Update On Jasper - Lots Of Pictures

well done jasper. he looks to have made a nice size. you got any recent pics of him stood side on?

15th may is the best most recent one :)

Ps. Happy first birthday Jasper

thanks for the pic. hes looks like hes got a big old lump of a head on him. looks well too, what height has he finished at?
Just measured him now although he doesn't make it easy he's 28" tts now :)

And roughly 34.5 kg (76lbs)

Edited by Olivia Marie Whiteside
  • Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Jaspers getting a big boy now I post all my pictures on Facebook but will find some of the best of him and upload to here for you all to see

Some from today

15th may is the best most recent one   Ps. Happy first birthday Jasper

Posted Images

He caught another today - not as big, also didn't see this one he just went into the bushes and fetched it out we thought it was a dead one till it started running - although this time jasper helped to dispatch of it by pulling its head off and swollowing whole as Adam was trying to get him to drop it Think it's safe to say Jasper definitely knows what he's doing now

No offence but a Lurcher isn't suppose to be killing and eating what it catches it is supposed to bring it back unmarked so you can eat it. Sounds like the dog is getting possisive maybe with the other dogs there its trying to eat so they cant have it.

He does fetch them back unmarked but just became a bit confused today as Adam didn't get there quick enough and told him to drop it after telling him to catch it again as it ran off then telling him to fetch etc think it was just a weird one over all happened pretty fast and don't think he wanted princess to get it - we don't eat rabbit i don't eat meat myself and the rabbits they catch are for them so doesn't make any difference to us plus a woman was close by watching us which I don't think helped the atmosphere etc

It's only his second rabbit he's caught so plenty of room for improvement not saying it's all prefect yet but I'm still rather proud of him

Hopefully once we have a car on the road etc he will see a lot more work but for now it's just what he finds on our usual walks - when it's season again etc we might take Vin up on his offer for him to talk us all out with his dogs as well as Jasper

I mean it's still early days he's only a year old plenty of years yet for him to perfect his technique

Fair play the dog is young but not a absolute puppy it shoud be learning by now a little, but whether you eat meat or not the dog should not be running after rabbits trying to eat them. It cant usually fetch either if it has only caught 2 either. My dog has never been a natural retriever and will never let me take a rabbit straight out of her mouth but she will carry it the lenght of a field and drop it at my feet, I have learned to live with it with a dog at 16 months old wont change too much from now with her retrival habbits, but plenty of guys on here feed the dogs on what they catch- Just not right away, I am not knit picking just giving advise a few people saying the dog looks great but if it runs off and eats a kill its not really a lurcher - like I said no offence meant no offence.

He will grow out of it, once he has caught a few and knows you want them, he will be eager to please you like most dogs. Don’t listen to the negative people. Work on his retrieve and release and you won’t have any bother, there are a lot of tutorial videos online. ATB with it

Thanks everyone - it's something we will work on but I mean I am surprised he didn't just eat in the bushes - and that he did at least fetch them both out and drop them (ok not close enough and allowed them to run but none the less) as he had no drive for toys of any kind so he's never really been taught to fetch - although we have tried in the past and he would do it a couple of times before getting bored so still a work in progress but I'm still proud of what he's done (of course apart from refusing to let go) he has an obsession with carrying things in his mouth that he's either attempting to eat or fetch into the conservatory - if he likes it it comes into the conservatory - so there is a lot of times we have to take things off him but as most dogs they don't always wish to give it up

Tug training might well be worth a go. If it goes to plan, you should get a 'give' and 'retrieve' quickly. Can also be incorporated into other aspects of training and I would imagine bully types will love it. Skycat wrote it up here:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/the-value-of-tug-games-with-puppies/

Loads of tug training vids on youtube as well.

Tug training might well be worth a go. If it goes to plan, you should get a 'give' and 'retrieve' quickly. Can also be incorporated into other aspects of training and I would imagine bully types will love it. Skycat wrote it up here:

I've read that before - I can't do tug games with my staffs as they just end up fighting ? In fact they can't have any toys due to the fact they destroy them and/or fight over them and jasper generally doesn't play tug he's usually pretty good at giving guess yesterday he knew it was his birthday so decided to push his luck haha but I am going to try and do some more fetch with him could probably do with getting a rabbit hide that's been tanned or something for training with him but we shall see what works with him :)

I've read that before - I can't do tug games with my staffs as they just end up fighting In fact they can't have any toys due to the fact they destroy them and/or fight over them and jasper generally doesn't play tug he's usually pretty good at giving guess yesterday he knew it was his birthday so decided to push his luck haha but I am going to try and do some more fetch with him could probably do with getting a rabbit hide that's been tanned or something for training with him but we shall see what works with him :)

Tug is a one to one activity. If you wanted to have a go at it, put the other dogs in the house and work with Jasper by yourself outside, only have to do a few minutes at a time. The tug toy is put out of the way when training session finishes - it's only for training time between you and him.

