Finally

So my Patts nearly two now and hadn't had a proper dig until Sunday! He'd been used on a few rescues where mute terriers had dropped in accidentally so we could get a mark and get them out and he had marked up a few earths when I had no spade on me...I even rang a mate to bring me a spade not too long ago an he turns up with two terriers and no spade!!! Not spoken to him since for being such a moron haha..Seemed every time I went out looking for a dig it didn't happen.

So last Sunday I was out my house at 5:30 down to a good mates in Wiltshire, quick bacon sarny an a coffee and set off out on the quad by 8:00.

My mate is like the Colin McRae of the quad world and I'm gripping on for dear life blinded by the 100mph wind and mud splattering my face but as usual none of that seems to matter when your out with the dogs, if it was like that at work I'd be your stereotypical wingey southerner trying my hardest to get an early shoot.

Got to the first spot to try and collared him up, let him off from 100 feet away and he makes a b line straight to the earth and he's in. A few minutes pass and can hear him baying away nicely when I noticed my mate laughing at me, I realised I had a grin from ear to ear like a kid waiting to open a present except this present needed a spade to open. Let him settle and got a mark at 1.4, It's soft chalk there so with a sharp tooth and a few of us digging we was down in no time. Broke through to him and he was a foot off his foe screaming his little lungs out, eyes bulging proper fired up like I'v never seen him before...it was as if he'd finally realised what being a terrier was all about.

Now I always suspected he'd be very vocal as when bushing he makes a racket and even in the motor or quad he will whine all bloody day which is annoying to say the least, I'm forever banging his box yelling "shut up ya ginger &£@%" or something along those lines. Iv heard some noisy dogs in my time from bulls screaming, salukis howling, hounds singing and a few bull x's crying haha but this was something else. If there was ever a competition for noisiest b*****d dog he would win with that performance but for me and what I want from a terrier it's spot on.

Dog lifted, quarry dispatched, one very happy dog and owner, back filled and onto the next one ??

image_9.jpeg

Edited by j1985
  • Like 11

Good read and day, nice dog, would of thought it would be the sort to want to work or mix it alot younger,

Thanks ??

He did, he's seen plenty on top. It wasn't him not wanting it was me holding him back due to various circumstances.

• Like 1