Thanks for that info mate. I get what you mean with the hose I will not be in any rush for fish as was planning on filling the pond then let it run for a few weeks befor introducing fish. Thanks again mate much appreciated :thumbs:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after a long Wait a good brickie mate ad a free weekend to get a start on my pond after a week delay lol looking good up to now should be finished tomorrow fingers crossed if not net weekend. Can

Well after 5 coats of paint and weeks to cure I finally filled up the pond today. Toke a couple of hours and some fiddling with the filter box to get the flow right but it's all finished. I will be le

Well mate called back to finish of the brick work and put the toppers on and I cracked on with the corner seating looking good if I do say so

Posted Images

Stick a few plants in as they live off the waste, like lilys and elodea (takes over but is a oxygenator), got gudgeon and a tench in mine to clear food off the bottom. Nice set up you done with it

Am going for a sturgeon for the bottom feeder only the one tho

Caviar on tap when it's older then hahahaha

• Like 1

IMO that pond design dosnt allow much scope for planting anything neither does it give fish any spawning areas but for a first pond ,great .

Ps Sturgeon need feeding all year round with pellets ,they are not bottem cleaners .If you dont want loads of immature fish add a few small perch .

• Like 1

IMO that pond design dosnt allow much scope for planting anything neither does it give fish any spawning areas but for a first pond ,great .

Ps Sturgeon need feeding all year round with pellets ,they are not bottem cleaners .If you dont want loads of immature fish add a few small perch .

I realised the plat bit once the pond was built what I should have done was told the brickie to put a course of block on there side so they stuck out in the pond then I could have put the plants on my he ledge while the fish could have used the ledge for cover. I have been looking at some decant size bits off bog wood with bottom pond plants growing on them I am trying to find some pond rocks. I have a quarry not 5 min from me with loads of what looks like slate there is a big pool in the quarry and the water is crystal clear not sure if it's any good what's your thoughts fd?

IMG_1834.jpg

my own pond about 9 x14 ft .4 ft on the right half ,2 ft on the left .Mirror carp to 12 lb and 2grass carp to 8lb each .Fair few large goldfish ,4 small koi ,roach ,Rudd and perch to 4lb which I hand feed with lobworm and fish strips .Two Sturgeon about a foot long .I'll take a pic in summer as plants arnt at their best right now .

• Like 8

Found the biggest perch at about 3lb ,isolated in a culvert under a road ,feeding on sticklebacks .Took two more years for it to get to about 4 lb .Few smaller ones of about half pound in there too .Ill try get pics as i hand feed some of them .They are just switching on to food now though most days throughout this mild winter they have had a small amount .Its very easy to keep adding fish especially visiting pond centres but you have to know when enough is enough .What i do add is small rudd to occupy the perch throughout the summer .

• Like 2

If thats to me mate ,they are both pond expert and the biggest they do .Pump and all in one filter ,uv.Find them very capable and good after care for bulbs info etc .The tench i have in there must eat its own weight in snails every summer as im forever putting new in .

Its right what fox dropper says about herons aswell, I never had any visit me but my dad had one that used to land on roof of the house and he lived on a new estate so it was a built up area.

Just seen this,I've seen a heron land in house roof behind ,an try for goldfish,and I live in middle of large housing estate.

If thats to me mate ,they are both pond expert and the biggest they do .Pump and all in one filter ,uv.Find them very capable and good after care for bulbs info etc .The tench i have in there must eat its own weight in snails every summer as im forever putting new in .

Do you keep koi or a just a mix fresh water fish