I've read that before - I can't do tug games with my staffs as they just end up fighting In fact they can't have any toys due to the fact they destroy them and/or fight over them and jasper generally doesn't play tug he's usually pretty good at giving guess yesterday he knew it was his birthday so decided to push his luck haha but I am going to try and do some more fetch with him could probably do with getting a rabbit hide that's been tanned or something for training with him but we shall see what works with him :)

Tug is a one to one activity. If you wanted to have a go at it, put the other dogs in the house and work with Jasper by yourself outside, only have to do a few minutes at a time. The tug toy is put out of the way when training session finishes - it's only for training time between you and him.

Going to try some stuff with him / we do have a small toy tyre up outside like a spring pole will see if he has a go with that also need to get some new rope type toys try and get him interested in toys as he's usually really not bothered unless he's found it outside and decides to walk around with it tossing it about (he's never really been a toy or teddy fan if I'm honest) might skin his next rabbit he catches and use that as a training "toy" and just freeze again after we have finished as I don't think I'd be very good at fleshing and tanning a hide

Going to try some stuff with him / we do have a small toy tyre up outside like a spring pole will see if he has a go with that also need to get some new rope type toys try and get him interested in toys as he's usually really not bothered unless he's found it outside and decides to walk around with it tossing it about (he's never really been a toy or teddy fan if I'm honest) might skin his next rabbit he catches and use that as a training "toy" and just freeze again after we have finished as I don't think I'd be very good at fleshing and tanning a hide

Great advice from that guy bit of one on one will do great, I bet that dog is quite intelligent sure it will pick it up in the end just wondering have the other dogs been there everytime? If so maybe take the dog for a a little lamp on its own in the cooler weather and see if you can't get a retrieve on the lamp my pup has never been too interested in toys for long like you said a skin will stir him up a bit more. Was never trying to be negative by the way just seen a few dogs get into bad habit's that sometimes stick.

Great advice from that guy bit of one on one will do great, I bet that dog is quite intelligent sure it will pick it up in the end just wondering have the other dogs been there everytime? If so maybe take the dog for a a little lamp on its own in the cooler weather and see if you can't get a retrieve on the lamp my pup has never been too interested in toys for long like you said a skin will stir him up a bit more. Was never trying to be negative by the way just seen a few dogs get into bad habit's that sometimes stick.

Don't worry about it I take criticism as well as positive - I mean I'm here to learn as well I'm pretty much a novice jasper is our first ever working dog and we didn't want him to start out too young so although we encouraged him to look for them and chase we never really expected him to get anything especially around here on our normal walks - princess has chased a fair few rabbits but never caught anything as they either disappear into the bushes (usually thorn ?) or under the fence that my dogs can't get under so the fact he actually went into the bushes next to that fence and fetched them out seemed pretty impossible even for the best of dogs I honestly don't know how he did it or how he knew anything was actually there / how it didn't get away - yes both the times he fetched something I had princess and my male staff bolt with me (bolt doesn't go off lead he doesn't do other dogs plus lives up to his name) as we weren't out actively hunting just went for a walk as the weather was cool enough I even had my 3 year old daughter with me both times so really wasn't expecting anything of him just yet

He does need some work on certain things and I'm glad of the advice and direction he is my partners dog (who is also on here just unable to post for whatever reason) he listens to him more than to me plus I'm currently heavily pregnant with bad pains so I'm pretty useless at the moment haha although by the time season comes back around he should be a lot more on his game and will most likely be taken out on his own although princess does like to bush at night time so can come in handy as well as if jasper can't get through or drops it early etc she's a good back up to catch it again (plus she loves to chase) and it would be nice if they could work together as a team as I try to keep princess as fit as possible

But again thankyou to everyone for your comments

• Like 1

sounds like you guys have your hands full!

It's all a learning curve and never stops, I was lucky that my father and uncle spent most of there youth with lurchers making mistakes and learning from it, so I had a good starting point and I still f****d up a good few times lol, best advise I can give you and believe me when I say it, I have a dalmatian that loves chasing everything it comes across but it loses control when it hunts and for me that is not the role of a lurcher, I work full time and have 3 kids its so hard to do some times, but try to make sure the lurcher is either separate or gets time alone for hunting, young dogs pick up a lot off older ones and that's great when the older ones know what there doing but if they don't it can be a do the opposite and that's not a swipe at the bulls, they just have a different role on the field - you where right in showing the dog not a lot in its early stages, if you can get that retrieval as early as possible you'll be half way there, (they usually f**k about with the first few kills) as it sounds like the dog will have problem catching. ATB S2H

• Like 1

Dog that size last thing on my mind would be worrying about retrieving lol I know every lurcher should catch rabbits etc but I wouldn't be too worried with that dog. Looks alot bigger than my bitch I had she was just under 29 and 73lb.

I'm probably being extremely dumb here but can't quite work out if that's a positive or negative - not quite understanding what your trying to say ?