I thought ireland done it once forgive me if I am wrong, but they now have some of the best bass fishing from the shore.

I want to know how they are going to police it, there is a bass nursery near where i live and in the summer you see eastern europens taking 6/8 inch school bass by the bucket loads and the ea only check about once aweek.

Nice to see the bass get some protection but as said shore anglers hardly make a big impact apart from the odd silly sod taking under size ones. Then again it will give the bass a chance to spawn as well but I doubt many shore anglers will stick to the rules unless they all ready catch and release. To be honest I include my self in that and yes how do they plan to enforce it with anglers hitting the beaches at all hours and what they going to do search people

TBH mate I'd rather take a few undersized ones than deplete the breeding stock (not saying I do by the way as it's illegal)... bass are very slow growers, so taking 3lb plus fish in any sort of quantity will have a big impact

Obviously the nursery zones are working the estuaries here are brimming with schoolies and there are a good few decent ones caught every year too.

The bag limit is a good idea IMO, but ridiculous if there isn't the same rules on commercial fisherman, there are ways to better manage fish levels than persecute one area only.

The good news is bass are now firmly established as our saltwater sports species, they will be worth more alive than dead soon enough so thats a good thing

• Like 3

I have never understood the minimum size limit. You name me one farmer that kills off his breeding ewes and keeps his lambs, same with cattle. Why keep a size limit that kills the fish of breeding age in favour of fish that might or might not reach breeding age? If they made the maximum keepable size limit say 3lb or even 4lb then every female bass would have to be returned. That in turn would allow better breeding stock to build year upon year.

Try looking at it this way, you have 100 bass of breeding size they are able to spawn this year. Without looking for figures lets just say each bass produces 50,000 eggs of which less than 1% will reach maturity that is still 50 odd mature bass. Take that female bass and that year you are down 50 bass.

Yet if only the small fish were harvested, because of the extra fish spawning every year there would be more bass than ever.

TC

Beat me to it mate

• Like 1

What a lot of anglers do not appreciate is that bass are a deep water fish that sometimes come in to shallow water. They have a very complex life style, from what I have read and observations, all bass are born male and as they grow they change sex, but not all will. March and early April (read big spring tides) will see an influx of 1kilo weight male fish at the mouths of estuaries and off shore sand banks anywhere where there is enough turbulence in the water to mix their milt with any female that is there spawning. The bigger tides are the best for them as it pushes the fertilised eggs further up the small creeks where they will hatch and spend the first couple of months of their lives.

It often happened we would get the kilo spunkers then a big female then more spunkers in a net. It would happen with rod and line too, especially with the cock crab moult early in the spring. You would start catching the kilo fish and that could go on for a while, but as soon as you took the big female it would always stop. That would carry on from March to late May early June. I made a living fishing for bass, in most shape and forms except for trawling for 15 years and yet I still know so little about them. A truly an enigma of a fish that set the pulse racing like no other.

TC

• Like 4

Another EU ruling that the French, Spanish and Portuguese will just ignore like they have done around our coastline for the last 20 years...

same with the scallop and quennie trawlers the French and Spanish rape the grounds round here and are in the 12 mile limit all the time

Another EU ruling that the French, Spanish and Portuguese will just ignore like they have done around our coastline for the last 20 years...

same with the scallop and quennie trawlers the French and Spanish rape the grounds round here and are in the 12 mile limit all the time

Funnily enough, all the pair trawlers landing the spring migration in Milford Haven were Scottish. But I stress they were working within the rules, just exploiting a natural phenomenon. As all fishermen do.

TC

TC must have posted at the same time as me.

I was replying to Yokel Matt and Big Lurks.

It was the Spaniards, French and Portuguese I want sent to the bottom of the sea.

I know mate.... wouldn't be so bad lumping the scots in as well whilst we were at it though.. :whistling::D

• Like 1

Looks like my annual emptying of the Devon coastline will have to wait then Kev!

Mackerel it is then this summer. Lol

Matt

Lol... I'm sure we'll find you a bit of sport somewhere mate, you can take 1 if your as spawny as last year!! Lol

• Like 1

TC must have posted at the same time as me.

I was replying to Yokel Matt and Big Lurks.

It was the Spaniards, French and Portuguese I want sent to the bottom of the sea.

I know mate.... wouldn't be so bad lumping the scots in as well whilst we were at it though.. :whistling::D

I had a girlfriend from Glasgow in my teens. Proper dirty she was. So for that reason I will let the Scots off the torpedoing.

• Like 1