Breeding A First Cross

What's every ones opinion on first x grey no matter what it's mated too I often wonder why every one says you need a pure long distance greyhound I've never breed a first cross my self but owned pures when I was young the only reason I can see for using a big long distance grey is if your hunting hares and large deer cos I've hunted with pure greys and the better dogs for alround work were always smaller sprinter types they don't tend too over shoot there prey like bigger dogs

every one always says lurcher to lurcher.

There's a lad at my house breed first x bull grey from same bull twice.

Bull been dead nearly 20 year now and was ancient when it lined greys.

but was real McCoy 80s leggy racey type pure bull not shite going bout now size of doggie de boar and size of bulldog wide

Was breed to greyhounds that was killing foxes.

Out the two litters don't think there was any wastage in both litters.

I don't know if it was just a freak of nature.

But the first cross he kept from first litter was just a machine.

Racey type first X that would munch n munch with bite.

All the lurcher to lurcher type Bulls have never had bite like first x.

• Like 2

What's every ones opinion on first x grey no matter what it's mated too I often wonder why every one says you need a pure long distance greyhound I've never breed a first cross my self but owned pures when I was young the only reason I can see for using a big long distance grey is if your hunting hares and large deer cos I've hunted with pure greys and the better dogs for alround work were always smaller sprinter types they don't tend too over shoot there prey like bigger dogs

Some dogs are marathon but dont seem in much of a hurry to catch. Size doesnt say much about the greyhounds type has already said. Some of the coursing dogs are massive but bred for straight pace.

Back in time open coursing dogs were much smaller though and could weigh half that of modern dogs. I think I would be concerned more about soundness than speed.All greyhounds are fast.

• Like 1

Doubt id use a grey in any breeding , id rather do lurcher x lurcher or if i was breeding what would be a half x id rather use a coursing mutt than a grey , I think they have a lot more to offer than a grey does

but was real McCoy 80s leggy racey type pure bull not shite going bout now size of doggie de boar and size of bulldog wide

Thats hybrid vigour you can get a superman type machine that wont breed true again without breeding in and in. There is still good blood about but its getting rarer.

The only way I'd breed a 1st cross is if I had access to the best bull blood available,be interested in seeing the results..also be interested in seeing what the same bull blood would go like to good coursing blood.

well having 2 1xs = 1x collie x grey and 1x gsd x grey , both my dogs have been agile, fast enough to catch any rabbits, good stamina and in general tough dogs that handle the knocks pretty good. with any 1x its always a gamble which way the pups will go to either parent . meaning say 1x pit x grey, you might get one pup just like a leggy pit etc or just one like a greyhound , 4/8 x 4/8 can go either way :yes: .ive been very lucky with my 2 dogs ,as they really what I hoped for fast tough type lurchers ,they catch everything in the lamp they are slipped on :thumbs: . so ithink you need luck with any 1x, but as they say you have start with 1xs to get a lurcher line , and there some great lurcher x lurcher dogs out there doing great jobs :yes:

Thats hybrid vigour you can get a superman type machine that wont breed true again without breeding in and in. There is still good blood about but its getting rarer.

I think it was just a freak of nature.

Out all the lurcher to lurcher bull types I've seen since have never had same bite and could do same as that first X.

Was bout 24 inch n quite racey too.

it sounds like they had put a lot of thought into that mating, as it should be