Shock Collar

Do you honestly think a dog intent on doing something would respond to a "tingle" or "tap on the shoulder" ??

I know a guy that used it on his Lab that chased stock. He responded through fear (and because the burns on his neck were horrific) up until one day he had enough, and when his owner went to the dog, he cowered at first then attacked him. The dog was PTS, the owner blamed the dog!!!!

This is a guy I know personally, who had this thing recommended to him by an apparent "professional" dog trainer!!!

• Like 1

Out of curiosity Dawn and I have never seen or used one my self as I live in wales anyway. But if they have a range of settings and you use the lowest which I gather is just a tingle and as said allows you to give the dog a tap on the shoulder at an appropriate time is that not a good thing ? especially with problem dogs and sheep ? better than having to catch the dog and give it a clout which you can't time as well and not ideal anyway. Yes maybe the dog shouldn't be in that position in the first place. But some are inclined that way it seems

I've never used one on a dog but i used one on myself ( no idea the make ) once to see what they put out, first 2 settings couldn't feel anything,3 was a very slight tingle, my 4, 5 more tingle and 6 like a pulse given out by a electric fence when battery run down or the line is shorting out, nothing as harsh as a mains fencer or a charged up battery one and not be enough to electrocute your dog although they would feel it more than a person would.

People who do use them need to use them responsibly and not as a short cut to proper training, the buzzer will often be enough to do the job.

Is up to the person training to use it properly but i'd say if someone wasn't using that properly then they would also be inclined to overdo any chastisement.

Pain is a very effective training tool. In fact it's used by mother wolves to teach pups, when they don't listen they get a painful nip on the neck.

The being said, you shouldn't abuse your power, because having a good bond with your dog really goes a long way.

I have an American Akita, one of the most stubborn breeds of dog in existence, and have done a very good job training her using a pinch collar.

Training with treats or praise doesn't work with some breeds. If your dogs breed is highly trainable or bred for hunting, you probably won't need to apply any pain based training techniques.

• 4 months later...

Years ago I had a setter and no amount of training would get her to come back tried everything and was worried for her own safety I hired one from a company advertising in H & H one small shock later she came back every time, I only used it for a week and once she had a shock just the bleep was enough to recall her and she never needed anything again for the next 11 years she was perfect in the right hands and right situation they're a good tool but I think they get misused in a lot of cases

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem with shock collars is the clueless, cruel bellends that wouldn't have a clue how to use one correctly.

So on a public forum i'd never advocate the use of them before either training or studdying on how to use them.

Do you honestly think a dog intent on doing something would respond to a "tingle" or "tap on the shoulder" ??

I know a guy that used it on his Lab that chased stock. He responded through fear (and because the burns on his neck were horrific) up until one day he had enough, and when his owner went to the dog, he cowered at first then attacked him. The dog was PTS, the owner blamed the dog!!!!

This is a guy I know personally, who had this thing recommended to him by an apparent "professional" dog trainer!!!

Yes Dawn they do respond to a "tingle" or a "tap on the shoulder" when the dog is trained!

It could be that its working at a great distance in high wind on the hill and can't hear the whistle command, then all that's required is a beep or at most a quick buzz on the vibrate setting. It doesn't hurt the dog in any way, when used by a competent person they can truly be a great aid to owning a polished working dog.

The problems arise like has been said when someone just straps it on and thinks they can train a dog by zapping it willy nilly. You need to learn how to use it properly before trying it on a dog. Seek advice from someone that's already using one that has the desired results. Too many people just try to use for stockbreaking you have to fully understand their use and always start off on the weakest setting and read up on finding the correct setting for the individual dog that is very important.

Edited by Moorman 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I was told to get one by an 'expert trainer' I was a total novice and clueless. If you don't know much about dog training then stay well clear because you will create more problems than you can fix.

• Like 1

Yes Dawn they do respond to a "tingle" or a "tap on the shoulder" when the dog is trained!

