot air tries to take up a greater volume than relatively cooler air so whilst it's warm will give more psi in your cylinder. If you leave the cylinder temperature to equalise with the cooler air the difference is reduced and as a result the pressure in the cylinder relative to the external air pressure drops and you get fewer shots per fill and potentially a slightly less powerful PCP :) As an aside, my wife tells me I'm not very good at explaining myself and having re-read that paragraph I'm starting to think she may have a point :(

My HM is down a touch too, to 10.4, still bangin on the door of 9ft/lbs of retained energy at 40 yards though, which I struggle to believe, but it's what chair gun informs me.