anybody able to catch moles alive?

In the spring when the barley fields are sprouting, moley sometimes makes long runs where he pushes the earth up and doesn't tend to make heaps. At 10 am if you take a look he might be working, pushing up more at the end. It is dark soil. You can tiptoe very gently (Very Gently)and insert a spade behind him and he's yours. Then follow Ditches advice as they can bite.. Where I live, moles tend to work 10 am 3 pm ish, odd I know.

round here there on 2-10 ,10-6 and 6-2 shifts

Ok I asked for that. :doh:

anybody able to catch moles alive?

In the spring when the barley fields are sprouting, moley sometimes makes long runs where he pushes the earth up and doesn't tend to make heaps. At 10 am if you take a look he might be working, pushing up more at the end. It is dark soil. You can tiptoe very gently (Very Gently)and insert a spade behind him and he's yours. Then follow Ditches advice as they can bite.. Where I live, moles tend to work 10 am 3 pm ish, odd I know.

round here there on 2-10 ,10-6 and 6-2 shifts

Ok I asked for that. :doh:

and glad you took it in the way it was intended , round here most farming folk believe this to be true, i have seen moles work at all times of day and even at night , they work when they have to and sleep when they are tired, some work very little ,some have to work thier arses off , its all down to food source

just been reading this thread. liked nobby answer about the releasing them, but why go to all that trouble.

lets face it the only way anybody knows they have moles is because of the hills.

have you lot worked it out yet.

all you need is a bucket of soil ;)

anybody used these catch live traps ?

my vegetarian pal brought me one they are much more difficult to set than a sissor trap and I only had one so I have had no success with it. But I have had moles still alive in sissor traps and I dispatched them with the side of the trap.

Keeping a mole makes a nice biology project for a school...couple of nest boxes connected by tubing and a bigger container to dig in, or a set up with earth between 2 glass plates...you can have the pupils catch worms all day but you can also feed it on bred/bought locusts and such...but it will not survive very long...

shrews are also kind of interesting and one needs less space and set up, fish tank with leafs and small nest box of sorts...

L

You can buy live catch traps for them but apparently they are very prone to stress and tend to die in the traps. They also eat 200 worms a day - or so I read - so are rather difficult to keep fed.

Oli

Vaughan, i think you may be getting your mole facts slightly mixed up, they need around 20 worms a day, but they need on average about 200 mts minimum of tunnels to produce these.

Regards MT.

ps, WHAT MOLEY SAID ABOUT LIVECATCH TRAPS IS RIGHT, THEY ARE CRAP.

You can buy live catch traps for them but apparently they are very prone to stress and tend to die in the traps. They also eat 200 worms a day - or so I read - so are rather difficult to keep fed.

Oli

Vaughan, i think you may be getting your mole facts slightly mixed up, they need around 20 worms a day, but they need on average about 200 mts minimum of tunnels to produce these.

Regards MT.

Are you skiving today as well?

Oli

Regards MT.

Are you skiving today as well?

THAT WILL BE YES MATE. :yes: weather is crap so i have given the staff a day off. :whistling::drink: