Collie X Greyhound For Lamping Rabbits

1/2 greyhound x 1/2 collie ,3/4 greyhound x 1/4 collie or 5/8 greyhound x 3/8 collie which would you prefer and why ?

im asking this question as im looking for a dog for lamping rabbits mainly, the land i,ll be working is mixed arable and pasture with some ferreting.

manythanks plugster

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why your so set on a collie cross with exact breeding,,,get a lurcher with collie in the mix from good working parents ,,,you won't go far wrong

Never seen a lurcher mature at 12 months old

The fractions are far less important than WHICH collies and which greyhounds are used. Any greyhounds should be full distance rather than sprint dogs and should have had a reasonably injury free car

Posted Images

1/2 greyhound x 1/2 collie ,3/4 greyhound x 1/4 collie or 5/8 greyhound x 3/8 collie which would you prefer and why ?

im asking this question as im looking for a dog for lamping rabbits mainly, the land i,ll be working is mixed arable and pasture with some ferreting.

manythanks plugster

my dog is half x to half x put to a grey, so 3/4 grey 1/4 collie, but I say he hasn't thrown like a normal 3/4, I say he's closer to half x and he does alright on rabbits n other bits on mixed land

manythanks plugster

The fractions are far less important than WHICH collies and which greyhounds are used.

Any greyhounds should be full distance rather than sprint dogs and should have had a reasonably injury free career and collies are even more important to get right as they vary so much in temperament, courage and drive.

All in all you'd be better looking for a pup bred from two time served collie lurchers which have worked for a few seasons without baulking. You just missed a good litter on here and you'd do well to wait for the right ones as a good collie lurcher can be very good but bad ones can be exasperating. I've had a few of both types over the last 35 - 40 years and I've a pretty average one ATM.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 4

Here we go, brace yourself .......??????? HANCOCK?????????????????

I'd defo stay away from hancock they're not worth a w*nk, I've ran all 3 crosses you talk of and witnessed many others in the field both lamping and daytime, I've also ran crosses with collie/grey in them and the best bitch for rabbiting large number,s easy to train etc was a 3/8 collie/5/8 grey,ran all night with plenty of stamina and speed,she would take other stuff as well pre-ban, I found the first cross half/ half a touch slow on fast fields or faster stuff,maybe the raciest in a litter may be different but I've never seen one I wish I'd owned, the 3/4 grey/1/4 collie are quick and will catch 20 then run out of steam on a big night,they will catch bigger stuff and quicker making it look easy but I find that if you have them out in the day then expect a decent night lamping you're going to be disappointed, I can only speak for myself and I'm sure some will tell you different but I find they all start to "run clever" at some point,if they don't think its worth running they just won't go,that can be very frustrating when you've travelled an hour to get to your permission and the dog starts picking its own runs and not you,I find this starts around 5yrs old or so but have seen it earlier, here's a few pics of the better ones

• Like 3