It could be that its working at a great distance in high wind on the hill and can't hear the whistle command, then all that's required is a beep or at most a quick buzz on the vibrate setting. It doesn't hurt the dog in any way, when used by a competent person they can truly be a great aid to owning a polished working dog.

The problems arise like has been said when someone just straps it on and thinks they can train a dog by zapping it willy nilly. You need to learn how to use it properly before trying it on a dog. Seek advice from someone that's already using one that has the desired results. Too many people just try to use for stockbreaking you have to fully understand their use and always start off on the weakest setting and read up on finding the correct setting for the individual dog that is very important.

Hi Moorman

I appreciate your point, but should there ever become a day where I need to resort to electrocuting my dog to get it to respond to me, it will be the day I walk away from dogs for good.

Hi Moorman

I appreciate your point, but should there ever become a day where I need to resort to electrocuting my dog to get it to respond to me, it will be the day I walk away from dogs for good.

Dawn you are totally missing the point here, you do not electrocute the dog, they can have great effect on the beep and the vibrate settings. If you have never seen one used correctly then you can't really understand the effect. Your comment shows the lack of understanding that you have, this is why people are so against them. I too was of your mindset until I had witnessed them being used correctly.

Hi Moorman

Im not missing the point at all. We never needed these instruments of torture to train a dog before, so why are they "needed" now? I have had first hand experience of these things, issued by a professional dog trainer and supplier of search and security dogs in the UK. It resulted in a mans arm being severely mauled and the dog being PTS. Its fear these dogs respond to, not respect or a willingness to please.

Please dont tell me that they have "great effect." I will maintain that if you cant control or train a dog using fair methods, then dont have one, because the use of electric shocks are disgusting. Ive seen dogs beaten by their handlers and they do the same "bad" thing again, so I dont believe for one second that a "vibration or tingle" will get that dogs attention when its intent on doing something.

Train your dogs with your voice, with respect and mutual understanding. If you cant then there is something not right. My opinion of course.

Hi Moorman

Im not missing the point at all. We never needed these instruments of torture to train a dog before, so why are they "needed" now? I have had first hand experience of these things, issued by a professional dog trainer and supplier of search and security dogs in the UK. It resulted in a mans arm being severely mauled and the dog being PTS. Its fear these dogs respond to, not respect or a willingness to please.

Please dont tell me that they have "great effect." I will maintain that if you cant control or train a dog using fair methods, then dont have one, because the use of electric shocks are disgusting. Ive seen dogs beaten by their handlers and they do the same "bad" thing again, so I dont believe for one second that a "vibration or tingle" will get that dogs attention when its intent on doing something.

Train your dogs with your voice, with respect and mutual understanding. If you cant then there is something not right. My opinion of course.

Dawn its your opinion as you say and like I said I was totally against them too until I was shown the effect that they can have when used correctly. They are an excellent aid like I said when used CORRECTLY , the dog must first be trained correctly using conventional methods. Believe me that the vibration setting and or the beep is all that is needed when the dog is trained. You have obviously witnessed a disaster which in my opinion would have probably ended the same way without the use of an electronic collar. My views are based on experience, I have trained many dogs to a very good standard without a collar and seen many trained well both with and without its use. So lets agree to disagree and leave it there shall we. All the best!

I've got my new set from e collar technologies USA being sent ATM. I always keep them on for emergencies ie. Dog heading near a road or crossing paths with a big buck marker roo as happened earlier this winter. All the older trained/ experienced dogs froze..my youngest bitch was about to be torn to bits until I gave her a quick hit with the collar and she came straight back to my side. I have a mate that uses this unit from e collar tech and its unreal watching him direct his dogs. I can direct mine with hand signals and whistle but the collars advantage is silent. With the added safety security if needed. I'm getting a 4 dog unit and can adjust/fine tune each dogs collar to the required settings. The pulse with these units is blunt whereas other units have a sharp more piercing pulse. As said there more for communicating with already trained dogs. Not hurting them.

• Like 1