Homemade Groundbait

If I'm making up groundbait, start with trout pellet, pour a little boiling water over it wait for it to soften up, add maize meal, tiger nut flour, crushed hemp, and hemp oil(Tesco)...mix it all up and form balls out of it

There's so much stuff you can use off the supermarket shelves, rather than paying tackle shop prices.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pheasant pellets work and there's free blue barrels full of them everywhere ;)

Now, now :laugh:

I've used chicken pellets to good effect. They break down really quickly and mixing them with halibut micro pellets makes for an easy way to always have some groundbait handy. Just scald it for a minute and drain to be able to make balls or a method mix, or catapult it in dry.

My usual groundbait additive is a mixture of crushed maize grains, hemp seeds and wheat. I soak it for 24 hours, drain it, then boil it for about an hour. For normal use I'll then rinse it and bag it up for the freezer once cooled. It can be added to some breadcrumb groundbait, maize flour and milled hemp in various quantities dependent on what I'm after.

Last summer I hit upon a great way of making groundbait entirely by accident. I had forgotten about some crushed maize / hemp / wheat I had boiling and left it longer than normal. When I went to look the water had almost boiled away and the mash was really sticky. Instead of rinsing it I stirred in some cornflour and hot chocolate mixture and left it to cool. Once I could handle it I made some snooker ball sized balls of groundbait and left them to cool and dry off in the basement.

2015-09-03%2017.00.29_zpsq9t4ajja.jpg

The balls are covered in a skin of starch from the boiled grains, and the corn flour and hot chocolate help stick the grains together. Once they have dried out I froze them and then used them for carp fishing. They can be thrown or catapulted quite a way or broken up into a PVA bag or put three or four on a PVA string and spod them in. Once in the water they break up naturally as the starch dissolves and the hot chocolate creates a cloud. If you don't use them all you can just pop them back in the freezer.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1

Get them in a bait blaster, you could put those balls out at 100yards if you need to

bait blaster? When i googled it ,i got images of some sort of cannon,like those home made spud firing type things ,that sea fishermen were firing there baits out with,is this what your reffering to?

Pheasant pellets work and there's free blue barrels full of them everywhere ;)

Now, now :laugh:

I've used chicken pellets to good effect. They break down really quickly and mixing them with halibut micro pellets makes for an easy way to always have some groundbait handy. Just scald it for a minute and drain to be able to make balls or a method mix, or catapult it in dry.

My usual groundbait additive is a mixture of crushed maize grains, hemp seeds and wheat. I soak it for 24 hours, drain it, then boil it for about an hour. For normal use I'll then rinse it and bag it up for the freezer once cooled. It can be added to some breadcrumb groundbait, maize flour and milled hemp in various quantities dependent on what I'm after.

Last summer I hit upon a great way of making groundbait entirely by accident. I had forgotten about some crushed maize / hemp / wheat I had boiling and left it longer than normal. When I went to look the water had almost boiled away and the mash was really sticky. Instead of rinsing it I stirred in some cornflour and hot chocolate mixture and left it to cool. Once I could handle it I made some snooker ball sized balls of groundbait and left them to cool and dry off in the basement.

2015-09-03%2017.00.29_zpsq9t4ajja.jpg

The balls are covered in a skin of starch from the boiled grains, and the corn flour and hot chocolate help stick the grains together. Once they have dried out I froze them and then used them for carp fishing. They can be thrown or catapulted quite a way or broken up into a PVA bag or put three or four on a PVA string and spod them in. Once in the water they break up naturally as the starch dissolves and the hot chocolate creates a cloud. If you don't use them all you can just pop them back in the freezer.

Why do you put them on a pva string if your spodding them ?

Edited by Fellman Mark

They don't fit inside the spod so I put them on a PVA string and lob out three or four in one go using the big rod. Otherwise I'd have to break them up and put the bits of one and a half or two at most in the rocket.

One other thing, you can use custard powder rather than hot chocolate powder to add flavour and stickiness. That is basically corn flour with vanilla flavouring.