Over Before It Began !

How the the lurcher brings you so many ups but the downs are far less welcoming ! My youngest lurcher mouse (the White blue merle bitch in the photo ) had a good start to her lamping carrer and had a great first season ! She was coming on well and showed good qualities ready for here Second season and September was on its way so all excited ! She had a good build up of fitness through the summer with good long walks under her belt ! So I set out with her on the 4 th for a run or two ! It wasn't the best weather but the ground was soft with the rain we had ! She caught on her first run then on her Second slip she she run up to the rabbit the out of no where she fell down a river bank in the middle of the field ! !! The joys of lamping unfamiliar territory ! She jumped out of the bank Screling in pain !! Ran over to her and calmed her down the carried her back to the car !she was in pain so the next morning I took her to the vets. They X-ray her leg and found no fractures and said she had Done The ligaments in her wrist ! So with obvious rest I thought not to bad of news ? I rested her for a solid 6 weeks and she was getting very upset about her lack of freedom to run! But built it up with lead walking the started letting her off . She run around for a week or two but never got into her top gear which wasn't right for her ! And holding her foot up now and again I could tell she wasn't right ! So I got in touch with osteomyologist ( as it says on the sheet of pauper he gave me) from up Hereford way ! When He seen her I could tell it wasn't going to be good news and he said she had fractured her Accessory Carpol Bone and would not run again! He said how they didn't pick this up in the vets is unbelievable but as he said the outcome would of been the same in the fact that I would of know her days on the lamp where over ! Disappointed in the vets I used but a relative working at the desk there got her discount so I won't be bring any trouble her way and will just chose to go else where ! It's not nice when your days hunting have to come to an end with your trusted lurcher but it's inevitable it will happen one day just early on in the running dogs life is always a Bitter taste !! im not one for passing dogs on as I feel it's Disrespectful to have a lurcher then when your hunting is done pass them on ! She will be a nightmare to retire but keeping her from places with rabbits is what I need to do ! I have an older bitch who I will use now and again on the lamp but as she suffers with her feet the day after her nights are very limited ! Which was the only reason I went for mouse but now I need to look at getting a new pup in but not rushing and have a good look out ! Hope you've all had a good season and the dogs are doing what they love ! Cheers storm323

post-28861-0-62739500-1453140079_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

That's a shame storm, but I suppose it's a gamble we all take.

Too many people are quick enough to pass on a mutt and forget about it, good on you. I'm sure she'll be a good companion either way. All the best in your search for another pup.

Atb

Edited by beam

Chin up mucka as they say but I've had 3 in the last 12 month as the first pepper she was called at 14 month highest prey drive I've seen in a lurcher hit a strainer post on a fence fractured her atlas bone and buggered 2 discs wounded wasn't the word I had a 3 year old dog the month after this broke his wrist and 6 fractures all to same leg he's pet homed now with an old friend never to run again but mended ok and the one in my avatar was gifted to me by a pal and she has a reocuring dislocated hip keeps popping in and out and going lame on it so she's much to say the wife's pet I've sat this year out going with my close mate walking one of his with him even when chips are down don't give in even though you might feel like it re group and go again as they say atb

Edited by moocher bb7

that's just bad luck mate, ive aways said lurchers can be very tough old life, lets face it running around in the dark at 35mph its dangerous for any lurcher . glad your going to get another pup :thumbs: , but do you really think keeping a young dog cooped up is really right for it .? the thing is this once they been worked and they know what rabbits are , they will always want to run them . even just kept as pets they never forget there hunting instinct :yes: . ive got 2 dogs one 8 year old the other 3, I most times work the young dog, and leave the older dog in the kennel, the way ive got round it is give the old dog a bone when I take the other dog out , it worked out ok, I give the old dog the odd night ,but as said its the young dog who get all the work. if there kept in total none hunting home well ok , but in a hunting home I think its very hard on them being honest :yes: hope you pup works out for the future :thumbs:

Cheers lads ! Ye I won't be giving up the dogs ! Although disheartening At times it's the pinnacle of my happiness when out with the lurches! I've had a bit of bad luck with dogs in the past but as been said it can be a dangerous game but the dogs enjoy it way to much to not be in the field !! She is in the run with my older bitch bird but I know what you are say but it's a case of what do you do ? I'm still living at home with my mother at the moment but at 25 I don't on planning on being here much longer and she will come in the house then ! Just hope she don't suffer with arthritis to bad as time goes on ! Cheers storm323

Ye mate going into new places your open to slip ups but nothing like a good wonder into the country side ! And Nans pat she had one the other day but I know a dogs will go through a lot of pain to get its quarry ! But you got to ask your self is it fair to take out a crazy high prey driven hound to lamp rabbits and run through pain to get them then in a lot of pain to get there plus it's a part of the wrist joint so it's very hard to heal with all that movement !

Ye mate going into new places your open to slip ups but nothing like a good wonder into the country side ! And Nans pat she had one the other day but I know a dogs will go through a lot of pain to get its quarry ! But you got to ask your self is it fair to take out a crazy high prey driven hound to lamp rabbits and run through pain to get them then in a lot of pain to get there plus it's a part of the wrist joint so it's very hard to heal with all that movement !

cant you strap it's leg up with strict cage rest for say 6 weeks ? I know it's hard work but maybe it'll help it along

mine broke its leg and went on killing hares once it healed.knock it of now it should be fine come sept.

• Like 1

Having been there when it happened gutted for him .. As he said she was kennel bound for about 6 weeks and then lead walked for another 3-4 with no change .. It's a shame but one of those things because of where it is it will never heal apparently

bloody shame that, my mate had a dog do his wrist in, and it never ran proper again, he just used it for ferretting nothing else , better than nothing I suppose .!

• Like 1