Masters Snooker.

Gnash - Are you defining the difference between a sport and a hobby as the sport can have a definitive outcome - i.e. a snooker player beats the other guy by scoring more points, so that's a sport, but a bodybuilder wins a competition based on someone else's opinion? Kind of makes sense put like that.

I suppose so......more than that though sport has to have " an event " surely ?......bodybuilding doesnt have a match/game/fight/race whatever it might be......maybe im talking bollocks i dont know i just consider bodybuilding a lifestyle/hobby rather than a sport.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive never seen a sportsman as naturally gifted as Ronnie.......its almost taking the piss that somebody could be that good without having to work hard.

Ronnies like a box ov choccys, that trump v Robertson was probably the best snooker I've seen ever wow, ronnie v trump final would be cool but he's gotta play a semi

Looks like Ronnies gonna steamroller him!   Cheers, D.

Surely a sport is something you compete at and a hobby is something you do for fun like stick making or pottery ... If you are on a stage competing to win a prize against other body builders then that must be a sport ... If your training in the gym for yourself then it's a hobby ... Gymnasts win or lose by the points the judges give them much the same as bodybuilding but gymnastics is classed as a sport .........

• Like 1

Surely a sport is something you compete at and a hobby is something you do for fun like stick making or pottery ... If you are on a stage competing to win a prize against other body builders then that must be a sport ... If your training in the gym for yourself then it's a hobby ... Gymnasts win or lose by the points the judges give them much the same as bodybuilding but gymnastics is classed as a sport .........

Bodybuilding judges go on their own opinion of what body beautiful is......one judge could have a totally different " eye " to another.......gymnastics i would presume,like boxing has a strict scoring system that must be adhered to regardless who the judges are.

When you are on a bodybuilding stage posing in front of a crowd the actual contest is already over....therefore their is no " event " as such.

For me a sport has to have the same essential ingredients and aim at every level......ie,a football team is trying to score the most goals at any level from 10 year old boys to 200k per week pros the game is the same......a fighter is trying to win the fight at every level.....a sprinter and so on.................a bodybuilder can just be trying to get himself in decent nick with no thought in his mind to ever beat anybody.....how can he be taking part in a sport.

In my opinion it's a sport because he is competing against other body builders to be the best on that day ... To win the prize ... To be number one ........

But doesn't that definition apply to any competitive activity? Doesn't make them all sports though. :hmm:

In my opinion it's a sport because he is competing against other body builders to be the best on that day ... To win the prize ... To be number one ........

But doesn't that definition apply to any competitive activity? Doesn't make them all sports though. :hmm:

What would you use as an example .......

What would you use as an example .......

Fishing? Dancing? I didn't really have anything specifically in mind. I genuinely don't know the answer.

I mean if you compete at anything, you always want to win. Does competing make something a sport?

The dictionary defines sport as .....

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So I suppose anything could be classed as a sport .........

You are not competing against anybody.....there is no prize for you apart from personal achievement.......so are you not a bodybuilder ?

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

A sport has to have an event.......what is classed as the " event " in bodybuilding.....the show...a bodybuilding show requires no exertion,no skill and is not entertaining..........everything a bodybuilder does is part of his everyday life.....hence why its a lifestyle not a sport.

Socks you understand working/sporting dogs......do you believe confrimation dog shows are sport ?

I don't believe any dog shows are a sport and I see where your coming from reference the bodybuilding but surely the instant you step into a stage and compete against other bodybuilder to win a trophy then it becomes a sport ? Oh and please stop sending pictures of you in your last competition .........

74DE4DF6-FC82-4D92-B818-4DA042248CC6.jpg

• Like 1